Previous in Forum: Ametek 5402 Current Amplifier 1GV/A 100kHz   Next in Forum: WWV Had 100 Year Celebration
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Commentator
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Greece - Member - New Member

Peltier

06/19/2019 2:35 AM

Does anyone has an experience in peltier?

I have made a cooling machine for grafts. I have used a water cooling system for the peltier ( TEC12704) . At first everything was perfect! it had the ability to make 0° c but after some days i noticed that the most it could make it was 12°C the abient temperature was 25°C My question is the peltier loose power during the time? is some thing else that i have not kept in mind? All the rest ( voltage ect) are the same if anybody has an experience in that please let me explain.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: Peltier

06/19/2019 5:18 AM

A Peltier cooler is only as good as the heatsink. The heat has to go somewhere, and all the cooler can do is maintain a temperature difference between the cool side and the hot side.

Good Answers: 287

06/19/2019 5:49 AM

I can only guess that the heat transfer compound has given way slightly, either between the Peltier and graft, or, the Peltier and water cooler.

Careful measurement of the temperature at the four places should reveal where the problem lies.

Good Answers: 249

06/19/2019 6:02 AM

Did you make your own water cooled system?If so,what type of water was used;distilled,etc.?

Make certain that all connections to the heat sink are tight and as,mentioned earlier,that the heat transfer paste is is good condition.

Consider using a heat-pipe heat sink instead,it is much more efficient.

In reply to #3

06/20/2019 1:42 PM

The heat pipes are very efficient(over 95%) in moving heat from one point to another,the main advantage is that it allows you to locate the heat sink further away from the heat source where there may be more room for a larger heat sink and fan.

Use a high silver content thermal paste for longevity.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

06/19/2019 9:21 AM

If the device isn't performing as well as when it was new and you can't find any mechanical problem such as a loose thermal connection, perhaps it was overheated at some point due to loss of cooling or other problem.

This describes some reasons for Peltier failure or degradation.

https://thermal.ferrotec.com/technology/thermoelectric-reference-guide/thermalref10/

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
United States - Member - Member

Good Answers: 23

06/19/2019 8:30 PM

The semiconductor junctions in a peltier device will degrade very quickly if they overheat. Note that the spec for max T is different from the delta T spec. I have seen modules max T range from 50 degC to 200 degC. I think it depends on the type of solder they use on the junctions.

Good Answers: 242

06/20/2019 12:46 AM

A drawing and/or photos of your system would help.

You say water cooled. I presume you are NOT allowing water to reach the actual Peltier device... With the multiple junctions between different materials, water getting inside the Peltier device would wreak havoc!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Greece - Member - New Member

In reply to #6

06/20/2019 1:44 AM

Thank you for your sesponse , when i said water cooling, i meen the coolermaster masterliquid 120 lite

Good Answers: 242
In reply to #7

06/20/2019 10:38 AM

The CoolerMaster info helps, but I repeat: A drawing and/or photos of your system would help.

I fully understand that English is not your first language, so there may be some translation problems...

Please explain what you mean by "for grafts". I interpret that to mean you are using the system to keep the buds cool prior to insertion in the rootstocks of plants, but I don't think you'd want 0°C for that.

Or perhaps you meant "for graphics" where you are trying to get maximum cooling of a CPU/Graphics card for fast-moving graphic display, as in gaming?

In reply to #7

06/20/2019 2:21 PM

What is the location of your Peltier? Is it between the CPU and the water cooled exchanger?If so,you are dealing with two interfaces.

Here is a link to a page that might help you.

http://dansdata.com/peltprac.htm

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 57

06/20/2019 4:04 AM

I had a peltier fail slowly because the clamping of the heat sinks applied unequal stress to the chip during clamping creating a stress fracture. Tighten slowly and evenly in small increments and use a torque wrench for the final adjustment to the maximum torque allowable.

United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89

06/20/2019 4:23 AM

As Stef has intimated, the peltier structure is quite fragile. When you clamp a heatsink to it, apart from ensuring good thermal transfer (we use a thermal gasket rather than paste) you must ensure that the clamping forces are even & the surfaces flat. We have had peltier devices working for many years without degradation.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

athmio (1); dkwarner (2); HiTekRedNek (3); JohnDG (1); LG_Dave (1); Nigh (1); Randall (1); Rixter (1); Stef (1)

Previous in Forum: Ametek 5402 Current Amplifier 1GV/A 100kHz   Next in Forum: WWV Had 100 Year Celebration

Advertisement