Previous in Forum: Shuttle Challenger   Next in Forum: How Do Gravitational Waves Propagate?
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 206

New Bomber?

02/26/2016 1:19 PM

is this next in the fleet?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

Re: new bomber?

02/26/2016 1:23 PM

Maybe there should just be a decimal point between the 2 and 1. Or call the old one beta and this one gamma.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 282

Kinder, Gentler, Cheaper Bomber

02/26/2016 1:48 PM

From the Wiki article about the B-21:

"On 6 January 2011, Secretary of Defense Gates made a speech on the U.S. defense budget for FY 2012, which announced major investment in developing a long-range, nuclear-capable bomber, also to be optionally remotely piloted."

Uhhhh... how long until I can get an app for that?

Good Answers: 1727

02/26/2016 1:52 PM
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

02/26/2016 2:01 PM

A new mascot for my local high-school team--the Richland Bombers.

(The name was adopted from being locally the producers of plutonium for the Trinity test and the Nagasaki bomb. There was a recent effort to change the name, but the vote was to keep the existing one.)

Good Answers: 1662

02/26/2016 3:40 PM

How about this for a mix of proven airframe technology and new technology at a fraction of the B21 Billion dollar airplane.

Guru

Good Answers: 60
In reply to #5

02/26/2016 5:43 PM

Lockheed D-21 ramjet powered drones from the 1960's - incredible machines.

Guru

Good Answers: 206
In reply to #6

02/26/2016 6:12 PM

that needs its own thread with pics

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177

02/27/2016 8:22 AM

Why spend tens of billions of $$$ when you can reconfigure the B-1B Lancer and B-52H BUFFs into "stand-off" weapons platforms, especially in light that the ChiComs have compromised our Stealth technology. More bang for the Buck.

SMH is disgust.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #8

02/29/2016 10:09 AM

Why spend the money? it's to feed the Industrial Side of the Military-Industrial Complex of course.

You mean you haven't seen the cycle of "New weapons Development" before: (Names changed to protect the guilty.

1. Skunkheed designs a new weapons platform to defeat the latest weapon platform that has been deployed by the enemy.
  2. Congress authorizes purchase of 'one metric boatload' of those weapons, in a bill spearheaded by Senator Graft Kickback and Senator Bloated Porkbelly, two former lobbyists for Skunkheed before they got into elected politics.
  3. The weapons platform ages, and gets sold to 'our allies,' including allies who don't really like us very much.
  4. Senators Kickback and Porkbelly retire from politics to work as 'sales consultants' for Skunkheed, their replacements, coincidentally leaving their former jobs as members of the Skunkheed 'Pro-Defense' Super-PAC, are the new senators Revolving Door and SameAs TheOldBoss.
  5. 'Somehow,' the weapons platform ends up in the hands of a military or paramilitary force that the USA considers 'too unstable/immature/'anti-American' to have such tech.
  6. Return to step one, rinse and repeat, endlessly.
( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #11

02/29/2016 12:04 PM

Hey, I've got a great idea.

Let's build a wall between Mexico and the USA!

Never mind that it is impossible and such a wall puts many ranchers and their land on the Mexican side of it.

Let's see, it's never been tried, unless you count all the failed attempts so far, as not existing.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #12

02/29/2016 6:05 PM

"such a wall puts many ranchers and their land on the Mexican side of it"

REALLY? Many? Can YOU name any? How about, as my wife put it, the border is the Rio Grand River. How can they be US citizens and on the Mexican side of it? And if the run cattle on Mexican territory (I could see that), then I think Cliven Bundy and his clan have a major case against the US Government for not wanting THEM to run cattle on uninhabited AMERICAN land.

But maybe I'm trying to conflate two separate issues of which I don't know enough.

So, back to the start.

REALLY? Many? Can YOU name any?

In reply to #13

02/29/2016 9:00 PM

Yes, Pamela Taylor for one. How many would you like? There are many more. You can do the research yourself. It isn't difficult.

It's really simple. Your wife is wrong! The fences that have been built, so far, DO NOT follow the international border in some/many cases. After all, it's 2,000 miles long!

So, some property that is north of the international border is "on the Mexican side" of the fence. That is what I said, and that is true.

Your defense of domestic terrorists, such as the Bundy clan, is just proof that you don't respect the laws of the land.

