Previous in Forum: Will Off-center Press Press More on One Side?   Next in Forum: Onan RS1200
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Active Contributor

How Can I Know When RC Battery is Charged?

12/07/2018 2:02 AM

I am new to electric RC and I have a couple of questions. I have a Hitec Optic 6 and I use it to charge the Tx. Using the charger that comes with the Tx, I can leave it charging overnight without any problem because the Tx uses a NiCD battery. However, I also use this to charge my Rx battery, which is a 300mAh 4.8v NiMH. The Optic 6 charger charges at 50mAh per hour so I figure I can leave the Rx battery charging for around 6 hours. But here is my problem. When I am done flying for the day, I cannot tell how much voltage is left in the Rx battery because I never run it dead, so I never know how long to charge it. I appologize if these are stupid questions.
Is there any trick to tell when the Rx battery is fully charged? Should I just plug it in and check it every hour until it gets warm?
By not fully discharging a NiHM before recharging, will that make the battery wear out faster?
I know with LiPo, you should never let it drop below a certain voltage, as it can permanently damage the battery. Is this an issue with NiCD and NiMH as well?
Thanks guys!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: rc battery
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 27

Re: how to know when rc battery is charge?

12/07/2018 3:33 AM

It pretty much depends upon the quality of the battery and charger. NiCd can be damaged by "trickle chargers". If the chargers are what the battery manufacturers recommend, contact the battery manufacturer. Hi end battery charges for communication radios, use a change of temperature to switch from rapid to standby. As for the Rx, you can always test it on the ground. Purchase a suitable ammeter, probably no more than 2 amps. Measure the current in standby( to measure current you need to cut one of the wires and insert the meter in series) then operate the servos and watch the current. Then using how many times you do this, you can determine how much current has been used.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

12/07/2018 4:48 AM

Like Inverted stated, it relies upon the bettery limit. For instance a 3000 mAh battery charged at 3 amps (1C) will take 60 minutes. At 6 amps(2C), it will take 1/2 hour. On the off chance that the divider charger works at say 1 amp, it will take 3 hours.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #2

12/26/2018 2:43 AM

It does take a lot of time to recharge.If only it could be recharged in a few minutes.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1049

12/07/2018 8:48 AM

Battery University can probably answer all of your questions.

https://batteryuniversity.com/

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1751

Re: How Can I Know When RC Battery is Charged?

12/07/2018 12:18 PM

Good Answers: 1666

12/07/2018 2:12 PM

If I were you, I'd simply follow the owner's manual instructions and use the charger they recommend. Using a different charger MAY damage the battery and void the warranty.,

Don't over think the issue.

From my experience, NiCad batteries should NOT be overcharged. They should be completely discharged before re-charging, then charged for the proscribed time. They have a memory and will degrade if not fully cycled each time.

NiMH batteries can be "topped off" without damage.

My TRAXXAS battery charger tells me when the battery is 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and fully charged.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 24

12/09/2018 5:09 PM

NiMH batteries which are regularly partially charged can develop a memory effect which effectively reduces their capacity.

To avoid this fully discharge them before charging ..... you can buy smart NiMH chargers which will do this for you as part of the automatic charging cycle.

This memory effect will not happen in one or two charge cycles, but over several hundred, so you can enjoy using your RC until you can source a smart charger without fear.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #6

12/10/2018 3:18 AM

Is that ok?

Charge my RC car with another nickel metal hydride charger.

The website https://www.gensace.de/christmas that my friend recommends is doing Christmas activity, I want to buy one to try.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

12/10/2018 2:55 AM

Some friends say many remote-control devices use lithium-ion polymer batteries.They provide many benefits, including small size, large capacity, and a large runtime.And recommended the website rc battery christmas sales

Is that ok?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Active Contributor

12/10/2018 3:10 AM

A friend recommended to buy a nickel metal hydride charger in a professional battery manufacturer like this website https://www.gensace.de/

Is that ok?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 1666

12/10/2018 6:31 PM

This thread has developed into an example of the blind leading the blind.

Burton, Do your own research, draw your own conclusions and don't listen to "your friends."

You can Google as well as the rest of us.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 11 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Burton (4); JWthetech (1); lyn (2); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); vaibhavkapoor (1); WAWAUS (1)

Previous in Forum: Will Off-center Press Press More on One Side?   Next in Forum: Onan RS1200

Advertisement