CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Anybody Get a Standing Desk for Christmas?   Next in Forum: Plumbing Help Please
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1209

NVIDIA's CES 2018 Event in Less Than 10 Minutes

01/09/2018 8:40 PM

Just Wow!!

Samsung's CES 2018 event in under 12 minutes

Intel's CES 2018 event in under 10 minutes

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 157

Re: NVIDIA's CES 2018 Event in Less Than 10 Minutes

01/10/2018 1:29 PM

That series of talks is totally, the most concentration of WOW I have seen in a long time, maybe 64 years of time.

Nvidia has allowed the presenter to walk on stage with more computing power in one board than there was computing power in the world not that many years ago. Think about it!

An entire server farm reduced to the size of one tower! 5% of the power consumption.

This makes AV not only a possibility, it makes it a sure thing, safer than I would have dreamed of. I was not an early advocate of AV as you might recall, but now I must say I am convinced.

Samsung's new offerings will really turn up the easy button on being connected, at home, at work, everywhere. This makes it possible to really be connected when connected, and to really relax, unwind, de-phase, and be in a quiet place, undisturbed when you are done, and have more time to use, rather than have time eaters.

Intel has put some really creative thinking into changing how we compute, showed off their quantum chip, and also flew 100 drones indoors, in a controlled formation, without using GPS, that is a new world record as well.

So yeah, WOW! I suppose if they keep turning up the "simple" or "easy" button, even us old gassers will find some way to make it in this new world.

Good Answers: 1209
In reply to #1

01/10/2018 2:02 PM

Yes I agree, totally amazing , software writing software, how long before everything is run by computer, maybe we are already there and just don't realize it....These personal assistants are going to become an important part of everybody's life sooner than we thought....but where's the android humanoid assistant that we have been waiting for so long....? My guess is that will be the next big thing....

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #2

01/11/2018 9:09 AM

I would not doubt any advance at this point.

Good Answers: 8

01/11/2018 10:16 PM

This is all very interesting, and all. But, it reminds me of a cosmological phenomenon. You know how they say that the universe is expanding, and that the "components" (stars, galaxies, etc) are getting farther away from each other? Well, that's what it seems like technology is doing. It's getting farther away from my real life. If I was thought of as being a "space cadet" before, I'm beginning to think that it's only gonna get worse. This stuff is getting less and less relevant to the things that I have-to/want-to deal with. I'm sure that all this stuff will make someone some very nice toys. But, I sure don't see it in my near future. The more I get ahead, the more I have to catch up. I don't see a sustainable relationship between me and "progress". I've been seeing this divergence of "trajectories" for quite a while now. And it seems to be irreconcilable. Pretty soon, our "solar systems/galaxies" will be so far apart, we won't be relevant to each other anymore. I guess that's how the colonies and England felt at the time of our independence from them. People say, that if you don't know history, you're doomed to repeat it. Maybe we're doomed to repeat history, regardless of being aware of it. And, in this regard, I think it's pointless to continue to debate the science/religion conflict. The bottom line, is that it's beyond ANYONE's control. And if you can't call that an all-powerful force/entity, then words don't matter either.

In reply to #4

01/12/2018 1:13 PM

What is the one thing you like to do or make now? Think of having an automated assistant, that you can readily afford, that helps you set up your work, helps you test it, and helps you assemble it, or whatever.

If it fishing you like, then maybe they will good boat anchors for you.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Dennis R. Levesque (1); James Stewart (3); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Anybody Get a Standing Desk for Christmas?   Next in Forum: Plumbing Help Please

Advertisement