Previous in Forum: What is this Called and Where do I Buy One?   Next in Forum: Smarter Devices Can Sometimes Cause Dumb Problems
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Commentator

Cooling Technology

08/30/2018 8:59 PM

Hi all,

Good morning.

Understand besides air-condition to reduce indoor temperature for comfort, there are many other methods/processes / technology (ie. Aircool, heat shield paint to external building wall, coating to glass panel ie 3M or similar product, water cooling system (not chill water) and etc) can perform similar task.

Appreciate your sharing or direct myself to the right place for my research on how to reduce indoor temperature of building.

Thank you all.

Noel

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: Cooling Technology

08/30/2018 9:34 PM

Sure. Search for " how to reduce indoor temperature of building."

How to Search the Internet: 9 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

How To Use Google To Search - Search Engine Land

It's so easy a child can do it.

Here's one to get you started:

15 Brilliant Ways To Keep Your Home Cool Without Air Conditioning ...

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #1

08/31/2018 8:17 AM

No wonder this site is in decline. There was a time many years ago that it was the "go to" place to find answers. In order to find this forum one has to have some understanding of search engines, so this kind of reply can only have the effect of putting people off asking valid questions. Superior attitudes do not encourage enquiring minds.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 7)
Guru

Good Answers: 1728
In reply to #3

08/31/2018 10:47 AM

I don't think this site is in decline at all....As more and more people learn to use the internet effectively, demand for somebody else answering your question in a live setting is not required...What we get here is the more difficult queries in general, and newbees and students...Anybody who spends time on the internet and chatrooms in general, is not easily offended....I think this site has increased in value, it is one of the go to places for difficult problems....and we answer them all...Searching this site for answers yields expert opinions on just about everything....there are fewer and fewer original questions....this is not a paid service, we are all volunteers, and as such want to make the most valuable use of our time, you know, generally speaking....

Good Answers: 1662
In reply to #3

08/31/2018 11:51 AM

Maybe it's in supposed decline because anonymous posters, such as yourself, offer NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE, but seem to thrive on criticizing others.

In case you didn't bother to read the entire post, I did offer a suggestion on a topic to search for (Search for " how to reduce indoor temperature of building.") and a web site to read. 15 Brilliant Ways To Keep Your Home Cool Without Air Conditioning ...

You, on the other hand, offered nothing useful, only sour grapes!

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #5

09/03/2018 10:42 PM

interesting compilation of potential cooling approaches.

May I ask which of the 15 is your favourite ? If you have ranked them in simplicity, ease of use, efficiency and potential initial and operating costs, please share.

thank you.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #3

08/31/2018 7:28 PM

This site is definitely NOT on the decline. The reason initial replies can seem a bit patronizing is because of the lack of detail in the question and the question could literally be done by entering the exact phrase into a search engine.

In this case, the OP (Original Poster) mentions some of the technologies, but does not indicate where he/she is lacking in understanding.

After the initial reply, the OP had the opportunity to go to the sites and study the content. THEN, the OP could return to the thread and ask more pertinent and direct questions.

For an example of a (IMHO) successful thread, see:

https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/122791/How-Much-Hydropneumatic-Pressure-is-Comparable-to-Hydraulic

oops - made a link to make it easier to get to. Just click on it!

https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/122791/How-Much-Hydropneumatic-Pressure-is-Comparable-to-Hydraulic

Oh, and it's inquiring. Just helping you with your spelling!

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #6

09/01/2018 6:08 AM

Good answer, as are most of the above. I stand corrected. (OP)

However, on the correction to the English it should not be assumed that all posters are American.

"In American English there isn't an argument on this one - it's always an inquiring mind but in British English the jury is still out and it seems that either spelling goes.

Why the confusion? Well, ENquire is the Old French and Middle English form and INquire is the Latinized form - it seems both had pretty current usage since written English became established".

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 194
In reply to #7

09/01/2018 6:17 PM

I did NOT assume! Therefore the correction - English is not the easiest language to learn - so many exceptions to rules, and it is derived from so many different languages.

Your comments are well taken .

Good Answers: 1728

08/30/2018 11:04 PM

Probably the number one thing is insulation....attics, walls....Then next I would say windows, double or triple glazed windows and insulated doors, weather stripping is also very important, leaky windows and doors defeats the purpose....Of course the particular type of house and location are important to making these decisions, but basically reducing the heat load is fundamental to all houses and there are many different ways this is accomplished...and whether you are retrofitting or building a new house makes a big difference...As an HVAC contractor one of my favorite tools was an infrared thermometer, I would walk in the house and shoot the room in a circle from floor to wall to ceiling to opposite wall to floor, if the reading was constant I knew the house was well insulated, if the ceiling was 10° warmer, I knew there was a problem...There also is the proper sizing of the air conditioner for humidity control, humidity should be maintained as close to 50% as you can get, cooling the room too quickly can give a room a clammy feeling and is not comfortable, if the humidity is too low, then it tends to dry you out and promotes static discharges every time you walk across the room, it's not just about cooling, it's mostly about comfort and health....In some low humidity environments you use evaporative cooling to cool and humidify the air, and in other high humidity environments cooling and dehumidifying is preferred...Most air handlers now have variable speed blowers for humidity control....The size of the building also comes into play as the larger the heat load the choice of cooling changes for more efficient operation...also the standards of air quality become more critical, especially when there are chemicals being used that must be removed from the air...So the recommendations for climate control are specific to the building type. size, use and location....

In reply to #2

09/03/2018 4:46 AM

hi cool Eagle,

Very well, thank you for sharing.

Understand Stanford is researching in reflecting radiation approach to cool building. Just wonder whether it is feasible.

Is there any commercial product which is able to reduce indoor room temperature without AC or Chiller method. Hope to apply this in healthcare facility to make life more comfortable to residents, particularly elderly in nursing home.

If you know who are keen to explore on cooling technology, please advise.

TQ. Noel

TQ

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); lyn (2); Mikerho (2); noelngke (2); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: What is this Called and Where do I Buy One?   Next in Forum: Smarter Devices Can Sometimes Cause Dumb Problems

Advertisement