Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Participant

trans solution required

10/15/2007 3:53 PM

Hi there.

I have been trying to find a compact Transmission that has a hi/lo reverse capability that can handle a small but very powerful motor. Also an equally compact distribution point to drive 4 wheels.

Due to size restrictions a normal type SUV approach is not possible. An ATV is also not realistic option due to parts failing. needs to handle 200-240hp at a max 14,000 rpm. I apologies for the crude drawing, I haven't yet mastered auto cad.

The vehicle will weigh around 600-1000 pounds unloaded and loaded.

If any one could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: 4wd diff. hi/lo reverse trans
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

Re: trans solution required

10/15/2007 7:28 PM

It appears from your drawing you do not need a 4 wheel drive transmission but more so a transmission with a power take off to run the chain drive .

the problem will always be the excessive hp in a small transmission but the issue is the trans has limited function so it can be smaller than conventional trans .

you may need to manufacture one in order to meet those requirements .

I have seen small transmission's in fork trucks ,lawn mowers and sports cars,the smallest trans made for such an application would be an old international scout transmission very small and compact and I ran a 302 Ford motor app.200 hp .

The smallest body trans I recall is out of an old Triumph but all these contain extra gears you don't need .

I would look at lawnmower and tractor applications and the machine industry to find power transfer applications .

Possibly a motorcycle or snowmobile( some have reverse ) take some stuff apart and see what works and maybe use internal parts and make a case to house them or modify a striped trans and rework the case for size .

In reply to #1

Re: trans solution required

10/16/2007 5:14 PM

Thanks for the reply.

The purpose of the trans is going to convert a motorcycle eng to an 2wd, 4wd, low 4wd and reverse. The bike eng has already got 6 forward gears so been able 2/4wd will be based on driving surface. Low range is for rock climbing and steep hills..

I have been toying with the idea of an 4wd atv. The only problem then is that im restricted to eng size, as well as the problem of adding 600 or so pounds to a stock drive line will probably lead to a lot of broken parts. And the only cure for it that l can see is running some type of planetary at each wheel to reduce the load on the drive line… in turn loosing top end speed. How much speed I don't know. The bike eng stock is good for around 280kph, and the max that I will need will be around 100/150kph. So I might be ok. All this isn't taking in to factor sprocket size of the bike eng. Atv eng runs a cvt type set up that might be an advantage……..

But at the end of the day, I might be out to lunch with my theory so at this point feel free to correct me.

Thanks for your time,

Pete

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 2 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!

Previous in Forum: steel tube protection   Next in Forum: Information

Advertisement