Previous in Forum: How Many Feathers in a Pigeon Wing?   Next in Forum: Fick's Laws of Diffusion and the Worldwide Decline in Insect Variety and Population.
Close
Close
Close
23 comments
Guru
Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Has Anyone Ever Heard of Dead Rubber?

02/06/2020 11:07 AM

Years ago I had two rubber balls. When you would pick them up they appeared identical in every way. Weight, surface feel, hardness, I mean they seemed identical in every way.

Until you dropped them!

One would bounce with great vigor like a "Superball"

The other would hit the floor with a satisfying thud, if it left the floor with a re-bound or bounce, it was undetectable. I remember it being called "Dead" rubber.

What is it really called? and is there a specification for this "Deadness" like Durometer is for hardness?

I'd like to find some of the deadest sheet rubber possible.

Joe

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20

Re: Dead Rubber

02/06/2020 11:38 AM

Do you have a hardness range? The company I work for makes soft impact absorbing polymer sheets.

Depending on volume, we can tailor a formula to fit your needs. If you are just looking or a one-off, One of our competitors, Sorbothane can be bought through McMaster Carr.

3M also sells a line of dampening materials they call isoloss under the EAR trademark.

In reply to #1

02/06/2020 12:13 PM

Hi Troy,

I have a 0.625 " dia Ball bearing that falls about 6" to a hard surface, and want to make the impact quieter.

So a round that is like 0.625 in diameter, or a sheet I can cut my own. Thickness?

That is hard to say. How thick would it need to be to absorb that energy?

I am currently using some self stick on ummm "Feet" you know you put them on the bottom of things to protect like the table tops from getting scratched?

But these are still too hard.

Joe

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1727
In reply to #3

02/06/2020 12:23 PM
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 58
In reply to #3

02/07/2020 12:28 AM

If you drop a weight onto a rubber/polymer surface it will rebound in the following order from lowest bounce to highest bounce:

V - Fluoro elastomer - viton

K - Nitrile

N - Acrylonitrile butadiene - Nitrile

EP - Ethelene propylene

United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #3

02/07/2020 12:38 PM

If you are located in the US I can send you a few samples of various hardness and thickness to try. Just send me a PM with your contact info.

Good Answers: 284
In reply to #3

02/08/2020 2:23 PM

Filling a soft sided container with a viscous fluid could provide quiet landings.

Hot water bottle or doubled heavy duty ziplock bags filled (don't fill to capacity and do get all the air out) with something like corn syrup , motor or cooking oil, laundry detergent, or creamed corn, can provide a sound deadening landing pad.

02/06/2020 11:54 AM

...."The ball that doesn't bounce is made of a special kind of rubber, called butyl rubber. Butyl rubber is synthetic, or manmade, rubber that absorbs the kinetic energy from the ball falling. Butyl rubber used in athletic shoes can help absorb the impact of your feet as they hit the ground. It can also make things very airtight when the insides are lined with butyl rubber, like basketballs, footballs and soccer balls. You may even find some chewing gum that includes food-grade butyl rubber to keep you chewing!"...

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/12840995/weird-science-with-dr-v-bounce-vs-no-bounce/

https://www.amazon.com/Durometer-Smooth-Finish-Backing-Thickness/dp/B000MAL0K2/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1581008729&refinements=p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A3071283011&s=industrial&sr=1-2

In reply to #2

02/08/2020 9:12 PM

Cut a sphere out of a flat sheet....

In reply to #15

02/09/2020 9:30 PM

Hey - Thanks: not sure how directly relevant that was, but it sure is useful!

Can you specify the shape mathematically?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #18

02/10/2020 3:35 AM

It's a little complicated...or you might just follow a soccer ball pattern of 5 and 6 sided geometric patterns...

http://erikdemaine.org/papers/SphereWrapping_CGTA/paper.pdf

Good Answers: 144

Re: Has Anyone Ever Heard of Dead Rubber?

02/06/2020 1:54 PM

We had a trick in the old magic shop that was exactly what you describe.

I think I thought there may have been an embedded ball bearing in one ball?

The only way to trick someone was for them to belive that there was only one ball and it would bounce / or not as directed.

....perhaps you inherited some magicians props with a misleading story?

In reply to #5

02/06/2020 2:58 PM

No, it was real,

It came actually from some rubber manufacturer it had a special box and all. But it was a like fun promo thing from some rubber company

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

02/06/2020 4:08 PM
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

02/06/2020 4:19 PM

This may not answer your question but is related to it:

https://framingnailersguide.com/dead-blow-hammer-vs-rubber-mallet/

Good Answers: 137

02/06/2020 6:41 PM

It isn't rubber but the vibration labs used to recommend Delrin for fixturing. They said that from a vibration fixture point of view it was very dead.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

02/07/2020 5:10 AM

<...One would bounce with great vigor like a "Superball"...>

Temperature is an important consideration. When cooled to -180degC in liquid nitrogen, a <...Superball...> will shatter like glass when dropped from, say 4ft onto a hard floor, for example (been there, done it, secondhand T-shirt now on a popular internet auction site).

Good Answers: 249

02/08/2020 7:56 AM

In reply to #13

02/09/2020 9:18 AM

Sorbothane is available in sheet form if needed at the above link.

Good Answers: 3

02/08/2020 10:59 PM

My brother in law was one of the top blokes of the Rubber Research Institute of Malaysia's pre-retirement and he says that pure rubber/latex can easily achieve what you want BUT butyl rubber, a copolymer of isobutylene with isoprene, (as Solar Eagle mentioned) would be the better option for one very simple reason – cost.

He further stated that if it is on a floor it should be about 5mm thick butyl rubber and a desk/bench top about 3mm thick butyl rubber (depending on the desk/bench surface) if they are to be removable sheets.
Again with the BUT’s – If it is for a floor in a high traffic area he suggested a floor coating of ???? 400micron thick (He can’t remember the products name, save they are yanks and Woody’s son has an agency here – he’ll check – or I shall be forced to have a beer with Woody…bugger) with a 3mm thick butyl rubber wear mat. See pic.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

02/10/2020 9:32 AM

Looks a lot like Sorbothane;refer to link in my previous post

Sorbothane® sheet stock is available in an array of sizes, thicknesses and durometers. Available with and without PSA sheets, they can be custom-cut or water-jet-cut.

Location: Newtongrange (10 miles from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK (1,000,000 miles from the real world)

02/10/2020 4:44 AM

I haven't heard of 'dead' rubber in this context though a lead filled hammer which has no rebound when it strikes is often called a dead hammer.

Focusing on the words, a dead rubber is a term in the card game bridge where a rubber is the collection of games or hands played and one pair wins. A dead rubber is one where hands are still being played when only one pair can win. And, yes, material science is a cinch compared to explaining how one plays contract bridge!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 284

07/07/2020 12:21 AM

Really, Josehenry1800 (who, at the time of this post, joined within the last 24 hours and has all of one post), this is the way you introduce yourself and your website?

In reply to #22

07/07/2020 4:32 AM

Sorry to hear that. I will must contribute here.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (1); chhackm (1); David H (1); HiTekRedNek (3); JE in Chicago (1); josehenry1800 (1); NSS (2); PWSlack (1); Sapling (1); SolarEagle (5); StandardsGuy (1); The Prof (1); Troy36 (2); truth is not a compromise (2)

Previous in Forum: How Many Feathers in a Pigeon Wing?   Next in Forum: Fick's Laws of Diffusion and the Worldwide Decline in Insect Variety and Population.

Advertisement