Close
Close
Close
59 comments
Associate

Drive Train for Turning a 40,000 lb Building

02/06/2019 10:05 AM

Hi everyone

I built a 13' by 30' Aquaponics greenhouse with a 6kw pv array above. It sits on a central 4" id tapered roller bearing and has 4 6"dia. 5,00 lb rated casters for tilt moment that roll on a 19' dia. Concrete Slab. I currently have a winch motor that I replaced the spool with a sprocket off a starter to drive a flywheel driving a car wheel that turns the building to track the sun. Just wondering if anyone in this great brain trust have any better suggestions to get some better tourqe for the snowy days?

thanks,Kurt

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: drive train
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1750

Re: Drive Train for Turning a 40,000 lb Building

02/06/2019 12:34 PM

Why would you turn the building and not just the pv panels? Reminds me of the "how many people does it take to change a light bulb" joke, in any case, how can you have a greenhouse with the roof blocked with pv panels? What are the pv panels for?

In reply to #1

02/06/2019 2:59 PM

Okay I live in Vermont, 32f below wind chill last week your obviously visualizig a Florida greenhouse, they don't work in the north. Unless all you want to grow is kale in early and late winter or spend a huge amount of money heating it. So far it has not gotten below 60f inside

my goals were.

to generate all the power for my home and to run and HEAT a greenhouse that could produce all the warm weather crops and fish my family needs all winter long.

first yr generated 12,000 kWh. With A. 5.7 kw AC rated array. Which has satisfied the goals

reasoning behind my design. It rotates so I only need glass on 1 side , minimizing heat loss in cold weather and minimizing overheating in summer .

the Array above never shades the windows and also tracks the sun on the horizontal axis.

I planted in November, Currently tomatoes are producing along with many other things.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

02/06/2019 4:14 PM

OK I get it now, nice project....Please keep us up to date on all the details...You've done an admiral job, impressive...

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

02/06/2019 1:42 PM

I am not sure how this setup actually works in practice. If the solar panels are on top of the greenhouse (and the greenhouse moves) won't the solar panels block a lot of the sun getting into the greenhouse?

What was the reason to make the greenhouse move, it would have been better to have a fixed solar array on a nearby building roof or movable array on a pole somewhere else.

A lot of effort (and engineering) has been put into making the building rotate, why exactly?

In reply to #2

02/06/2019 2:09 PM

Please read my response to solar eagle .

It warks great with the exception of traction when snow blows in under the casters.

I need to put a skirt around to keep it out but that is difficult, blowing snow is like sand at the beach.

if you can't find the post check this

Time laps of greenhouse turning https://youtu.be/3GeKsfj4j_E
Update of the inner mechanics, fish and plants part 1

Part 2 https://youtu.be/Uvlc3dsAfLw

Sent from my iPad

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

02/06/2019 2:35 PM

You could use a winch with two reels, one that wound and one that unwound in a 24 hr reversing cycle so that it would cycle back and forth, pulling the wheel instead of using it for a drive mechanism...If the building is perfectly balanced it should take very little effort to turn...

In reply to #6

02/06/2019 3:03 PM

In reply to #6

02/06/2019 3:28 PM

Your right about it turning easy I was carful to design it to ballance well when the 1700 gallons of water were in place. I can easily push it by hand when there is no snow or ice on the slab. Is your drawing depicting the anchor point to be under the center of the building at the bearing ?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

02/06/2019 4:11 PM

No the anchor point only needs to be on the center axis, however you may need some additional pulleys to correct the alignment of the wire to the winch spools, which need a near 90° feed angle...and the other pulleys need to be on the arc of the wire axle attachment....what is the degree of arc? Looks to be about 140°

In reply to #12

02/06/2019 6:21 PM

OK I see now it's closer to 240 degrees....

This is not quite to scale and the tee connections on the shaft are exaggerated, but hopefully this shows how in each position the wire works...You've got twin pulleys feeding the winch spools to feed the wire from every angle required....and an additional pulley to guide the wire around the bearing...might still need some tweaking...

