Previous in Forum: Aquaponics   Next in Forum: Disinfection Protocol for Coronavirus
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 5: « First 1 2 3 Next > Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

The Ultimate Weapon in the Fight Against the Covid19 Virus

03/26/2020 2:49 PM

Far uv-c at the 222nm wavelength seems to do what uv-c light does in seconds as opposed to minutes, and the big difference is that it is safe for the eyes and human presence....It is more destructive to the virus and could be placed in strategic locations right now....If we had enough lights that is...This would serve as a control to not just the covid19 virus but to all viruses and bacteria as well....no more seasonal flu, no more deaths from superbugs, no more cruise ships held captive by noroviruses....

There is a difference between uv-c and far uv-c ...

..."Far-UV disinfection is faster and far more effective than UV-C. ... Physically destroys cells due to its shorter wavelength and higher photon energy than UV-C, which chemically changes bonds and causes mutations that prevent cells from replicating, but does not destroy them."...Oct 24, 2019

..."In a nutshell, UV (wavelength around 222 nanometers) is superior to UV-C (around 254 nm) for disinfection in the following ways:

• More efficient at low dose rates.
  • Much faster than UV-C - kills pathogens in seconds vs. minutes
  • Higher absorption rate in bacteria and viruses.
  • Safer for use around humans because it cannot penetrate skin or eyes.
  • Physically destroys cells due to its shorter wavelength and higher photon energy than UV-C, which chemically changes bonds and causes mutations that prevent cells from replicating, but does not destroy them.

It seems strange that a small change in wavelength can make the enormous functional difference between far-UV and UV-C, but dozens of tests by independent labs have demonstrated far-UV's lethality to a wide range of pathogens, including MRSA, VRE, and C. diff spores.

The speed and efficiency of far-UV, as well as its safety for use around humans, make it ideal for hospital disinfection tasks, and have led to a variety of devices that employ Far-UV-C technology.

Tests of far-UV on surfaces have demonstrated that it kills C. difficile spores in seconds versus 45 minutes for UV-C and hours for chemical cleaning. One such case is discussed in the paper Evaluation of a hand-held far-ultraviolet radiation device for decontamination of Clostridium difficile and other healthcare-associated pathogens."...

..."A key advantage of far UV over the UV-C light used in most UV sterilization is that it cannot penetrate human skin or eyes. Far UV's shorter wavelength renders it unable to pass through the barrier of non-living cells on skin, and tears on the surface of the eye. At the same time, that wavelength is what makes it superior in penetrating and inactivating bacteria and viruses. (See the 2018 study Far UV-C light: A new tool to control the spread of airborne-mediated microbial diseases.

In fact, since far-UV light is 10 to 1000 times safer to use around humans than traditional UV-C, it can be used to disinfect a room even when people are present. This makes it practical for daily disinfection tasks. According to the study cited above:

"Based on biophysical considerations and in contrast to the known human health safety issues associated with conventional germicidal 254-nm broad-spectrum UV-C light, far UV-C light does not appear to be cytotoxic to exposed human cells and tissues in vitro or in vivo.""...

https://www.hepacart.com/blog/effective-uv-disinfection-lights-4-benefits-of-far-uv-sterilray

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 402

Re: The Ultimate Weapon in the Fight Against the Covid19 Virus

03/26/2020 2:56 PM

in the food industry we use pulsed UV to fight pathogens. Pulsed UV is very high intensity, I don’t recall the numbers, but the supplier is Xenon

Guru

03/26/2020 3:25 PM

Germicidal Efficacy and Mammalian Skin Safety of 222-nm UV Light

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5552051/

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0201259

Ushio is proud to introduce the Care222® series, our new line of 222nm Far UV-C excimer lamps for microbial reduction.

https://www.ushio.com/product/care222-mercury-free-far-uv-c-excimer/

Kill airborne viruses at the speed of light...go far...

In reply to #2

03/26/2020 3:45 PM

Good Answers: 272
In reply to #3

03/26/2020 4:07 PM

I wonder if they can be "persuaded" to share their designs with other manufacturers, so that the world can be flooded with these faster than their own prototype and production ramp up will allow.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

03/26/2020 4:12 PM

Sure,... after the patent is secured. Remember, They took the risk, it’s up to them, and frankly, as a business decision, why take the incentive away to develop a solution.

Guru

In reply to #5

03/26/2020 4:38 PM

https://sterilray.com/2018/02/21/far-uvc-is-our-patented-far-uv-sterilray/

Found this...