I can guess who you will support in the next election.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

In reply to #14

03/01/2016 1:27 AM

"I can guess who you will support in the next election."

I doubt it. Don't make rash predictions.

And a fence that doesn't actually follow the border it purports to defend, is a MONUMENT to a MONUMENTAL lie. I wouldn't support such a fence for love nor money.

I'm assuming from your knowledge that the fence proposals of which you are aware are for "fences" set back from our border, to allow a "no man's land", ostensibly for enforcement purposes. I understand the logic of such proposals, but wouldn't trust the bloat-O-cracy in DC to actually define the "acceptable" fence by that rule. They'd pay lip service to the idea, because it would provide them cover to define it any way that suited their own pockets and projects. Then they'd design or approve it in the way the would suit them, and security be hanged. After all, a few more dead border patrol or other LE agents is no big deal when there are millions of dollars to be made.

But why should I be pleased or concerned that a (presumably) large-scale business operation doesn't respect our borders any more than the illegals who cross it at will?

Or why should we defend the business that doesn't respect our borders?

Inquiring minds SHOULD want to know these things, and WON'T get straight or trust-worthy answers from the Federal Government. THIS inquiring mind DOES want to know. Please enlighten me.

Thank you.

And, let me apologize. I did not expect anyone to actually have knowledge of anyone so affected. I should have known better.

In reply to #15

03/01/2016 2:18 AM

It is obvious to me that you cannot comprehend reality.

"a fence that doesn't actually follow the border it purports to defend" is what we now have. If you, and your wife, don't know that, there's no hope for you.

http://azc.cc/1Rfzni4

Guru

In reply to #16

03/02/2016 6:45 AM

I ask for knowledge, given from your perspective, since you clearly have more detailed and intimate knowledge than I, out of respect for what I've seen of your writing and thinking. I haven't always agreed with you, but I've never insulted you, nor your family.

What I get in return is insults.

Goodbye.

Good Answers: 11
In reply to #16

03/24/2016 3:26 PM

This is easy. First, forget about "international borders". Just get it right with respect to the US BORDER. All those incorrect "fences"? Bypass them with a correctly placed WALL. Let the illegals pay tolls to cross the old fence sections......just for practice, that are on the Mexican side.

Impossible to build a wall you say? Then just what in the @%#&$$ are you doing on this site, anyway, lyn? Such an undertaking too tall for you? Give me a break.

You really think building a wall across rock, sand, and such, is an impossible challenge?? Across Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California??? Really???

Your saying building such a wall is impossible.......is like saying "we couldn't possibly deport 12 million people back where they belong.....when they ALL own cars.....!!!

I have spent YEARS driving all over the US-Mexican boarder, and I know it well. This wall building is EASY PEASY! And, yes, if Mexico values its trade positions and opportunities with the US, then it WILL build the wall on ITS side of the border.....to ENFORCE trade laws, if nothing else. Then, the US can build its wall on its side of the border. The land in between, then, is "no man's land".

After the wall(s) are built, the only crossings will be at border crossing check points.

And, finally, the easiest border to enforce.....is one enforced using LETHAL FORCE for all violators. Not many takers on those bets that one will make it across.

Reminds me......remember the Berlin Wall? Seemed it worked rather well.....

Yes, we need to be working on a new bomber that will meet the challenges coming from China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran before they challenge us further. Takes YEARS to get such technology in the air.

Anonymous Poster #1

02/27/2016 10:18 AM

Yes! I just learned of that designation yesterday. We are making some parts for it.

Guru

Good Answers: 1727

Re: New Bomber?

02/28/2016 12:17 AM

..."Analysts say the program will be worth around $80 billion in total, providing a boon to Northrop and its key suppliers, but the Air Force has said only that it expects to pay $511 million per plane in 2010 dollars.

John Michael Loh, a retired four-star U.S. Air Force general, has urged the Air Force to name Northrop's suppliers to shore up support in Congress, and avoid a rerun of the B-2 bomber program, which was scaled back from 132 planes to just 21, which drove the price of each plane sharply higher."...

One can only hope....

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Anonymous Poster (1); CaptMoosie (1); Doorman (1); energyconversion (1); Fredski (1); lyn (4); micahd02 (3); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (2); wolfie62 (1)

Previous in Forum: Shuttle Challenger   Next in Forum: How Do Gravitational Waves Propagate?

Advertisement