Previous in Forum: Materials Question: Shoes for Playing Organ   Next in Forum: Is the Universe a Brain?
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 7

Home Weather Station Batteries

04/19/2018 10:02 PM

My home (Acu.Rite) weather station has been going through batteries faster than I like. It is difficult change due to location. I think it takes 4 AA. Their website is full of similar complaints.

This unit comes with a solar panel built in. It doesn't even power the unit in sunny days.

Has anyone assembled an inexpensive weatherproof solar panel and battery pack that I can put on the pole? I am thinking a couple of repurposed landscape lights.

If this has been posted, my apologies.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Home Weather station batteries

04/19/2018 10:53 PM

If it were going through batteries faster than I [you] like you may need a power supply instead of a solar panel. It does get cloudy where you live, right?

Give the "let me Google that for you" crowd, something to go on (model # etc) and you should have many answers soon.

My vote is for an AC power supply. Properly protected and fused.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 144

04/20/2018 5:32 AM

The solar panel is for a condensation fan.

What about a D-cell pack on the pole?

I get well over a year with AA

Almost 2 years.. so with a D...

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1046

04/20/2018 9:22 AM

A few questions...

What's the model number?

When you say it goes through batteries, does it take regular AA or rechargeable AA? If it's got a solar panel, I would have thought rechargeable.

Is the unit oriented so that the solar panel faces to the south and is not shaded by trees?

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 939

Re: Home Weather Station Batteries

04/20/2018 12:32 PM

It sounds to me like this unit is defective, not that the batteries and solar cells are undersized. Did this station work fine for the first five(?) years or is it still under warranty? If its out of warranty then it may simply have served its lifetime.

{You may notice when they offer a lifetime warranty they never identify whose or what's lifetime.}

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

04/20/2018 12:35 PM

You may have been buying 'Made in China' AA cells. These are usually cheap but are marked with Herculean superlatives as regard to strength - they are usually very low grade and sold in convenience shops.

The only solution is professional medical cells as used by medical supply companies.

Procell batteries.

Fire departments buy them for portable gear etc

Good Answers: 1744

04/20/2018 1:26 PM

I would have run a wall wart 6v supply up there to begin with ...

Good Answers: 245

04/20/2018 10:53 PM

I have a different station (Davis Vantage PRO 2), but it sounds quite similar. It has a solar cell powering the remote unit, which includes thermometer, relative humidity sensor, anemometer, wind direction, Tipping-Bucket rain gauge, and (as of about a year ago) a solar radiation gauge, and of course the wireless transmitter. It has been in operation nearly 6 years, and is still running on the original batteries.

The solar cell doesn't get direct sunlight 'till about 11 AM, and is shaded again before 6PM this time of year. You can verify this by looking at the solar radiation graph (KCAPLACE21). We've had some fairly extended cloudy periods this winter, but the remote has never failed.

I have a vague recollection of having cleaned the contacts for the battery cells once a year or two ago, and I do have to clean the debris from the rain gauge funnel a couple of times a year; otherwise the remote has been flawless.

We have had a few power outages, and once in a while the computer connecting the station to the internet (an original MacBook Air) has quit sending data either due to loss of WiFi or to a dialog asking to update something, when I wasn't home to respond. Otherwise it has been very reliable.

I do have a new mounting post installed, in a location where the sun will reach it a little sooner and it will be farther away from the tall cedar that is most responsible for clogging the funnel. I will soon move the station to that new post.

04/20/2018 11:49 PM

I have had several versions of the ACCURITE home weather stations over the years. My batteries last a year or two with no problem. My weather station does face south, and gets full sun when available. I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries mainly due to their cold weather performance. I also have an ACCURITE unit in my downstairs freezer, and on the supply duct for my wood/coal furnace. They all go a year or two before needing replacement. Not sure why you are having problems.

Good Answers: 36

04/21/2018 11:33 PM

Could you stack solar panels on your pole ? If the pole was high enough, you might be able to. I bought an inexpensive solar light at the 99 ct store. The panel is about 3x4", it charges a 1.5 v AAA battery. How many you can stack or need should be added into your wind load calculations.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 9 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aurizon (1); dkwarner (1); Ed Barcomb (1); JE in Chicago (1); lyn (1); redfred (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); tonyhemet (1)

Previous in Forum: Materials Question: Shoes for Playing Organ   Next in Forum: Is the Universe a Brain?

Advertisement