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20100028201

....and this....

"The UV radiant efficiencies of a DBD driven excimer (V)UV light source depend on the electron densities and the electron distribution function, and can be “controlled” mainly by the applied voltage frequency and shape, gas pressure, gas composition, and gas gap distance. For the most efficient excimers Xe2, XeCl, XeBr and KrCl, which emit narrow-banded or quasi-monochromatic UV light at 172 nm, 308 nm, 282 nm, and 222 nm, respectively, typical efficiencies are in the 8-15% range for sinusoidal high voltage and lamp arrangement (the efficiencies take into account the absorption of UV light by the metallic mesh electrode)."

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6633109B2/en

https://www.spiedigitallibrary.org/conference-proceedings-of-spie/3908/0000/Perspectives-of-using-the-223-nm-wavelength-of-the-KrCl/10.1117/12.387517.short?SSO=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excimer_lamp

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/1.1448635

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0009261480800716

In reply to #6

03/26/2020 4:55 PM

"Application of a 222-nm krypton-chlorine excilamp to control foodborne pathogens on sliced cheese surfaces and characterization of the bactericidal mechanisms"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168160516306535

https://www.hcei.tsc.ru/en/cat/technologies/excilamps/Excilamps.html

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #6

03/27/2020 9:41 AM

I have come across a link given below which indicates some DOs and DON'Ts

file:///C:/Users/HP/Downloads/Diet_instructions_for_beating_COVID_19.pdf

I am not able to post the text in the word format. Pl. open the above link and read. The aim is to conquer over the deadly virus.

DHAYANANDHAN.S

Good Answers: 231
In reply to #31

03/27/2020 12:38 PM

I tried the link; it does not work for me. It appears to be the path for a file on your C-Drive.

Since the title includes "diet", I suspect that it is only related to Covid 19, not to UV-C @222nm.

Since this looks like it is in your downloads folder, it may be copyrighted. If you go to the source from which the document was downloaded, copy the URL, and paste it into the CR4 Edit window.

Finally, you can go into Word, select all, copy, return to the CR4 edit window, and paste.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #5

04/01/2020 11:31 PM

"Why take the incentive away..."
Try human lives, life/lifestyle as we know it, OR, in a more prosaic way, Keep The Bastards Alive So We Have Customers In the Future

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #151

04/02/2020 12:42 AM

Maybe you should mortgage or better yet sell you House, sell you car, and liquidate everything you own, and use the money to purchase mask for all the strangers, that way, the businesses can survive to serve the survivors, when this is all over... you on the other hand... is stead of others making the sacrifice, look at it as sacrificing the few for the many.

now that would be poetic, don’t you think?

In reply to #158

04/02/2020 1:48 AM

Maybe I spent to long in the sun, but I don't get the bit "... the businesses can survive to serve the survivors, when this is all over... you on the other hand... is stead of others making the sacrifice, look at it as sacrificing the few for the many...."

After the "... you on the other hand... " if you think I mean that the "few" - being the designers - sacrifice some cash (royalties) for "the many" then you would be right and to that end I quote a historic War time Leader,

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few..."

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #162

04/02/2020 10:35 AM

As a capitalist, there will be businesses. But it won’t be the same ones.

with the quarantine,... businesses that are deemed nonessential but are closed down still has expenses. Making products that puts them as essential and still you want them to donate their time and product and give up the costs what they spent to take up that risk. Then you don’t have the grasp of basic cash flow and profitability and how a business operates.

back to my original post you referred to. If a business took it upon themselves, the business took the risks and the cost to make a product because the business foresee a potential product. The risk And costs is still there that was taken. And why?. Not for humanitarian reasons, but to keep the business viable.now some business, if they did extremely well, where the stocker holders didn’t raid the profits... fine.

You remove that profit (that’s still potential profit), that business and all businesses like that, will not take that risk in the first place. And now your living in Venezuela.

now there businesses are coming forward and retooling for this pandemic, but for some idle armchair critics, who believes help should be camped out On their front doorstep, that’s not good enough.

In reply to #168

04/02/2020 11:35 AM

Hmm...maybe I didn't make my thought clear or my choice of word was a little disparate, but what was meant was that they should give it up to the government who, I believe in the US have the power to take anyway, and pay them restitution.

The science is already out there and readily available - so it seems.

