Previous in Forum: Electrical-Mechanical Fasteners   Next in Forum: Intelligent Design
Close
Close
Close
9 comments

Wi-Fi Connection Between Control Room and Laser System

07/15/2007 11:45 AM

hi! i want to ask that how can communication between laser system and control room in co2 gas dynamic laser can be made wireless by using wi-fi.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 49

Re: wi-fi in gas dynamic lasers

07/16/2007 12:17 AM

How do they currently communicate?!

In reply to #1

07/16/2007 12:37 PM

Hi Vermin, thanks for replying.They currently communicate through fast ethernet using serial communication RS 485.Hope you will reply soon.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

07/17/2007 12:24 AM

As guest indicated, I think some caution is advised. Perhaps take a measure of ambient radio interference, both noise and frequency. Then start small and work up. If all you need is a single connection to the CO2 laser, then see what 802.11 can do for you. Make sure you turn on security.

And by the way, nothing against the Canadian mental hospital, but you don't have to go along with Nortel. Cisco and others have very sound wireless solutions. I would just take it one step at a time.

In reply to #4

07/17/2007 12:00 PM

could you help me by providing detailed info

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: Wi-Fi Connection Between Control Room and Laser System

07/16/2007 12:52 PM

It sounds like you're working in an Industrial environment so it would be prudent to maintain the current method of control and communications.

Wireless have 3 major problems. Absorption, reflection and interference all of which might cause you grief in an Industrial environment. Wireless is still too unreliable, too slow and full of security holes. I strongly recomend against it's use , specially in your case controlling a CO2 laser (a big source of interference ).

We have wireless in a Mental Hospital in Ottawa Ontario, Canada and it's been nothing but a nightmare from day one. We had more down time in the first week than in 10 years in a wired ethernet environment. Over 50% of the bandwidth is used for security and each PC is lucky If it gets 1 megabit of bandwidth versus almost 100 Megabits in a fast Ethernet wired environment.Unfortunately administration Ignored the advice of their IT staff and chose to believe every false promise that Nortell networks gave them to make the sale and now everyone is suffering from non stop problems. I can tell you from direct experience, DON"T GO WIRELESS !

Register to Reply

In reply to #3

07/17/2007 11:30 AM

Thanks! i will make it a point.But thing is that its my college project and have to do it.But im very confused how to do it.can you provide me some more information

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

07/17/2007 11:27 PM

A couple of questions...

What is your major?

What class is this project for?

And what year of college?

In reply to #7

07/18/2007 10:11 AM

Im final year student of Btech (electronics and communication).Im working on summer project which is based on 40kg co2 gas dynamic laser used for destroying targets.And now m struck between this communication part.m having basic knowledge on wi-fi but need help how to install it.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

07/22/2007 2:21 AM

Is it really that hard?!

You need two computers that can access Wi-Fi, either with something build into the motherboard or with a Wi-Fi card. Place a wireless router in the laser room or control room, and try to establish a Wi-Fi connection across the router from between the Laser computer and the control computer.

That's about it.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); snigdha (4); vermin (4)

Previous in Forum: Electrical-Mechanical Fasteners   Next in Forum: Intelligent Design

Advertisement