In reply to #14

02/06/2019 7:49 PM

Not quite following yet, but I'll study it some more 1 note as I said to sir Robin there is only 8" between the framework and the slab so it would be difficult to install and maintain pulleys under the structure.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

02/06/2019 8:59 PM

Yes hopefully this scheme could be expanded out to the perimeter, with just some wire running underneath....as the building turns it exposes the ground on the front and back, so the circle need not be more than 12 or 13 feet...

In reply to #18

02/06/2019 9:20 PM

I've color coded wire position paths at different locations for clarity...

In reply to #14

02/07/2019 11:36 AM

I've simplified the design a bit here....

In reply to #31

02/07/2019 12:54 PM

Got it, I can see how that will turn it plenty far enough.

I'm assuming the winch and pulleys are mounted on the slab inside the radius of the 4 casters that are mounted on the corners of a 13' square so they don't run over the wires. This wil give me access to all the pulleys, anchor point and the winch without getting under it.

thanks for clarifying, I will make model and test my understanding and assess if any slack adjusters are needed and keep you posted.

I will just have to increase the clearance of the steps to clear the winch and pulleys.

best, K

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

02/07/2019 1:22 PM

Great, please keep us up to date....

In reply to #12

02/06/2019 7:24 PM

Thanks, for your kind words about my project my background is 35 yrs as a self employed residential contractor , no formal education in any kind of engeneering. This has beed a fun project. Thank for the food for thought.

the building rotates about it's center max arc occurres on the summer solstice and turns 220 degrees ish, I haven't actually measured it. 180 would certainly be adequate.

I had toyed with th idea of a winch driven cable but didn't think of the pulleys, could not think of a way to make it work. Thanks I'll give it some more though and get back.

best, Kurt

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

02/07/2019 3:02 PM

It would be nice if you could but a price on this, and offer it to any neighbors that might be interested...Each time you build one you could refine the design a little more, possibly leading to a kit and development of a community...that would be cool...

In reply to #37

02/07/2019 4:02 PM

That would be cool and I wouldn't rule it out but I Am pretty much retired from doing jobs for other people.

A lot of the details of the project was designed around the stack of I beams I had.

If I did another one I think it would have a round garden with fish tanks in the center inside a round foundation and have just the walls move around it . Basically a U shaped building with glass on the flat face. Not totally fleshed out by any means.

k

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 253
In reply to #4

02/07/2019 6:38 AM

Put a flexible skirt around the rotating base,similar to the ones on a hover craft.

Scrap nylon carpet from a local supplier might suffice.

Glue a 6mill poly plastic liner on the inside to reduce air loss.

Cut tabs on the bottom to allow flexibility.

Use a blower on a timer to provide positive pressure under the building.

This should keep snow out.

Very little volume will be required if you are not too loose with the skirting or too large with the tabs.

Alternatively,put a blower port in front of the casters as the building rotates to keep the snow blown away from the track.

A central blower, like a surplus evaporator fan from a heat pump or A/C could provide air for all ports.

It may also be feasible to increase tire air pressure or width to get more traction.

Good luck!

Guru

In reply to #22

02/07/2019 7:24 AM

I would cut access holes near each castor to allow for servicing when required.

Doctor Blades (aka Scraper blades) might be required to keep compacted snow from adhering to the castors and creating a "bump".

Putty knives with a slight spring preload pressure would probably suffice since the velocity is very low.

In reply to #23

02/07/2019 7:46 AM

Both good ideas.

I think v shaped plow/sweepers to get the snow out of the path also.

K

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #22

02/07/2019 7:38 AM

Thanks, I like the skirt materials choices

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 430

02/06/2019 1:58 PM

Increase the radius.

Chain drives are very flexible in this regard. Fix the ends of the chain to the moving structure, held in place by a circular guide that has a deep enough groove to hold the chain in place and keep constant tension on the drive sprocket. The motor and drive sprocket are fixed to the ground.

Good luck with your quest.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #3

02/06/2019 2:24 PM

Thanks Brave Sr Robin.

I did consider something similar when I was designing this project but had concerns about maintenance as I wanted to keep it as low as possible to reduce wind loads.

my biggest problem is that even small amounts of snow or ice stop the 6" casters

and my drive tire slips. Only an issue a few days a year when the wind is wrong.

