CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How to Find Motor H.P/KW Search in CR4, Not Responding   Next in Forum: Isolated Mode
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Active Contributor

Power Transformer

04/11/2018 9:37 AM

Dear all

In power transformer if winding which controlled by the Tap changer is damage.

can we cancel these winding and Tap changer from inside the transformer and keep

the main winding.Knowing the main winding alone will give us the voltage of center

tap.

thanks

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: power tramnsformer
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 428

Re: Power Transformer

04/11/2018 11:14 AM

Without knowing the internal construction of the transformer and how/why it failed, the only safe answer is "no". Ask the manufacturer or some local "expert" who can actually do an internal inspection.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 789
In reply to #1

04/11/2018 11:50 AM

I'd also be curious what the OP precisely means by "cancel". I can think of several benign and many explosively dangerous meanings for canceling a transformer.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 724

04/11/2018 2:26 PM

Discuss the matter over the telephone with the original equipment manufacturer, and heed the advice received during it.

Guru

Good Answers: 1187

04/11/2018 10:31 PM

We would need a detailed drawing of the wiring configuration, what exactly is the nature of the damage and how extensive, pictures would be helpful, how you plan to rewire it, it's intended use, and everything else....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_changer

In reply to #4

04/12/2018 2:01 AM

thanks for reply

dear sir

i mean can we connected the point number 8 in picture with your reply directly to

neutral terminal?

to cancel the tap changer and winding from point number 8 to neutral

terminal if we check every think ok except the winding under point number 8

thanks

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1187
In reply to #5

04/12/2018 2:35 AM

So you just want to deactivate terminal 8?...and use the other terminals?...Well then it depends on the nature of the damage....If it's just the connection that is bad, and you don't need terminal 8, there shouldn't be a problem if there is no other damage to the windings...

https://www.quora.com/Where-tappings-are-provided-on-transformer

Guru

Good Answers: 121
In reply to #6

04/12/2018 9:51 AM

I think the OP just wants to bypass (that's what he probably means by "cancel") the tap changer.

It depends on what the damage to the tap changer is, and what point he wants to connect to the neutral to bypass the changer. Depending on how the windings are connected, he may just get the minimum portion of the winding, because the "center" is in the midst of the taps. That might not be adequate for his application.

Someone qualified needs to look at the specific details of this situation and make a judgment, rather than depend on us trying to guess what is needed.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 789
In reply to #7

04/12/2018 11:58 AM

Yes, you have hit the nail on the head. Somebody qualified needs to see this transformer before any bypassing or other wiring is performed on it. That qualified individual should be able to determine if the damage to this transformer assembly is actually minor or if problems are worse than they seem to an untrained eye. They should also be able to make a plausible explanation why things failed in the first place and thus identify if this failure is the cause or the effect of a much bigger problem.

The OP did not demonstrate any understanding of these nuances. They should find a qualified individual to look at it.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

kasrop (1); PeterT (1); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (1); redfred (2); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: How to Find Motor H.P/KW Search in CR4, Not Responding   Next in Forum: Isolated Mode

Advertisement