CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Humanoid Robot Contest 2017 from Robohub   Next in Forum: Upcoming Technologies in 2018
Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 85

UFO?

12/18/2017 8:22 AM

A little break from the usual engineering topics courtesy of the pentagon.

I saw this floating around in the news and wondered if anyone would chime in with a plausable explanation. This footage is not very amazing, but noteworthy..

Why is the clip so short? It's the rotation that interests me!? And where's the "fleet"?

I think an explanation will present itself otherwise it wouldn't be released, but wouldn't it be nice if there were no explanation?

The fact that the footage comes from a program to investigate UFO's makes it all little more interesting.

Santa?

Happy Monday!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 788

Re: UFO?

12/18/2017 9:27 AM

There will always be unkown phenomena.

In this particular clip I suspect this is an artifact of the imaging optics (condensation on the inside of protective canopy?) that happens to be roughly centered in the camera's view. This is just my suspicion because there is not enough information to explain this. We will never get all of the picture every time. The fact that some things cannot be explained does not mean that there are or are not visitors from other places, solar systems, dimensions or time lines. (Now that's a baffling multiple negative statement.) It means that we are perplexed to explain what is happening.

It is fun to speculate what might be happening. A WAG, friends and a good beer go well together.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #1

12/18/2017 10:09 AM

A more correct term would be "unidentified image".

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #1

12/18/2017 11:57 PM

"There will always be unknown phenomena."

Correct. If you look at the following video on youtube, 'Chile UFO releases gas' - it is just a plane flying through air close to saturation; the exhaust causes condensation which looks black under the infra red - therefore, 'UFO is releasing gas to kill ..........' -

It looks just like flying through air near the H2O dew point.

Good Answers: 1606
In reply to #16

12/19/2017 12:10 AM

This was best summed up by former Secretary of Defense of the USA, Donald Rumsfeld in 2002.

He said:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know."

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 631

12/18/2017 11:31 AM

I'm curious how the F/A-18 was able to keep the 'UFO' exactly in the center of the radar image during the encounter. Until the very end of the video there was not a smidgen of left-right or up-down drift of the bogey. I know these pilots are good, but nobody is that perfect.

I suspect there was a glitch in the radar creating this image, an internal electronic echo. They were pursuing a glitch; a bunch of noise glitches creating the look of a 'fleet' of UFOs.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 12

12/18/2017 11:58 AM

The aerodynamics of the (image in question) that is (gently turning to port) directly in front of the F-18 would seem to defy friction effects of a (traditional) aircraft, doesn't it?...

Also, no (date stamp) is clearly shown on the footage to help place the time of the event ...

Just as an aside, what do you think the (small white dot) is that slowly progresses from the upper left-hand corner of the screen to the upper center of the screen...?

Good Answers: 1190

12/18/2017 12:41 PM

They seem to have landed....

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 132

12/18/2017 12:42 PM

A blob of something sticky on the lens. You can tell that the depth of field of the clouds beyond is.. well beyond. While the blob is right on top of it. The lens itself starts to rotate toward the end, notice the angle of the clouds has changed before the blob itself starts to move - likely because of the angle change it begins to be pushed along the glass.

The comment "it's rotating" may have referred to the lens itself not to the "unidentified blobject".

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #6

12/18/2017 12:51 PM

But, it look's like a flyin' purple people eater to me ! ...

(Maybe, it just wants to get a job in a rock 'n roll band ? ...)

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

In reply to #7

12/18/2017 1:11 PM

Yeh, if it wasn't actually plastered onto the glass it could almost pass for a runaway kite at the end there.... Edit that video! It needs to be shortened so reality doesn't distract from improbability.

In reply to #6

12/18/2017 1:27 PM

Agree! Like so many UFOs outside the ISS that are obvious reflection elements in whatever viewing port the supposed craft is observed.. at a later date.. those mib pilots have quite the duty.

Good Answers: 639

12/18/2017 1:27 PM

Reflections have been known to undergo some incredible accelerations and flying maneuvers!

Register to Reply
Guru

12/18/2017 2:40 PM

This is either an unheard of demonstration of piloting skills or a hoax.

I don't care how good you are, to keep the target exactly stationary while executing a turn like that is impossible. Notice that the artificial horizon doesn't move relative to the plane, which is not unusual for a properly executed coordinated turn. But keeping the target exactly stationary is, I think, impossible.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

12/18/2017 3:11 PM

The target is mirroring his manures.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #12

12/18/2017 3:58 PM

manure is correct!

In reply to #12

12/18/2017 4:39 PM

Maybe. That makes more sense.

As you can see by the HUD in the video, the plane is in a normal, smooth left turn, not climbing, not diving.

12. The circle with three protruding lines (wings and tail) is the velocity vector and is utilized in attacks, landing and other maneuvers.

15. It indicates the horizon, relative to the aircraft.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 72

12/18/2017 11:05 PM

An electric storm can produce a lighting fireball, I've also wondered if a storm can also produce a small electro magnet spin, that attracts some cloud to produce a saucer shaped object, and this object could be dangerous? as history tells us, that small aircraft in the past, have come to a tragic end, when they went to close.

Regards JD.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 4

12/19/2017 10:10 AM

Aura ?

So, all you spurts and ex-spurts out there. What is that light halo around the disk ? Is it some contrast enhancement effect, some dew point phenomenon, refracted light from the ET cabin lights, what ? If you look at 0:33 the aura has tracked the disk out of the square brackets rather than remaining centered in them. I think I see some slightly darker rays and lighter rays which vary some during the rotation. Then, of course, there is the dark bulge on the bottom of the disk. Is that an exhaust ? Does it have some relationship to the aura ? Why does the lighter aura not seem to bulge down around the dark bulge ? Perhaps a credible answer to some of these questions can narrow down whether the whole thing is an artifact or a visitation or a secret technological advance(magnetohydrodynamic drive?) Why does the screen seem to video reverse at around 0:11 ? Some of these questions probably just demonstrate my ignorance about how these displays work. Please clue me in.

thewildΩtter Ø ! <-thewildotter top gun examining his artificial horizon

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

12/19/2017 12:13 PM

I am also ignorant of how these displays work.

But humbly submit: "light halo" = light passing through wet smear

"dark bulge" = no comment

or as Scrooge might say, "an undigested bit of..."

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

artsmith (3); jdretired (1); JE in Chicago (2); lyn (3); MR. Guest (2); redfred (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); Stuart21 (1); thewildotter (1); Tom_Consulting (2); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Humanoid Robot Contest 2017 from Robohub   Next in Forum: Upcoming Technologies in 2018

Advertisement