So they would have got some cash...but waiting for a patent now, and getting it in 18-36 months, for a market that may or may not exist, for a product that may have no use, at that point in time, would appear to me to be missing the crest of the wave.
I would, humbly suggest, that the "brownie points" scored now would be rewarded tenfold IF the product is a success.....a marketing managers dream.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #172

04/02/2020 11:51 AM

No, they should not give up to the government... there is already in place a wars act that upon a situation, by government order, you must retool.

that is already in place... now this was in place prior to a situation... I don’t have time now, but I will give an example..

In reply to #172

04/02/2020 12:36 PM

The first time its called The War Powers Act of 1941

There have been revisions since then. But one of the things this does, as a personal example.

A friend of mine had a Yacht, as he had it out, I believe it was the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) demanded to see his registration. His response he didn’t need it because his ship is listed to be used for Government usage in a crisis and has a plaque (An actual Bronze Plaque) stating so and prominently displayed in lieu of a registration license. And this plaque must be displayed.

The DNR personal weren’t familiar with this and didn’t understand it and was doing the robot procedure of a boat that didn’t have registrations.

I'm looking for the act that states this. If anything, I'll try to get a hold of my friend. The because the plaque actually states the statutes.

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #174

04/02/2020 1:13 PM

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/u-s-government-takes-over-control-of-nations-railroads

Not unheard of.

In reply to #175

04/02/2020 1:15 PM

No, it’s not. But what’s surprising no one realizes it even exists... and instead wants the government to just take over.

In reply to #172

04/02/2020 1:21 PM

Hmm...maybe I didn't make my thought clear or my choice of word was a little disparate, but what was meant was that they should give it up to the government who, I believe in the US have the power to take anyway, and pay them restitution.

now your letting your imagination run away from you.

just look at Hedy Lamarr with signal hopping.

Guru

In reply to #4

03/26/2020 5:21 PM

Why wouldn't they, they will never be able to meet demand, and pricing is likely to be capped due to potential price gouging accusations....We need an army building and deploying these lights...the technology involved doesn't appear to be difficult, it's a krypton and chlorine gas filled quartz tube driven at a high frequency, if I understood the brief read over I did...Not sure what part would even be patentable....

Guru

In reply to #8

03/26/2020 5:41 PM

The government has the power to step in and compel this company to expand with federal funding in a big way... that could be done

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #2

03/27/2020 8:06 AM

how many minutes does microbes and viruses last after exposure?

Does it have to be a light at 222nm wavelenght? How about with just EM wave with 222nm?

Login to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #29

03/27/2020 12:23 PM

Light IS just an ElectroMagnetic wave. Any EM wave with a wavelength of 222nm IS Far UV-C Light. Other frequencies/wavelengths may or may not be present at the same time, depending on the kind of light source.

In reply to #35

03/28/2020 1:20 AM

So you mean, if I make or oscillate 222nm EM wave I should see a UV light?

Login to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #47

03/28/2020 10:59 AM

NO! Violet is the shortest wavelength the normal human eye can see. Ultra means "beyond". UltraViolet means "Beyond Violet". You can't see UV light, because the wavelength is too short for our retinas to detect, so if these short 222nm waves are the only waves present, you would see nothing.

This is especially true for these 222nm waves, according to the links that SE provided, because they are absorbed in the tear layer, and never reach the retina.

Most light sources produce a spectrum of light, including waves of longer and shorter wavelength in addition to the intemded wavelength. So when you look at common UV lights, you can see some dim blue to violet light, but what you are seeing is not UV. The UV light is presumably much brighter than that which we can see, which is why they can be so dangerous. See one of my earlier posts in this thread.

Lasers do produce a light of essentially a single wavelength, so if someone could produce a 222nm laser, I presume that would be the ideal disinfectant.

Guru

03/26/2020 5:27 PM

US just surpassed Italy and China as having the most covid19 cases...

Good Answers: 52
In reply to #9

03/26/2020 10:50 PM

What???

Not good ...

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #9

03/27/2020 10:43 AM

I consider all of the chart numbers to be significantly under-reported. Most localities are requiring a positive test to identify an infection and most localities are restricting access to testing. The result is that we are seeing cases pop up in locations with no identifiable infection source. The virus has gone in effect,"free range".

Considering that the KrCl 222nm light was disclosed in a public release over two years ago, the production of the light sources could be considered public domain and any sort of accelerated production and distribution method should be aggressively pursued for soonest possible deployment.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

03/27/2020 3:33 PM

Agreed...

