CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What is the Badge Capacity of a Gas Meter, and Why Does it Say /REV?   Next in Forum: Railway Wagons: Bottom-discharge vs Tippler
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 110

Eastwood Welders

05/09/2018 2:05 PM

Anyone have experience with Eastwood welders? I am looking at the Digital TIG 200 AC/DC.

I have had a MillerMatic 250 MIG for years and I love it. I only use it a few times a year but it works well and is reliable.

I would like to be able to TIG aluminum and stainless steel. This would typically be 0.060" to 0.125" thick material. This would be for home shop use. After the initial fun wears off I would probably use it for a couple of hours about every other month.

The Eastwood TIG looks like a good unit. Most of the reviews are positive and the few negative reviews are mostly shipping oriented or obvious cases of someone put the wrong accessory item in the box. The price tag is large enough to be painful but it is much less than a Miller, Lincoln or Hobart.

Does anyone have experience with the quality and reliability of Eastwood welders?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1219

Re: Eastwood Welders

05/09/2018 7:22 PM

In reply to #1

05/10/2018 6:36 AM

Thank you. Informative link.

I still hope to hear from someone that knows how well they hold up after years of service.

In reply to #2

05/10/2018 7:55 AM

I have no experience with Eastwood TIG welders, but I own their 175A MIG welder. I am very please with it. I have had it for over a year and 3 spools of wire with no problems yet.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 8

05/10/2018 8:07 AM

so if you have a millermatic 250 MIG and you love it, then why are you having this conversation? sounds like you have what you need.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

05/10/2018 1:59 PM

Three reasons come to mind:

1. You can't push aluminum wire through a MIG hose. Miller offers three spool guns (good for aluminum) for my welder. The prices for the spool guns alone are $915, $1189 and $1357. The entire Eastwood 200 AC/DC digital TIG costs $999.
  2. I don't believe a backyard welder can make a reasonable looking weld on thin aluminum sheet using MIG. You can't get heat without pushing wire. When you are pushing wire you get quickly get filler metal buildup on thin sheet. With TIG you add heat with one hand and add filler with the other.
  3. I want one.

Good Answers: 1618
In reply to #7

05/10/2018 2:11 PM

"I want one" is reason enough!

Go get it!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #8

05/10/2018 2:15 PM

That's my kind of logic.

In reply to #10

05/10/2018 2:22 PM

I've got a shotgun and a rifle for the same reason. Never fired either one but, they don't eat anything and I've got them if I need them.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #11

05/11/2018 9:53 AM

sounds like you need a pistol...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

05/11/2018 10:30 AM

I've sold some of my pistols. I'm down to three now.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 82
In reply to #7

05/10/2018 11:06 PM

I want one... That's why I still have my Miller Dynasty DX200 that I use every once in a while whether I need to or not. But I can't imagine paying the going price for it again now that I don't use it all the time. Eastwood has a pretty good rep overall, I'd go for it at that price.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #7

05/11/2018 9:50 AM

sorry i didn't realize/see that the miller is a MIG.

TIG is the way to go.

yea i have a spool on my lincoln but to do al with consistency, i found that heating the metal with a propane torch before i start welding makes all the difference.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 3

05/10/2018 8:51 AM

Since You only use the welder once in a while why spend money on a costly welder?

I purchased a TIG welder from harbour freight a few years ago and it performed flawlessly and at a reasonable cost. Of course You know TIG welding stainless or aluminum is a lot different then MIG welding. It takes practice to lay down a nice bead. no matter what brand You buy.

oilcan13

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

05/10/2018 2:11 PM

Kind of tough to come up with a good argument against this. Harbor Freight seems to have a very cut-down unit at $370 and a reasonable looking "home shop unit" at $650. The Eastwood unit is $999 for the one with digital controls and somewhere in the $600 - $700 range for the one that is not listed as "digital".

The Eastwood has more features. Based upon reviews Eastwood has US based support that actually supports. Harbor Freight often surprises me in a positive way but my opinion is that I can have more faith in the quality of Eastwood compared to a no-name import. But, it is true that the Eastwood costs more money and I won't use it very often.

This probably comes down to "I want one unless I become afraid of the investment".

Guru

Good Answers: 60

05/10/2018 11:53 AM

I purchased the Eastwood TIG 200 AC/DC welder and have used it for about a year now. The only issue I had was a gas solenoid that plugged up after about a years use due to contaminated gas from AirGas. Eastwood replaced the unit under warranty, but also offered to send a replacement valve and talk me through the replacement if I wanted. This is the main reason I went with Eastwood as they provide US support and they stand behind their product. The welder has worked very well for TIG welding steel and aluminum. The most recent model version also will do stick welding with high frequency start and no gas and does very well. The unit runs on either 120VAC or 220VAC input voltage, but is most potent on the 220VAC input.

The only improvement I would suggest is to get a flowmeter with the floating bead. It turns out I was running my gas at much higher volume rate than was really needed using the supplied pressure set gas regulator. The gas lens kit for the torch is also a very good thing to use to make TIG welding easier.

I like it.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Register to Reply 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (4); JNB (1); Jpfalt (1); lyn (3); Nexthermal (1); oilcan13 (1); setlock77 (3); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: What is the Badge Capacity of a Gas Meter, and Why Does it Say /REV?   Next in Forum: Railway Wagons: Bottom-discharge vs Tippler

Advertisement