Previous in Forum: AM Radio Interference in Jeep Patriot   Next in Forum: VRF System
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Power-User
United States - Member - NY Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - BSME Clarkson University '83 Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - First PC experience Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 7

Cable Modem Suggestions

09/28/2015 2:55 PM

I'm in the market for a new cable modem. I'm still using the one supplied by the cable company, but am tired of throwing my money away on the monthly fees. I'm on Time Warner. Does anybody have any recommendations? I know I can read reviews from Amazon and Newegg, etc., but value the opinions of the CR4 users more than those random users. Thanks!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: cable modem
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United States - Member - Lifelong New Yorker Popular Science - Biology - Animal Science Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Technical Writer

Good Answers: 59

Re: Cable Modem Suggestions

09/28/2015 3:03 PM

First, you'll want to choose one that's approved by Time Warner to ensure that it'll work.

I took my dad's old modem (he canceled with Comcast) and then bought a wireless router. I'm happy with both and will look up the models when I get home. I also got a wifi range extender because my laptop (and only my laptop) kept disconnecting from wifi.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #1

09/29/2015 9:38 AM

"First, you'll want to choose one that's approved by Time Warner to ensure that it'll work." (Link removed for clarity)

Excellent response, gets right to the heart of the matter: The cable companies can and do query the cable modems to find make, model and serial number, it's how they confirm which modem belongs to which user account, since they have their database at the home office with the records.

Another thing to remember is that modems are regularly added to and REMOVED FROM that list.

Here in Chicago, Comcast did a 'service upgrade' a couple of years back, which required new cable modems.

If you were renting your cable modem from Comcast, you got a new modem shipped to you to swap out on the changeover date, then send the old modem back in the same box the new one came in.

If you were using your own modem, you had to go running around to all the electronics stores trying to find a make and model that was on Comcast's 'new list,' and not every store had gotten the new list yet, or had updated their shelf displays yet, or they had hired brain-dead marmosets to staff their internet connectivity section. And after you found the new modem, you had to buy it with your own money, and hope you could get a couple of bucks selling the old modem on Craigslist.

Well, you didn't HAVE to go through all that, Comcast was perfectly willing to rent you the new modem, even if you had impolitely told them where they could stick the older model, AND made disparaging remarks about the quality and species of the parents of Comcast executives and 'lackeys' (employees). That might be the only good thing about modern corporations: no matter how badly you burn your bridges with them, as long as you didn't do something like rack up a big debt with them then get that debt canceled, they're always willing to sell/rent to you again.

It's like the cable boxes themselves: They're only good until some genius comes up with some new wrinkle in the signal/data transmission scheme, then all the old hardware becomes useless, and new hardware is required. And since encryption/compression methods are considered 'intellectual property,' the cable companies jealously guard that information, making sure you pay, either by renting the box from them, or, if you have a box that uses the 'M-card' or whatever they're calling it now, making you rent the M-card from them, until they come up with a new version of M-card that is incompatible with the old M-card capable boxes.

Bottom line is that it can be a real headache, and costly, to maintain your own cable modem, since Time Warner simply has to decide, "Let's mess with the people who don't want to use our hardware" and you end up with Yet Another Bad Day.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #6

10/13/2015 12:34 PM

As an update: Comcast is planning another 'upgrade' to their services in Chicago, and it turned out that two of our boxes needed to be replaced. so about two weeks ago the replacement boxes came in and we shipped the old boxes back. (Well, we hiked them over to the local Comcast Service Center to turn them in, it's close by and we didn't have to deal with the hassles of stuffing the old boxes into the shipping boxes and calling UPS for a pickup.)

So, to reiterate; even though I sound like a shill, it's better to just rent the cable modem from the cable company than purchase your own. I still have the first cable model I got for the house sitting in the basement. It worked just fine until Comcast did a 'service upgrade' and the modem was 'removed from the approved list' for 'being too slow.'

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 202

09/28/2015 4:23 PM

I've had cable for over 30yrs and have gone through several cable company supplied modems and one I purchased. The latest one is a cable company supplied ARRIS m/n TM 722G/CT. It's been installed for several years with the only problems being curable by rebooting it by unplugging and re-plugging.

I have had great success with other types of NetGear apparatus such as routers, switches, etc. If they make a modem I would definitely put it on the top of my "to be compared" list with an asterisk for good past performance.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Good Answers: 1726

09/28/2015 5:07 PM

Good Answers: 1662

09/28/2015 5:28 PM

Please let us know what you buy, and why.

I've got a Scientific Atlanta modem and a Linksys router. Never had any complaints with either. They're both 10 years old and I see new ones in my future, soon.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1726
In reply to #4

09/28/2015 5:30 PM

I have the same...no problems....

Anonymous Poster #1

10/13/2015 9:10 AM

Dear All,

Try this out, hope can help Thanks

Link http://goo.gl/iuMTM6

Regards

CR4 Admin - Hyperlink Removed

This shortened URL links to an unknown location. Copy and paste into your browser at your own risk.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #7

10/13/2015 10:13 AM

Hey, AP#1, this isn't Twitter, you don't need to shorten your URLs here.

Doing so makes you look like someone trying to trick people into D/Ling viruses.

Doing it as an AP only makes you look even MORE guilty, butt-stain.

So get out of here, any you can cram your lousy malware so far up your keister it pops out your mouth like the other crap you're spewing.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Power-User
United States - Member - NY Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - BSME Clarkson University '83 Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - First PC experience Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 7

10/16/2015 11:23 AM

Again, thanks for all of the great feedback. I just wanted to close the loop on this. I purchased an ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, which was on the Time Warner list of approved modems, and has great reviews everywhere I looked. This modem is capable of speeds up to 343 Mbps download and 131 Mbps upload. The fastest download speed available by Time Warner in my area is 50 Mbps, so this should cover me for the foreseeable future.

There were a couple of other things I neglected to mention in my original post.

The first is that I was paying for 30 Mbps, but didn't realize my old modem was only capable of 15 Mbps until a Time Warner support person brought it to my attention. Time Warner credited my account for the full modem rental fee ($8/month) for the entire time that I had been paying for the increased speed.

The second item is that I also have phone service through Time Warner. In case anybody doesn't know, if you have your own cable modem, Time Warner lets you keep your old modem for the phone free of charge. So I just needed to split the cable and run one line to the old modem (for the phone) and another to the new modem. Then I just needed to call Time Warner with the MAC address so that they could activate the modem.

I'm also using my old router. Most of the recommendations I saw online were to not use a modem/router, but to use a separate modem and router. This allows you to specify each component individually, and upgrade one without having to change the other. In my case, since I was keeping my router, it also saved me money.

I made sure to run a speed test before and after installing the modem to make sure I was getting what I was paying for. I'm now getting as high as 37-38 Mbps, where I was only getting about 12 Mbps before. This makes a big difference when streaming media. My Roku 2 hardly takes any time to buffer now, compared to before the upgrade.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

8320 (1); adreasler (2); Anonymous Poster (2); lyn (1); old salt (1); SavvyExacta (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: AM Radio Interference in Jeep Patriot   Next in Forum: VRF System

Advertisement