Good Answers: 144

03/26/2020 7:40 PM

I'm really not sure if this will help anyone, but I ordered an ozone generator last weekend to unleash when the house is empty. Or in the garage, car, etc.

Hopefully an effective treatment for incoming packages, mail, groceries and whatever else.

NOT FOR USE IN OCCUPIED SPACE!!

They are getting harder to come by if you want to try and get one.

In reply to #11

03/26/2020 10:55 PM

I've owned one for year. The one I have is a wooden box with an ozone generator and a fan. I use it to remove odors from cars and my rentals.

I read that you have to be careful with it. If you overdo it, you can damage the "good" things in your home/car. I read a story about a detailer who cranked up the ozone machine in a client's car. After way too much ozone exposure for too long a time, the plastics in the car would crumble to the touch. I also heard a story about someone doing this in a house and things would disintegrate in the house.

It could be used to treat mail, packages, etc.

In reply to #16

03/26/2020 11:23 PM

This far uv produces no ozone...

In reply to #17

03/27/2020 12:19 AM

Yeah, but does ozone produce UV?

Good Answers: 272
In reply to #22

03/27/2020 12:54 PM

Just the opposite, but irrelevant.

In reply to #38

03/29/2020 9:56 PM

I was just kidding.

In reply to #77

04/01/2020 3:23 AM

Way up in the atmosphere, UV creates ozone and ozone creates UV. Here on earth, the ozone machine uses UV light to create ozone.

I still agree that it's irrelevant, but in these CV days, there's a lot of irrelevant stuff going on as we just sit here twiddling our thumbs!

Good Answers: 32
In reply to #22

03/27/2020 1:24 PM

Ozone is a gas heavier than air with a 25 minute half life, it is a highly reactive gas with three unpaired oxygen molecules looking for something to exchange atoms to become neutral. Anything of organic origins is a target. This is why it is such a strong sterilizer for medical facilities as well as your water source. Just read the label on most bottled water usually states SPRING WATER /OZONE. Nothing I state should indicate uneducated use. Never use in a confined area with PEOPLE, PETS, PLANTS.

Good Answers: 144
In reply to #16

03/27/2020 5:56 AM

all the newer ones come with a twist to set timer instead of an on/off switch so you can't accidentally leave it on longer than you set it. Usually 20 minutes to an hour is fine.

I like the fact that it will get into hidden places where mold spores can live. I've been in some nasty spaces where I wish I could have used this ahead of time.

Thanks for the warning! advice

I'll experiment in a closed box full of different common materials the effects of longer exposure.

In reply to #28

03/29/2020 9:53 PM

It's a fantastic machine.

And it also gets rid of cigarette smoke smell. I've used it on cars that were so bad, as soon as I opened the door, it smelled like an ash tray.

My process: I get a bucket of hot soapy water (nothing too harsh). I use a rag and wipe down all hard surfaces. I then rinse with clear water - rinse until the water is clear. Then I spray spot cleaner (Folex - I buy it by the gallon at Home Depot) on the carpet and fabric, agitate with the cap from a can of foaming carpet cleaner, wait, then vacuum. I use window cleaner on the interior windows - not it's ready for the Ozone machine. I spray ozone spray into the vent ducts - quite a bit of the stuff. Next, I place the ozone machine in the back seat, then turn it on. I usually check back in 4 hours to see how the car smells. If it's still bad, I leave it for another 2 hours. Repeat until the smell goes away. Typically, the next day, the smell comes back, so I run it again for 4 hours and this is usually the last time I have to run the machine.

In reply to #76

03/30/2020 12:15 AM

I once bought a car like that. At first, I told the sales lady that I really liked the car, but I couldn't stand the cigarette odor. She said: "Come back tomorrow, and we'll take care of that." I did go back the next day. Presumably they used a similar device to your ozone machine. The odor was considerably less objectionable, but definitely not gone. I did buy the car, but the odor had definitely NOT disappeared. A couple of weeks later, purely by accident, I left a sealed 2 lb. bag of coffee beans on the floor behind the drivers seat. I left the car sitting in the sun for two full days without remembering about it. When I went to use the car on the third day, I could only smell coffee (wonderful!).

I think I left the coffee thare for a few more days before taking it inside. I was afraid the coffee made from those beans would smell or taste like tobacco, but it was fine. The tobacco smell never came back in the car! Try it!