If I had gone with larger wheels or the chain drive it probably wouldn't have been a problem.

thanks again, Kurt

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

02/06/2019 2:43 PM

Actually what I meant to convey is to drive the building and not the wheels. So my sketch would be a top view looking down (or up). The 'hoop' that is attached to the underside of the floor could even be made from plywood as the chain need only be secured at the ends. (Unless of course you want the greenhouse to do 360's ) The only constraint of course is the hoop needs to be concentric to the point of rotation.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

In reply to #7

02/06/2019 3:12 PM

Yes ,

I understood your meaning.

It is just that it is only 8 inches off the ground so, little working space to mount anything under it at this point. I'm not fat but not skinny enough either, ha ha.

It turns about 220 degrees at the summer solstice. so that part is not a problem.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

02/06/2019 6:43 PM

Got it. I assumed you had more vertical space under the structure. Hmmmmm .. . .

Register to Reply
Associate

In reply to #15

02/07/2019 6:21 AM

Exactly!

I have had many Hmmmmmm moments getting this up and running. It has definitely kept my creative process running.

This is the only thing that I have sought out help on.

so glad to have found a group of fellow creative thinkers!

that applies to all responders .

I am sure we will find a solution

K

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 59

02/07/2019 12:24 AM

Hi Kurt,

Could I suggest using a chain bolted to the frame where the tyre runs and replace the wheel and tyre with a sprocket.

Chain and sprocket could be obtained from an agricultural machinery wrecker, at a reasonable outlay or even see a farmer with old machines laying around derelict and you may be surprised at how cheap the parts can be obtained.

The end of the chain only needs to be secured with eye bolts through suitable brackets for tensioning purposes as you don't require full 360 deg rotation so the chain does not need to run around the full periphery of the frame. The chain can be welded to angle brackets to maintain its position on the track.

If you need an encoder then the motor out of a direct drive washing machine will provide many coils and you only require one excitation coil inside the motor stator to energise one coil at a time which can be used for positioning. Of course there are many off the shelf encoders which you could use depending on how deep your pockets are.

I have no experience with snow for even though the temp reaches -5c in winter the air is dry and only frost forms which evaporates in the 25c days.

Cheers Stef

In reply to #20

02/07/2019 7:25 AM

Hi Stef,

just guessing from your weather and sign off you may be from a land down under?

love your part sourcing suggestions. Most of the materials in this project are repurposed, suits my budget and sensibilities.t

The gray 4" x 12" X 12' beam X is now in the slab along with a 12" on center grid of #4 rebar top and bottom in the smaller holes. Bearing cup on top. The green is the beginning of the floor frame.

Iron work finished.

Current drive , volvo strut bottom/bearing/hub/wheel- 1-3/4" rod shaft- VW flywheel, starter sproket driven by winch motor.

after this pic was taken it was fliped over so the motor is on the out side and the wheel on the inside.

the steps are hung on the side of the steel frame just above the slab tracking in the path of the drive wheel.

are you thinking the chain would be like a track on the slab similar to a cog railroad for steep mountains?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

02/07/2019 8:42 AM

It looks like the casters are running on a track, if I understand this correctly, these casters are getting stuck on the track due to ice and snow buildup....If that is the case you can just heat the track with some cable, the kind used to keep water pipes from freezing....includes thermostat...40' for $40...280 watts

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-AHB-180-Weather-Heating/dp/B000BQOUNQ?th=1

In reply to #28

02/07/2019 10:27 AM

No track, the casters discolored the epoxy coating , the slab has a slight pitch to the outside. The heating tape makes me wonder if just spraying somthing on the slab to keep the snow and ice from bonding might help. The drive tire traces a different path so it would not be effected.

thanks for the color coding of the wire routes. So I understand the sketch is not to scale but I'm not seeing how it can have much mechanical advantage, Im probably just not visualizing it correctly give me a day it will sink in.

is each colored wire depicting a different position as the building turns?

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 59
In reply to #24

02/07/2019 5:57 PM

Hi Kurt,

Yes I am from the land downunder where our summer now is between 98F and 104F by mid afternoon.

My suggestion was to emulate the rotary drive of the excavator in your pics. with the chain attached to the slab or frame by brackets.

Would hot air from a number of gas burners, used to heat air for heatshrink tubing, blown down onto the casters be able to deice the casters?

