Previous in Forum: CR4 About Us   Next in Forum: 15 Cargo Ships Pollute More Than All Cars in the World
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

What is the Best Coating/Printing Method for Nonwoven Fabric?

03/15/2016 4:37 PM

I thought I had an easy assignment here but am currently in a state of confusion. I'm working with a 100 foot long roll of lightweight (30 gsm) polyester (PET) nonwoven fabric (spunbond). The roll is a foot wide and I want to add two stripes of color that run the length of the roll, are about 2" apart and are 3" wide.

I thought I would find a contract firm to do this work but my volumes are two low for their large machines. So, I have started to look at purchasing small equipment to apply a coating (reverse roll, rotary screen print, and many other traditional approaches). Mixing colors and controlling the process seem to be a lot of work but maybe it's just that I need more experience.

But, I've also thought about digital printing and it does seem that others are using ink jet systems and similar for printing of label stock and many other similar items. The volumes seem to make sense and at these small volumes I'm wondering if the economics for either a coating or printing technology are fairly similar.

And, that's where I'm stuck. I've been searching and searching without finding exactly what I want. Many of the traditional systems are geared toward larger volumes such as wallpaper and the newer digital/ink jet approaches are for batch production (sheets of paper, sports jerseys, etc.). I did speak with some label companies (there are many) but the colors are too limited.

While I'd certainly like a simple answer of "call this company and they have what you want". But, I'd be very happy just to gain better insight into all the coating and printing approaches I've mentioned above. In many ways, I feel like I've made this all up or I'm assuming I know more than I do (in either case, that's a hollow feeling). I'd just like to get pointed in the right direction.

Can anyone help me? I'll be very grateful!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: What is the Best Coating/Printing Method for Nonwoven Fabric?

03/15/2016 5:44 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to just reorder some striped....not like it's expensive...barring that I would try some fabric spray...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bk0bhBbANI

http://www.fabricspraypaint.com/

In reply to #1

03/21/2016 8:49 AM

Interesting videos of a product I didn't know existed. But, I'm looking to apply a line of adhesive on a roll of material. The line can only be, say, 1/16" (1.5 mm) wide. And, ideally, it would be half that width. It has to be applied in a much more precise manner than shown in the video. Thanks for your suggestion!

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #8

03/22/2016 2:23 AM

In your original post, you said you needed 2 lines of color. Now you're saying it is an adhesive. That is why we should talk. I PM'd you my number. Call me.

Good Answers: 1662

03/15/2016 5:55 PM

One side, or both?

How well defined do the edges need to be?

Can you use tape?

Details please.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #2

03/21/2016 8:45 AM

The adhesive is on one side and should not bleed through the sheet. Tape is not used in such applications to my knowledge but I'm always open to new ideas. We have thought about applying a narrow adhesive film but am not aware of any products at 1/32" width. The edges need some definition (again, no bleed through) but can't say I can be more specific in terms of edge definition.

Thank you for your interest. Any other thoughts? Ideas?

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194

03/16/2016 1:35 AM

Hi MillMatt,

I have experience in roll coating/laminating. I am not in that market any more, but I have contacts. One company I worked for has a coater that can be set up for zone coating that might be utilized for this application.

What I would need is a physical sample of what the end product looks like - a photo might do, but a physical sample is best.

Important things to know:

• The surface characteristics of the NWF.
  • How durable the coating needs to be (usually, in this case, how thick the print/coating needs to be).
  • What volumes are we talking about?

There are a variety of coating methods. Answers to the above will help to narrow the list.

Mike

Anonymous Poster #1

03/16/2016 6:00 PM

Find a newly paved highway that needs a double yellow line, and roll out a spool of fabric just before the paint truck drives over.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1728
In reply to #4

03/16/2016 11:01 PM
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

03/17/2016 8:15 AM

The only companies I know for solvent based inks a UK based. They aren't likely to be interested in anything under 25 litre.

Have a look for a food packaging manufacturer that prints their own packaging.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); lyn (1); Mikerho (2); MillMatt (2); SolarEagle (2); TonyS (1)

Previous in Forum: CR4 About Us   Next in Forum: 15 Cargo Ships Pollute More Than All Cars in the World

Advertisement