Good Answers: 240
In reply to #86

03/30/2020 7:15 AM

Here is a tip I learned from an old used car dealer:

Slice an apple in half,and put it in the car for a few days.

It will absorb all the odors in the car.

He swears it works and have heard from others that it does indeed work,not just for cigarette odors.

Maybe something about the ethylene gas it produces.

A little off sub,but if you want a green tomato to ripen perfectly,wash it it in a diluted Clorox solution for a few seconds,this kills any bacteria on the surface, then rinse thoroughly, then put it in a paper bag with a ripe apple.The ethylene gas will ripen it perfectly very quickly.

Ethylene gas is used to ripen green tomatoes before shipping from storage.

In reply to #87

03/31/2020 2:50 PM

I've heard about the sliced apple in the car. I'd prefer that smell to cigarette smell any day!

I'll have to give that one a try too.

Thanks for sharing. I'd give you a GA, but I tried and it won't let me.

In reply to #86

03/31/2020 2:48 PM

Excellent tip! Coffee smells good, so it would be a great smell to replace cigarette smoke!

Thanks for sharing!

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

03/26/2020 9:22 PM

This sounds great in light of the reports of the virus staying alive on touched surfaces. It would be interesting to know whether person-to-person or transmission via touched surfaces is the primary mode of transmission.

I didn't see anything about cost, but it's got to be cheaper than what this pandemic has cost the economy.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

03/26/2020 9:37 PM

They haven't priced them yet they're still working out the cost to produce...I would imagine that transmission is primarily aerosol, followed by touched surfaces and person-to-person contact, this far uv kills all three almost instantly, less than a second anyway, so they claim....

In reply to #13

03/26/2020 10:53 PM

Sounds Fantastic!

Under the current conditions, cost should be a minor consideration! Compared to the $Trillions of cost of the crisis, a few $Billion should be easily affordable!

Without knowing many details, I'd expect early units to cost in the order of $1000. Mass production could probably bring the unit price down to $100 or less. Look what has happened to the cost of high intensity LEDs over the last decade.

In reply to #15

03/26/2020 11:27 PM

Yes the deployment of these around every doorway entrance and exit to public buildings would be the way to start...bus stops, uber's and taxi's, subways, everywhere....the market is nearly unlimited....

In reply to #18

03/27/2020 12:12 AM

I'd sure want verification that the 222nm wavelength is indeed incapable of penetrating the eyes!

Around 30 years ago, while teaching science/physics, I used a mineral light for demonstrations in 5 classes on the same day. I thought I was being careful to keep it pointed away from both myself and the students, but the result was one of the most painful experiences I've ever had. It felt like my eyes were full of sand. I don't know what wavelength that hand-held unit produced...

In reply to #20

03/27/2020 1:31 AM

That sounds like the standard uv-c @ 254nm wavelength which is harmful to the eyes and skin...I have several of these lights....I have supplied many links to studies explaining the difference between the 254nm and 222nm light sources...The 222nm wavelength with not penetrate the surface of the skin or eyes....Yeah it's weird I know...but it is what it is...Talk about a timely discovery...

Guru

In reply to #18

03/27/2020 12:15 AM

This is our chance to eliminate viral and bacterial diseases of all kinds....I envision a time when you enter a hospital and everywhere you go inside that hospital you are constantly exposed to these far uv rays...We could save 150k people a year with this bullet, and now is the perfect time to strike, while we have the will, motivation and money, to accomplish this herculean task...

This facility is 222 protected....

In reply to #21

03/27/2020 12:22 AM

At a lot of restaurants, there's a uV light source mounted on the wall. I assume it's for killing germs.

If they can have them at restaurants, then an additional uV source shouldn't be a concern - as long as it's safe.

In reply to #23

04/03/2020 2:10 PM

Those lights at restaurants could be fly-catchers, the UV light used to attract them to a sticky film. Such as: https://www.gardeners.com/buy/dynatrap-dt3039-flying-insect-trap/8598258.html

or https://www.katom.com/583-BL100WHITE.html

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

04/01/2020 2:37 AM

Here's an idea. What about including it in every LED 4 ft T8 tube? They're putting regular LED tubes in offices, schools, etc - so why not include it in every tube. If millions are produced, I bet the cost would drop to pennies for the producer.

And the benefits would be huge. Kills virus and bacteria!

Anyone have an idea on how this could be accomplished - quickly!!!

