Previous in Forum: Steam Turbines   Next in Forum: Environmental Website Recommendations
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Participant

Low Energy Ideas

08/23/2007 11:56 AM

I am looking for green, cost effective, low energy ideas to remove carbon monoxide from polluted air. The concept is an air scrubber that could be used in high polution areas near congested freeways. Cleaned air would be ducted into adjacent public buildings such as libraries, Internet cafes, clinics etc. This scrubber would address muliple toxins from automotive exhaust, not just CO2 (as is the most fashionable topic these days.)

My preference would be a natural plant based solution. Chlorophytum comosum (Spider Plant) absorbs CO, but a napkin calculation indicates it would take over 2000 plants to absorb the CO from a single SUV traveling 15,0000 miles per year.

What other means of natural (or at least low cost and non polluting) CO mitigation are there?

Thanks much.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United States - Member - I am a Yankee Doodle Boy. Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Old School is the best school. Safety - ESD - Safety Mgr that keeps the peace Hobbies - DIY Welding - My Motto:

Good Answers: 26

Re: Low Energy Ideas

08/23/2007 4:16 PM

I could be very wrong here but I seem to recall sometime ago that bubbling CO through water allowed it to somehow become safe or something like that.

This is a very vague recollection and I hope some of the more skilled professional in this area respond to this one.

Good Answers: 1

Re: Low Energy Ideas

08/23/2007 10:49 PM

Hi W,

Plants are a good start, something I found a while ago is that there are 2 differant plant energy conversion engines.

1. Carbon - 3 - Normal

2. Carbon - 4 - More productive

I have tried on several occations to find a plant classification document, no luck todate.

As your napkin calculation indicated a lot of plants are needed, that is their efficiancy is low approx. 0.5 - 1%, plus they run backwards at night, (produce CO2) I think most of that is due to leaks in the stomata (surface control valves).

Hope that heaps abit .....................

Regards, Macker - Mech/Eng. Designer

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Steam Turbines   Next in Forum: Environmental Website Recommendations

Advertisement