Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Main Differences Among Single/Double/Dead Front Electrical Panels

04/28/2019 3:47 PM

Dear Experts,

I would like to know the main differences among Single/ Double/ Dead front electrical Panels.

How much price variation will be there for same configuration of panels for these three types as per electrical single line diagram design.

Thank you,

T.Brahmanandam.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Electrical control panel
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Main Differences among Single/ Double/ Dead Front Electrical Panels

04/28/2019 4:18 PM

All these items may be determined by contacting suppliers of <...Single/ Double/ Dead front electrical Panels...> directly, as CR4 does not provide such a service.

Good Answers: 1663

04/28/2019 4:57 PM

Google:"differences among Single/ Double/ Dead front electrical Panel"

It's all there for you.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #2

04/29/2019 12:23 AM

Sorry,

In google I didn't get any info for this. That's I posted here in this group. Hoping I will get answer soon.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819
In reply to #3

04/29/2019 3:22 AM

<...Hoping...> Hope is not a strategy. Why wait (rhetorical question - NNTR)?

How did the telephone calls with equipment suppliers go? This feedback will prove valuable for other readers interested in this topic going forwards as a learning exercise. However it would prove indelicate to reveal commercially-sensitive financial information or suppliers' names.

Commentator

Good Answers: 10

Re: Main Differences Among Single/Double/Dead Front Electrical Panels

04/29/2019 5:42 AM

Lyn:- your comment is no doubt correct, but I just tried it and this thread is currently the no.1 on google :-)

For reference of anyone new to the industry, here are some simple descriptions when applied to switchboards, control panels, motor control centres etc:-

Single front - one designated with a front and rear i.e. all the controls and indications at one side (the front) with the rear blank or used for cables only.

Double front - sometimes called back-to-back, controls front and rear, will usually contain vertical cableways along the length of the board. Advantage is shorter length which may translate into lower cost (especially of busbars). Disadvantage is more difficult access especially maintenance.

Dead front - old fashioned term, related to when "open" knife switches were mounted on marble slabs, for instance, hence moving towards a "dead front" with everything live hidden behind a single panel. When I started work in the late 70's many old plants from the 50's still had DOL starters mounted together in rows on a wall (e.g. Allenwest SC1). Not sure what this practice was called but pictures are hard to find these days.

In reply to #5

04/29/2019 4:40 PM

Thanks a lot for your valuable answer.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1663
In reply to #5

04/29/2019 8:59 PM

Thanks.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

04/29/2019 3:27 PM

The quickest way would be to contact a switchboard manufacturer and ask them, they should be able to give you a quick answer if all you are after is a rough idea of the price variation between the different options.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

jack of all trades (1); lyn (2); PWSlack (2); rogerggbr (1); tnvsb (2)

Previous in Forum: IEC - Switchboards, Panel Boards   Next in Forum: Noise

Advertisement