03/26/2020 11:32 PM

Good Answers: 12

03/27/2020 2:09 AM

Thank you! This is something I was not aware of and the information you've provided is fascinating. I've been aware of the use of UV for water treatment and other sterilization applications but it has to be done so as to prevent injury to people around the equipment and this is the first I've heard of 222nm UV and it's potential. Since it appears relatively new it is probably expensive but with such broad application potential and it's safety around humans the pricing should come down pretty fast. Again, thanks!

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #25

03/27/2020 2:59 AM

If somebody could come up with an LED that produced the 222nm wavelength light, he would be sitting on a goldmine....!!!

In reply to #26

03/27/2020 3:20 AM
Power-User

In reply to #26

03/27/2020 2:31 PM

A LED that could operate in the range would certainly provide a low cost solution. I was thinking if there was any downside to using this technique. Since it wipes out bacteria and virus' we would also be wiping out a lot of good bacteria, which we need in the overall scheme of things. There are bacteria called bacteriophages which eat regular bacteria. Sounds like a lions and zebra thing; so it might not be prudent to over-use this tech. I would think the 222nm tech should be used with some caution. Certainly hospitals, food production and the like are fertile areas for it's use. Using it like a shotgun for eliminating bacteria and virus under all circumstances everywhere could cause problems. Unintended consequences have a way of undoing the best of intentions. After pursuing a "solution" vigorously only to say oops! Could put you in a worse position. Just saying...

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #41

03/27/2020 3:29 PM

I don't think there is any danger of that happening, this light just effects the surface...I will assume most people are going to be fully clothed...potentially wiping out all of some bacteria is like saying you're afraid of killing all the ants or mosquitoes...just not realistic....Now that's not to say that there might be unintended consequences that are unknown at this time....and vigilance is called for, but the benefits in my mind far outweigh any possible risks at this point in time....

03/27/2020 8:38 AM

The sun has it. I think to get much sunlight helps to eradicate viruses.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 32

03/27/2020 11:29 AM

Good info also China, Korea, Japan and others have found high doses of Vitamin C to be better than just effective then there is the Oxygen therapies such as Ozone used properly, Hydrogen peroxide and Chlorine Dioxide again used properly that are in use however probably rarely by the conventional medical industry. To those with an open mind there is the electrical bombardment hypothesis that to me as a health coach seems to have some strong implications to the probable cause.

Good Answers: 1

03/27/2020 11:38 AM

We studied andused these lamps 15 yrs ago in H2O purification as I recall. Yes wavelength is critical

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

03/27/2020 2:25 PM

How were you producing the 222nm wavelength?.....or are you talking about higher wavelengths?

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

03/27/2020 12:40 PM

United States

Coronavirus Cases: 93,151

Deaths: 1,382

Recovered: 2,424

A few days ago the recovered was about half the deaths, now it's nearly double (a very good trend). Here is the link:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

In reply to #37

03/28/2020 1:24 AM

one way of liquidating or shrinking the economic bubble with the oldies pension and health care.

Login to Reply
Guru

03/27/2020 4:11 PM

This is from June 2016...

03/27/2020 5:36 PM

Like This.

In reply to #45

03/27/2020 6:20 PM

That would be cool if it was 222nm wavelength light....but it's not....

Good Answers: 4

03/28/2020 10:25 AM

In the visible spectrum, light intensity (brightness, if you will) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. That is, the brightness of a one lumen source is one lumen/sq.ft at a distance of one foot, 1/4 lumen/sq.ft. at two feet, 1/9 lumen at three feet, 1/16 at four feet, etc. To me this beggars the question about far UV-C, 222nm:

Is the effectiveness also inversely proportional to the square of the distance? For example 100% effective per sq. ft. at one foot from the source, 25% at two feet, 11% at three feet, 6+% at four feet, etc.? This question would, of course, be for design purposes like the power(?) required for a ceiling lamp of far UV-C, 222nm. Also, for my own edification

Just sayin',

TBC

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

03/28/2020 11:13 AM

The inverse square law that you refer to is correct for unfocused light . Add mirrors and/or lenses, and it is no longer true. The more focused, the less rapidly does the intensity diminish with distance.

Perhaps the best illustration of this fact is that scientists regularly bounce laser beams off reflectors on the Moon, and measure the time of flight for the reflected beam to return. This has made it possible to prove that the Moon is moving away from Earth (a few centimeters a year, if I recall correctly). Lasers are the most highly focused light sources that I am aware of.

