Previous in Forum: Wi-Fi Connection Between Control Room and Laser System   Next in Forum: Aluminum Foil, Fat and the Pan
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - United Kingdom - Member - Get things done!

Good Answers: 3

Intelligent Design

07/16/2007 5:00 AM

News from Turkey that there is a growing militant Islamic movement to have creationism taught as Science, much as Christian fundamentalist in the Bible belt of the US. I have no problem with creationism taught as a religious belief, but I struggle with the concept of it as fact. Mind you, could this be a common point of contact for the two groups?

http://www.independent.co.uk//eceRedirect?articleId=2768259&pubId=55

This discussion was "closed" on 07/16/2007 9:30 AM. No new comments are allowed.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662

Re: Intelligent Design

07/16/2007 5:27 AM

I feel both groups have sufficient common points already..

Unfortunately the more extreme and vociferous members of both are too entrenched to see them.

Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 1

07/16/2007 6:25 AM

As long as it is taught as a science then there should not be a problem as science is about quantifying things, examination of proofs and the connection of, current, proven facts. The problem will arise in the lack of commonality which will cause it to fall at the first hurdle as most people do not understand the difference between religion and faith.

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 4

07/16/2007 8:53 AM

I'll probably be blasted for this, but here goes. The word fundamentalist, I take as following with actions the fundamental beliefs of your religion. The fundamental beliefs of Islam (from the Koran) are essentially convert to Islam; if you don't, we have every right to kill you. The fundamental belief of Christianity (found in the New Testament - the teachings of Jesus) are essentially, love your God and love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus also taught us to love our enemies and to turn the other cheek. I don't know why Christians that DON'T follow these teachings are called Fundamentalists.

By the way, since it cannot be PROVEN, evolution requires faith as well.

Mike

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 662
In reply to #3

07/16/2007 8:59 AM

The fundamental beliefs of Islam (from the Koran) are essentially convert to Islam; if you don't, we have every right to kill you.

Nuffin to do wiv me mate...but I believe this is innacurate.

It's a matter of interpretation.

There are plenty of nutters from all faiths who interpret texts self evidently writtem by man, and often translated several times, as some sort of divine truth, when they are all open to many interpretations.

There are doubtless bits of these texts which can be used to justify whatever you want.

The obvious being 'turn the other cheek' vs 'an eye for an eye'.

This discussion was "closed" on 07/16/2007 9:30 AM. No new comments are allowed.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

davah (1); Del the cat (2); mikey (1)

Previous in Forum: Wi-Fi Connection Between Control Room and Laser System   Next in Forum: Aluminum Foil, Fat and the Pan
You might be interested in: Flat Belt Pulleys, V-belt Pulleys

Advertisement