I like the idea of using a skirt to exclude the ingress of snow but as you say the skirt may stick to the slab. I have seen poly pipes covered in frost and stuck together.

My $.022 GST added.

Regards Stef

02/07/2019 7:51 AM

I was thinking you were using a car tire as the drive wheel..not sure about that after seeing your pics.

An inflatable tire might provide better traction,and quieter smoother movement.

I don't know your space limitations,but perhaps a golf cart tire or ATV tire?

Do you have a means of greasing the central bearing?An access plate perhaps?

In a cold,wet environment it will surely need greasing eventually with a lithium based grease that resists moisture.

This will extend the bearing life and keep load friction to a minimum

In reply to #27

02/07/2019 10:06 AM

Your original thinking was correct the wheel and tire are off to see the drive.

you can see it to the Right of the steps in the time lapse video in a earlier post. It is a 15" rim all season 205 with excellent tread 40 psi .

I also liked your hovercraft reference regarding a skirt with positive presure, reminds me of my years as a fire fighter using PP. fans for another purpose, to ventilate.

My only concern about the skirt is it getting frozen in. I'm at a lat. of 43 so you probably understand.

if i used black poly ethylene on the outside it might no stick

as to lubricant the central 96,000 lb rated tapered roller bearing is in a oil bath that I put a drain/refill tube out to the steps for easy maintenance. The casters roller bearings have grease fittings, also easy to access

I think my easiest solution is going to be keeping the snow out, as other than that what I have works flawlessly without snow and ice. Thanks for your suggestions.

I will post pics when I get it done,probably in warmer weather.

best K

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #29

02/07/2019 4:40 PM

Maybe you could cycle the drive periodically to prevent freezing solid to the concrete.

Since it will rotate a full 360 degrees,you could do it at night and not lose any sunlight.

I don't know the cost/benefit ratio of the power required to rotate the building.

I presume it demands very little power due to the obvious high gear reduction and the size of the motor turning it.

Another option is bio-friendly antifreeze like is used in RV's, applied to the track,or saturate the skirt.

Or perhaps do a walk around with a sprayer with the antifreeze where needed.

In reply to #41

02/08/2019 7:33 AM

It takes very little to turn when unobstructed .

I got a slipping ring for the power connection, so it could continuously turn in one direction but then I increased the collector size beond its capacity. Rather than buy another I went with soog wire from the floor to the ceiling and set limit switches to prevent twisting it to much.

thanks for the RV Antifreeze idea Although I haven't had the wheels get frozen in place, it should keep the the snow and ice from sticking to the slab and wheels. Hopefully letting it slide in front of instead of blocking.

I will try it to get me by until I can get the skirt up.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145

02/07/2019 12:18 PM

Awesome build.

Another advantage of the skirting option, you'll reduce heat loss through the bottom of the structure and prolong the lifespan of the metal down there. Heating is probably the only practical de-icing method, so skirt is also the most energy conserving approach.

In reply to #32

02/07/2019 1:14 PM

Thanks neighbor to the North.

both good points the floor only has 1-1/2" continuous layer of foam above a steel mouse barrier, so it could use help, the rest of the building is a uninterrupted layer of 2-1/2" polyiso w foamed and taped seams and If you saw the 2 nd update video a 2-1/2" foam door that covers the windows at night in the winter. I got all the 2-1/2 " foam for $20 /4x8 , some used some factory seconds.

The clip below is before water , shows inside tanks better

https://youtu.be/U15Nu2hAdW0

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145
In reply to #34

02/07/2019 1:26 PM

Yes I did watch both the videos. Amazing place.

We are far enough north (and famous for heavy cloud cover) that solar input in the dead of winter is not enough for a garden light to power itself. So the sun tracking would probably not be worth the energy expended here, but what a great design where it works!

Fish/fert/vegs system is very cool as well as the power production, and your winter garden looks great.

In reply to #36

02/07/2019 3:38 PM

Thanks, We are enjoying it , I live just south of Burlington, rated one of the cloudiest cities in the states. On the dark cold days I just leave the window insulation on and run the led lights it is only 1200 watts for the whole greenhouse it uses less power that way.

I can see in a cloudier place, especially if you had to hire someone to do it that it would not make sence.