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #51

03/28/2020 12:28 PM

I understand, but is this (or can this) Far UV-C, 222nm light (be) focused in its current iterations or will it require new design, development & testing?

Just sayin,

TBC

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #53

03/29/2020 12:14 AM

From Ushio:

The light is clearly emitted from only one side of the lamp. Since light going the opposite direction or sideways would be wasted, it would be logical for there to be some form of reflector, and based on this drawing, such a reflector would have to be internal. On the other hand, I currently have virtually no knowledge of what substance (if any) is capable of reflecting this wavelength.

Along the same line, I have no knowledge of what substances are transparent to these wavelengths. My first guess would be fused quartz, but that is only a very slightly educated guess. Any lens capable of focusing this light must, of course, be transparent to it.

In reply to #49

03/28/2020 12:21 PM

Yes the light would have to be engineered to meet the requirements of the space...So say for instance the formula for destruction was 1 watt per sq cm per second....the time has to be taken into account, then the strength of the light needs to meet those demands...but more relevant is if you're standing directly under the light it takes .20 sec to kill, if you then move further away it now takes .50 sec to kill, and so on....but if the effect of the light is also to kill airborne viruses and bacteria in aerosol emissions, then you want high enough kill speed to accomplish that task...a sneeze aerosol emission moves with great speed...but not faster than light haha....

03/28/2020 3:36 PM

Speaking with this Korean doctor about why they were able to contain the virus so well...they have been through this a couple of times already with sars and mers...

Good Answers: 1659

03/28/2020 10:02 PM

What qualifies you to pass judgement on a treatment, about which YOU KNOW NOTHING? A discussion is fine, but your one sided posts are simply propaganda.

The misinformation created by you and the other deniers here should be banned!

Some here are truly sick, literally and tired of your campaign to praise a failure and some of us are living the life of no breath and no hope for any rational response from this "governments" officials.

I am in the upper age group, with COPD, that is doomed if no real help comes from sane people!

2,000 deaths here in the USA DUE TO NO PLANNING, AND NO BRAINS!

Ban me if you wish, I have no use for these lies and misinformation.

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru

In reply to #55

03/28/2020 10:20 PM

You're letting your imagination run away with you, this happens pretty much every year during the flu season...This is one that attacks the lungs making it more deadly for those like yourself and me for that matter....Just practice isolation and common sense and I'm sure you'll survive just like I plan to....Panic is not going to help, we've been through rougher times than this many times over the years....another couple of months and this will all be forgotten...then we'll know better and can advance these technologies that can control this sort of thing and put an end to it....You should put it all out of your mind and build a model or something that will keep your mind occupied while you wait for this to pass....

Good Answers: 1659
In reply to #56

03/29/2020 12:19 AM

Don't EVER give me your advice! You are NOT a good source for truth.

You are promoting a false prophet!

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #58

03/29/2020 12:29 AM

Maybe you could take up knitting....? Sorry I don't know any prophets...

In reply to #59

03/30/2020 1:08 PM

I imagine it is a question of prophet or loss.....mostly loss.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #59

03/30/2020 7:19 PM

I want you to know...

and it goes something like

Guru

In reply to #58

03/29/2020 12:47 AM

I don't understand what riled you Lyn! SE is clearly excellent at doing online research, and his research has definitely led me to understand this 222nm far-UV a whole lot more than I did before. It may not be a panacea, but it definitely could help, and if the currently ongoing research shows it to be safe in the presence of unprotected live humans, then it could vastly reduce the numbers of infections by next flu season.

In reply to #60

03/29/2020 3:42 AM

...Not to mention hospital acquired infections and superbugs in general, including antibiotic resistant strains that seem to keep popping up everywhere, an end to these horror stories of people getting staph infection and losing limbs during some minor operation....we need this technology....

Guru

In reply to #61

03/29/2020 10:52 AM

A friend of mine was a nurse in an assisted living. And there was a outbreak of MERS about 12 years ago...

They locked down all of the facilities and when she talked about it, there was actually fear in her voice.

Now, the fear is down graded to concern... and getting milder and because it’s fast becoming the norm to where the feeling is, someone else will take care of this...

it’s almost like people,

1. are either becoming desensitized,
  2. triggered or
  3. emotionally over-sensitizely??? and radically triggered.

and when one try’s to pick up and improve on your own, it gets desecrated, but that’s not good enough as though you just need to wait until the professionals bring you the help you require. And then throws a childish tantrum when this help isn’t waiting on their doorstep when they need it. While complaining why no one is doing nothing for the and making very little effort to help themselves.

