Previous in Forum: What Is It Where Do You Find It?   Next in Forum: Nickel Wire 0.025-mm Diameter 99.9% Pure
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Associate

2061-35-ALF: The Principles For Applications of Gas Discharge Tube Arresters

03/22/2017 1:47 AM

I read an electronic magazine in which there is a report on the working principles for applications of Gas Discharge Tube Arresters (GDT) . After reading, I became interested in gas discharge tube arresters. So I searched some related materials and information about this topic, but found that it is not specific at all. So I come to this forum to turn to you to discuss my understandings on this forum are appropriate.

Here are my following understandings:

The gas discharge tube includes diodes and triodes, the voltage range from 75V-3500V, more than one hundred kinds of specifications, in strict accordance with the CITEL standard production, monitoring and management. Discharge tube is commonly used in the first or first two stages of the multi-stage protection circuit, which discharges the lightning transient overcurrent and limits the overvoltage action.

Surge voltage generation and suppression principle

In the electronic system and network lines, often subject to external transient over-voltage interference, these interference sources include: due to off-duty inductive load or start and stop high-power load, line failure and other operating overvoltage; due to lightning and other natural phenomena Lightning surge. This overvoltage (or overcurrent) is called a surge voltage (or surge current) and is a transient interference. Surge voltage can seriously compromise the safety of electronic systems. Elimination of surge noise interference, to prevent the surge has been the relationship between the safe and reliable operation of electronic equipment, the core issue. In order to avoid the surge voltage damage to electronic equipment, the general use of diversion defense measures, that is, the surge voltage in a very short period of time with the earth short, so that the surge current into the ground, to weaken and eliminate overvoltage, over current purposes, Thus playing the role of protecting the safe operation of electronic equipment.

Surge voltage suppression device classification

Surge voltage suppression devices can be divided into two main types. The first type is a crow bar device. Its main feature is the device after the breakdown of the residual pressure is very low, so not only conducive to the rapid release of surge voltage, but also greatly reduce power consumption. In addition, the type of device leakage current is small, the device between the electrode capacitance is small, so the impact on the line is very small. Commonly used pry bar devices include gas discharge tube, air gap surge protector, silicon bi-directional symmetrical switch (CSSPD) and so on.

Another type of clamp protection device, that is, after the breakdown of the protection device, the voltage across the breakdown voltage is no longer rise in the clamp to play a protective role. Commonly used clamp protector is zinc oxide varistor (MOV), transient voltage suppressor (TVS) and so on.

The structure and basic principle of gas discharge tube

Gas discharge tube with ceramic sealed package, the internal by two or several with a gap of metal electrodes, filled with inert gas (argon or neon) composition. When the voltage applied to the two electrodes reaches the gas breakdown in the gas discharge tube, the gas discharge tube starts to discharge, and the high resistance becomes low resistance, so that the voltage across the electrode does not exceed the breakdown voltage.

Those are just my understandings. Excuse me if I mistake in the word expressions.I hope that you can help me correct my mistake. What is your idea ? Do you agree with my ideas ? Any of your ideas would be highly appreciated.

May someone would like to help ?

thanks in advance.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 427

Re: 2061-35-ALF: the principles for applications of Gas Discharge Tube Arresters.

03/22/2017 9:27 AM

Congratulations on your command of the English language. You know English much better than I know German, French, or Hangul.

What you have written about gas discharge tubes and other surge suppression devices such as MOV's, TVS's is correct as far as I can tell. The silicon bi-directional switch could be a TVS (two series connected Zener diodes for AC circuits or a single Zener diode for DC circuits) but I think it is back-to-back thyristors with a gate drive circuit that is designed to fire above a certain voltage. The difference is that thyristor based devices crow-bar the bus down to near zero voltage (forward drop of the thyristor) while a Zener based TVS limits voltage to the Zener voltage of the diode (reversed bias breakdown). This difference might make choosing one over the other fairly significant.

In the Zener based TVS, the bus voltage is clamped at the Zener voltage, so in theory, the circuits being supplied power can still work until an over-current protection device interrupts current. So, for small surges, a TVS will not take down the power supply and the loads may continue working without interruption.

However, for a thyristor based crow-bar device, once it fires, it pulls down the bus voltage to near zero volts and it won't reset until the current reaches (nearly) zero, meaning that the over-current protection device has opened in most cases. This means that the device being powered will experience a loss of power.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Associate

Re: 2061-35-ALF: The Principles For Applications of Gas Discharge Tube Arresters

03/22/2017 10:04 PM

Thanks for your fast reply and your great answer. I accept your explanation. Though my English is my second language, I can use it very well in proper occasions. Thanks for your encouragements. I will carry on and keep moving. thanks a lot.

Good Answers: 13

Re: 2061-35-ALF: The Principles For Applications of Gas Discharge Tube Arresters

03/24/2017 2:02 AM

I learned about protection devices with the Littlefuse GDT Catalog (pdf online), where different technologies are discussed. You might want to take a look.

In reply to #3

03/24/2017 2:17 AM

Thanks for your reply. Could you please tell me some links for pdfs so that I can take a look to them ? thanks in advance.

03/24/2017 6:09 AM

Any further questions about this topic, please feel free to visit the site at the following link: http://www.kynix.com/Detail/5119/2061-35-ALF.html.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (1); Ivanov327950 (1); kynix (3)

Previous in Forum: What Is It Where Do You Find It?   Next in Forum: Nickel Wire 0.025-mm Diameter 99.9% Pure

Advertisement