I had a lot of the material kicking around and di all the design and building myself.

so I have less than $20,000 us in it and it generated $ 2,000 in just power credits in the first yr . I can't imagine how much it would produce in Arizona ��

The link above is a different one .

Stay warm, K

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #38

02/07/2019 4:04 PM

In reply to #40

02/07/2019 5:48 PM

This was uploaded from Kurt Fischer's YouTube channel where there are several videos about his projects. Thank you Solar Eagle for uploading it, much easier tnan cut and past.

K

Register to Reply
Guru

02/07/2019 7:06 PM

In addition to my previous reply:

A drip feeder,or capillary action from an antifreeze supply container would provide a continuous supply to the shroud,or put it on a timer for use only when needed.

I don't anticipate it requiring very much antifreeze,it should stay put till the spring thaw.

Here is a link to one provider of the safer antifreeze,good to -50F,but there are many more on google:https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/

Also,beet juice is being used in some states for road deicing.

Here is a link for the beet juice:https://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/beet-juice-as-a-deicer/

02/08/2019 1:04 AM

If you want a non stick surface on the skirting,try UHMW.

It is super-durable,and almost as slick as Teflon.This material will out-wear most other materials,including stainless steel.It is used on conveyors and many other high wear applications where a slick durable surface is required.

It will last a lifetime in your application if installed properly.

It is available in .010" pressure sensitive tape,but I would recommend adding a few pop rivets,as I have seen the adhesive release in low temperature.

Fold the tape over the skirt flaps and rivet at the top.

Here is a link:https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23411

In reply to #45

02/08/2019 7:52 AM

Thanks for the link,

i had looked at hdpe on their site when I was looking for plastic to build the radial flow separators, ended up getting some 15 and 30 gal hdpe gugs from a local farm for free and fabricating them from them.

learing how to weld plastic in the process.

Any day I learn something new is a good day!

thanks for your insight, K

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #47

02/08/2019 10:36 AM

Great! I never thought of that.

That little tidbit may save me some money in the future on some projects..Thanks!

After reading your feedback,I have discovered many items that are HDPE,including some plastic freezer bags.I don't know if all HDPE are of the same grade though,but milk jugs are flexible enough to be used in many places.

However,HDPE is not quite as slick or tough as UHMW,but probably good enough for Gov'mnt work.

The discarded Postal Mail Trays are UHMW (I think) ,constructed like cardboard and are very substantial and light weight.I have some projects in mind for them.

Thanks Again!

Best of luck on your projects!!

In reply to #48

02/08/2019 11:36 AM

Cool, Nice people from around the world can share ideas without interference.

your right about PE is the most used plastic in the world.

I think the ultra high modulus PE is what PE fishing line is, I used some of the 300lb strength to hang the light frames so I can raise as the plants grow.

the Farmers around here get milk line and other cleaning products in 15 ,30 and 60 gallon HDPE containers , not quite as hard as the UMHW but all the other qualities are the same and fairly easy to weld with a 50 dollar hot air welder I picked up on eBay.

I noticed the coordinates , are you in Croatia ?

k

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

02/09/2019 9:07 AM

Zoom in to street view with Google Earth,and you will get close.

Not my true location for security reasons.

I have used a propane heated manual tinsmith soldering iron for plastic welding..not as convenient,but the 1 pound copper heat head holds a lot of heat and will stay at working temperature for a long time.

I am old school where we were taught to "Use it up,fix it up,make it work,make it do." Very little is wasted.

Improvise.Adapt or die.

In reply to #50

02/09/2019 9:25 AM

I had just looked up the lat & lon on map out of curiosity, didn't mean to be intrusive. I understand about security, crazy world, I don't publicize my exact location either.

good hack with the soldering iron . The iron I have is small, for electronic work.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

02/26/2019 10:54 AM

It depends upon the turning resistance and the speed of rotation of the final device. The product of those two gives the shaft power required, and the motor is either going to be bigger than that or going to drop out the overload device(s) protecting it.

• For guidance, the last time it was seen, the motor that turns the rotating restaurant complex at the top of London's British Telecom Tower is of the order of 1/4hp, which is suitable to turn the entire thing round 360deg in about 1 hour.

