Previous in Forum: Flow in Concentric Pipes   Next in Forum: Degrees of Freedom in a Chemical Process
Close
Close
Close
4 comments

Reactive Flash

10/09/2018 10:25 AM

Hi all,

I have a few questions about a type of flash column that I never encountered in textbooks: the reactive flash. Let's suppose I have a equilibrium-limited reaction of the type A + B ↔ C + D

Let's imagine we know the equilibrium constant K and the entry molar fractions zA and zB as well as the feed flow rate F. Outlet will be composed of A, B, C and D in both liquid (L, xi molar fraction of each component) and vapour stream (V, yi molar fraction of each component).

We can suppose - I guess - that the reaction takes places in the liquid phase.

To be honest, I don't really know how I could write the mass balance equation. I would write F = V + L, but I guess I missed a reaction term. How could I write this?

Same with the other equation, F zi = Lxi + Vyi, because otherwise the only solution would be (zi = 0, xi = 0, yi = 0) for all i = A, B, C, D, which is trivial but not the one I accept obviously.

Thanks for your help!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: drum flash reactive reactive flash
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1744

Re: Reactive Flash

10/09/2018 12:31 PM

In reply to #1

10/09/2018 3:37 PM

Thanks for the link. I actually encountered this paper while looking on the web but I didn't go too much into it since it seemed quite complex. Do you think it's the only way of solving the problem?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1744
In reply to #2

10/09/2018 4:34 PM

Maybe somebody will come along and dumb-it-down for you....not my area of expertise...but I think if you hope to actually understand this process, it might take a bit of reading and contemplation...perhaps even some field work and experimentation...

In reply to #3

10/10/2018 7:15 AM

Thanks. Yes, if any of you knows how to do it would really help me... In the paper they say at the end that it is an alternative method so I suppose there is another one. I would like to try to understand it and implement it (using Matlab or other) using the basic material balance equations but including the reactive term.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Flow in Concentric Pipes   Next in Forum: Degrees of Freedom in a Chemical Process

Advertisement