Previous in Forum: Enthalpy of Air of Cooling Tower   Next in Forum: Coefficient of Performance
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

Transmission Oil Pump

09/01/2018 12:58 PM

Good Evening all,

I am looking for some project advice, I will be starting my Master Degree in Engineering next week and have chosen a project idea.

The project idea consists of designing an oil pump for a motorsport transmission but, with no information out there and manufactures not wanting to give away any trade secrets I am slightly stuck on how to pursue this idea

Starting with a 3D cad model and running the oil pump in MAT LAB, would be my first call although, thermodynamics will play a large roll I am wondering if there are specific oil pump design procedures?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1666

Re: Transmission Oil Pump

09/01/2018 1:14 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1750

09/01/2018 2:17 PM

Interesting....I would say the first thing is to lay out the basics, mechanical or electric, I would make a list of characteristics that are related and fill in the blanks....

List of specifications....

mechanical/electric

GPM... probably 1-2 GPM

operating temperature range....controls/sensors

cooling coil design/location/cfm/btu's

displacement/stroke/rpm/variable

adapter brackets and mounting locations/materials specification/weight/design life

Filters/maintenance schedule/materials and characteristics

heat load characteristics and performance curve/ temperature/humidity/atmospheric pressure

https://www.fluidpowerworld.com/understanding-heat-load-oil-coolers/

http://www.thermaltransfer.com/include/uploads/1/Literature/Product_Documents/References/Related%20and%20Conversion%20Formulas.pdf

So you have to determine how much heat is being produced at max load, and the coil size and fluid flow and air flow needed to remove the heat at max operating temperature...also building something that will do the job, but doesn't fit, is always a struggle....I would start with several of the most popular brands, and research to find the failure causes, the weak spots, then try to improve the design....If the're bullet proof, then reducing cost/weight is always an approach you can take....

In reply to #2

09/01/2018 2:21 PM

Thankyou very much for the detailed response, that has given me something go by!

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: Houston the Emerald City that would be Oz, TX serving art collectors and patrons worldwide
Good Answers: 8

09/02/2018 10:57 AM

Check out motorsport.com. They have a writer there who is a former Ferrari F1 engineer who posts on all things F1 car technical. His name is Giorgio Piola. Reach out to him; from his posting style he may be the source your looking for.

Good Answers: 1750

09/02/2018 12:12 PM

https://www.mathworks.com/help/physmod/hydro/examples.html

"Development of an electric oil pump control algorithm for an automatic-transmission-based hybrid electric vehicle considering the gear shift characteristics"

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.851.1704&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Louis Fiddes (1); lyn (1); SolarEagle (2); Stephen Archer (1)

Previous in Forum: Enthalpy of Air of Cooling Tower   Next in Forum: Coefficient of Performance

Advertisement