In reply to #52

02/26/2019 5:53 PM

It's amazing how little hp is needed to move an enormous amount of wt with enough gearing! Probably similar power on the space needle in Seattle.

I will be fine tuning the water levels to keep it better in balance and changing the 6" cast iron wheels that control tilt to 24" od. Wheels to better deal with any obstacles on the slab. Between that and a skirt I think it will be fine.

cheers, K

Register to Reply
Guru

02/26/2019 5:08 PM

You have a very well constructed and designed project.

Congratulations on a job well done!

I have 2 suggestions that may be helpful.

Add an emergency overflow between the tubs in case one of the return filters becomes clogged and water rises above a safe level,but not overflowing.

The bottom of the suggested Emergency overflow would be about 1/2 the diameter above the normal overflow.

All tubs would have to be completed overfilled before you got a real overflow condition.

It would simply run into the next tub and exit to main return there.

I know this will probably never occur,but you might want to go on vacation on leave it in auto-pilot mode.

In your pond,if the bypass was directed to circulate the water along the inner perimeter in a circular direction in the bottom,the lighter debris would be collected on the outer edge where a small diverter would direct the debris to into a drain that could be installed to bleed out the trash.A small portion of the bypass aimed at center to encourage the heavier particles toward the edge of the pond.Alternatively filter media could be installed along the inside perimeter to catch the trash as it circulated.

Experimentation would determine the volume of bypass required in each direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I grew some strawberries in a barrel with holes in the side and a centered water tube,and slowly rotated the barrel continuously during the day.

The plants all thought they had full sunlight,and did not get spindly or pale and all grew and yielded fruit as if they were all in full sun.

Don't know if you can use any of this info or not,but it's free.

Good luck.

In reply to #53

02/26/2019 6:24 PM

Thanks, it is fun to build things out of the salvaged materials I have around. You obviously understand how these systems and Murfey's law (anything that can go wrong will go wrong ) work, Redundancy and safety features are always prudent. I will upload a video of mine and post a link this week.

the strawberry barrel sounds neat. What kind of strawberries? I just started everbearing red and yellows from seed for my system.

K

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #55

02/27/2019 5:43 AM

I can see that some of your design features are similar to waste treatment/water filter plants,and by the scrap you have accumulated,I presume that is/was your field of endeavor.

You seem to have lots of common sense,which is becoming a rare quality nowadays.

The strawberry plants were salvaged from my grandmother's farm before it was turned into a housing development,over 40 years ago.

Those berries were small and very sweet and bursting with flavor.

Lots of runners,lot of fruit.

I have searched in vain for a replacement but have not found one yet.

These were I guess what they would call an heirloom variety.

They were open pollinated and light tolerant.

Too bad most commercial varieties are large,hollow and tasteless by comparison.

In reply to #56

02/27/2019 6:54 AM

I was a residential builder for 30 years and occasionally did commercial and would rescue materials that I thought I would use from the junk heap. Have always created things from scrap , not having money, necessity is the mother of reuse .

your strawberries sound like what's called ever bearing from your description.

I will let you know how the two varieties I just started turn out. I t seams most of the breeders for market berries are obsessed with size.

K

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #57

02/27/2019 9:02 AM

As usual,it is the business golden rule:He with the gold rules.

They sell by volume not weight.So the bigger the berry,and the more hollow space inside the more profit for the same product.

There is no longer a marketable demand for flavor,most new generations do not know what a real strawberry tastes like. They can't miss what they never had.

Most are mesmerized by size and color,like tomatoes.

The organization that issues a "Product of Florida"(or similar label) would not allow the label to be put on a Florida grown tomato because it was "ugly".

The taste was outstanding,and people liked it and it sold well locally.

The Golden was rule applied,and after much lengthy legal debate,it was finally allowed.

Go figure!

Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #58

02/27/2019 5:34 PM

I live in FL and thought it was absurd when they didn't allow Ugly Ripe Tomatoes to be labeled 'product of Florida' or however it was worded. Those were some of the best tasting tomatoes.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

artsmith (2); Brave Sir Robin (3); HiTekRedNek (11); jack of all trades (1); JBTardis (1); Kurt F (25); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (13); Stef (2)

Previous in Forum: Flow Control   Next in Forum: Help With Project

Advertisement