Previous in Forum: Is this a contradiction?   Next in Forum: Why Roofs can't be made reflective?
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

Adhesive for chemicals and vacuum

08/27/2007 12:22 PM

I have an old emergency response patching kit for leaking tank trucks. It contains a silicone base adhesive for the patch (80ml Silikonenkit by Den Braven Sealants B.V.) It is probably not any good after being in a hot "garage" for 20 years. I cannot find it in the US. Is there a comparable material that is generally chemical resistant, good for 0.7-0.8 bar, good upon application and removable?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - Cardio-7

Good Answers: 10

Re: Adhesive for chemicals and vacuum

08/28/2007 8:50 AM

Try Dow Corning as a starting point.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

08/28/2007 9:17 AM

It depends on what chemicals it needs to be resistant to. Just an offhand guess, but because you have them under vacuum I think its fairly save to assume its not an organic solvent like acetone or alcohol. Your level of vacuum isnt high enough to worry so much about the performance of the sealant with regards to outgassing, gas diffusion etc, so anything mechanically strong enough that you can make a consistant seal with should do the trick. Have you considered just regular crazy glue for small patches? Or fast setting Liquid Nails (which I think is also silicone based, come in a caulk tube and you can buy it at any hardware store)? I think everything is going to boil down to chemical compatibillity though

Register to Reply
Participant

08/28/2007 9:36 AM

Does it have to be a liquid adhesive or could it be pressure sensitive?

08/28/2007 1:00 PM

Thanks to all, #3 - pressure sensitive is acceptable provided it is removable, chemical resistant and sticks with the vacuum. I'll call the web contact.

#1- I'll call the web contact

#2 - I agree it depends on the substrate and chemical compatibility -- This is for stopping a leak on a rail car or tank truck. There is no specific chemical. The original spec was hydrochloric acid. It could also be an organic, caustic material or even an alcohol ... so we may be faced with getting different sealants for different "leaks." Silicon based, caulk-like material seems to be the closest thing I can find right now. (I have learned the shelf life is usually 12 months, not 20 years!)

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

01/24/2009 7:39 PM

Is this an old emergency kit you found, or is this something that is associated with your job?

If you found it, throw it away. If your job is to refurbish it, have a certified organization do it.

Not that anything 20 years old would be relevant today.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Cardio07 (1); engnmore (1); Jim P (1); lyn (1)

Previous in Forum: Is this a contradiction?   Next in Forum: Why Roofs can't be made reflective?

Advertisement