CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: STAHL HMI   Next in Forum: Positioner DVC2000/6010 Not Positioning at Known Signal
Close
Close
Close
8 comments

Wireless 4-20mA out to Wonderware using OPC

03/13/2018 10:54 AM

Hello,

I am a relatively new Instrumentation and electrical engineer working at a manufacturing facility. Just a brief overview of our control systems, We have PLCs that use Wonderware stations as our HMI. Also, there's Provox that controls another couple of units. There is a communication link between provox and wonderware. My guess is a software called "Prodirect" does this but am not sure. I can bring any input or output from provox and make it visible on HMI just by using the right item name on wonderware.

There's an Emerson Wireless gateway I'd like to use to monitor wireless instruments. I am pretty sure its possible to send the 4-20 out to wonderware using OPC link so that I won't have to keep logging on to the IP address of the gateway to monitor values. Here's where things get confusing for me. Can any one guide me or point me towards articles for doing something like this? The gateway is connected to a network switch and accessible from any computer on the network.

Sorry if this is still vague. I have no idea how these things communicate and am kind of left to fend for myself here. I'll try my best to provide more information if needed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: emerson OPC wireless gateway
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 55

Re: Wireless 4-20mA out to Wonderware using OPC

03/13/2018 6:13 PM

Emerson's wireless gateway is wireless HART gateway. A gateway has 2 sides, the wireless side connects to the wireless field devices (transmitters). The wired side provides access to the data from the wireless devices.

The wired side access is either Modbus TCP (over ethernet) or Modbus RTU (over RS-485) or an OPC server with a Modbus driver. The host that is the Modbus master/client on the wired side is your Wonderware HMI software. You have an OPC server which might or might not have a Modbus driver. If it lacks a Modbus driver, you can purchase a Modbus driver option for it.

So you probably need to configure the Wireless HART gateway and assign whichever data points/tags you are interested in to specific Modbus registers. Then you configure the OPC server to read those Modbus register tags.

Then those tags and their values appear in Wonderware and you figure out what you do with it in Wonderware.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer

In reply to #1

03/14/2018 11:44 AM

That's a great explanation! The gateway is connected to an ethernet switch. I am able to login to the gateway from any PC on the network just by typing the IP address of the gateway in any web browser.

The first step for me is to figure out where this OPC server is and how to access it(we have multiple servers). Then I can try to figure out whether it has MODBUS protocol. Is there a typical software used to configure OPC servers or can it vary? There are too many applications installed on our servers and am not sure about their purpose.

Edit: I know we don't use KEPserver

Register to Reply

03/14/2018 12:11 PM

I managed to find the OPC server configuration. The software is called OPClink. There is a "topic" for it called "Provox" under topic definitions. I believe that's used for the communication between Provox and Wonderware.

It also allows me to add a new topic. Should I add one for the gateway or try to use Provox ?

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 55
In reply to #3

03/14/2018 4:25 PM

Why don't you open up the existing Provox folder and see what's underneath it (OPC servers are constructed in a 'tree' style) so you can see what's involved in the Wonderware/Provox connection?

Project-wise, your task is to duplicate whatever is there for Wonderware/Provox connection for the Wonderware/EmersonWireless connection.

Then you can try adding another 'topic' and try adding whatever elements are involved.

It might be worth calling the OPC server vendor to establish how you determine whether your license includes a Modbus driver and what the server setup involves.

Windows supports multiple OPC servers, so if for some reason, your existing OPC server doesn't work out, you can buy and install some other OPC server.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54

03/14/2018 2:52 PM

What is the 4-20 ma signal coming from or controlling?

In reply to #4

03/14/2018 3:00 PM

My bad. Screwed up the thread title and the opening post.

I just want to send the measurement value from wireless gateway to wonderware. That will not be a 4-20 mA output like traditional instrument.

And these wireless instruments are only being used for indication. Nothing is being controlled off of it.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 54
In reply to #5

03/14/2018 4:13 PM

Thank you. Most of the 4-20 ma I have dealt with in my career has been controlling fire or a burner of some sort. I was concerned you were trying to control something like that with wireless which can be dangerous unless you have fail safes in place.

Since you are dealing with software, is your IT dept representative assisting you? Are you recording in detailing any software installs or removals?

Be careful and good luck.

In reply to #6

03/14/2018 4:20 PM

IT department don't seem to know much about OPC communication. Historically, the Electrical Engineer has been the one who took care of process side of things. Anything related to PLCs, Wonderware or something like a wireless gateway would fall under the jurisdiction of Electrical Engineer. I simply use them to install or remove software whenever I require admin rights. Especially on the server side.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Carl_E (2); Original_Macgyver (2); syd504 (4)

Previous in Forum: STAHL HMI   Next in Forum: Positioner DVC2000/6010 Not Positioning at Known Signal

Advertisement