We are fast becoming too dependent on an unknown entity who doesn’t even know our name, to take care of us. it’s fine for support, but in fact, how it used to be, the only one that’s going to take care of number 1, is number 1.

In reply to #58

03/30/2020 10:31 AM

Easy there Lyn, SE has been promoting every crack pot fringe "success" he can find. It is a typical response to fear. This is a coping mechanism, nothing more. Its his way of feeling like he has some measure of control. He is also increasingly hostile to any who question him which is also part of the fear response.
The fact that we have no control, no valid treatments or vaccines has most people scared shitless especially if they understand the numbers about the communicability of this bugger. Two to three orders of magnitude greater than flu. And its fatality rate is likewise that much worse.

Stay home, Stay Safe. Listen to the real experts, there the ones telling you we DO NOT have a treatment but are working on it. Anyone that tells you otherwise is just scared and looking for hope. Pity them but don't engage because this is a survival level animal response. The backlash will be legendary as you have already seen.

Stay Home.
Stay Safe.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Guru

In reply to #89

03/30/2020 10:51 AM

That couldn’t have been done with a PM...

I know you started out with SE, just before you started criticizing... I have to ask,... your criticism appear to describing lyn and his ability to cope.

Do yourself a favor and this community and stop, IMMEDIATELY.

In reply to #89

03/30/2020 1:30 PM

I am quite fearless....

In reply to #89

03/31/2020 2:53 PM

Great answer. Calm is key and panic isn't going to help.

The rotten media doesn't understand, as they keep shooting for ratings. What they don't understand is that they're killing our economy, which in turn is killing the income from their business (advertising).

Keep safe and that's for the response. We need more like this!

In reply to #111

03/31/2020 2:56 PM

???

In reply to #58

03/30/2020 1:31 PM

I recall from the last round of ebola that someone developed a UV based room sterilizer based on a robot with high intensity UV lamps. As deployed, it would wander around an unoccupied room and sterilize most exposed surfaces. However, the wavelength and intensity meant that if someone was in the room when it went off, the individual could be severely injured.

At this point it is apparent that the virus has gone free range (and has been since December) and that isolation and generalized sterilization are the best methods available to localize and isolate pathogen vectors. I'm still finding the best historic model is the Spanish influenza epidemic of 1918 and we should expect that total infections should be on the order of 2.5 billion infections and 25 million deaths worldwide. Any result that is less can be attributed to effectiveness of development of vaccine and remedial treatments.

Something I have not heard is in the development pipeline is an antibody assay tool to identify those who have had the disease and recovered. I suspect there are more of these individuals around than anyone currently expects. Such individuals would likely be one of the most valuable resources for recovery as they would likely have immunity and be able to provide support, care and day to day services without the risk of contamination, infection and retransmission and would likely require much less support by means of personal protection equipment. Perhaps in conjunction with an antibody assay, we should develop a recovery badge that a person could use to indicate they are safe to return to a normal existence.

Guru

In reply to #96

03/30/2020 1:40 PM

Something I have not heard is in the development pipeline is an antibody assay tool to identify those who have had the disease and recovered.

so,... your looking for antibodies to fight CORVID-19., I was wondering somewhat on those lines for American Red Cross, as in how is their blood supply going on with this lock down.

In reply to #97

03/30/2020 1:51 PM

Not looking for antibodies to fight COVID 19, but to act as an indicator that the individual has had the disease and recovered. As I understand it, the current tests look for viral DNA to indicate an active case. Once the case is over and the virus has been significantly reduced/eliminated, the only effective way to determine exposure is to look for the antibodies.

I may be wrong bout the test looking for viral DNA only, but I have heard nothing about testing for antibodies. I am aware of tests for other disease exposure where the antibody was reacted with a bioluminescent agent that would cause a test sample to immediately glow, an instant test.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #98

03/30/2020 2:28 PM

Understood,... I’m sure it’s being done,.. to track it to the vicinity of patient zero?,... Maybe?.

could learn a lot from this on how it technic on how spreads to be able to deal with it as well as prepare for the next time pandemic.

Guru

Good Answers: 240
In reply to #100

04/03/2020 12:55 PM

I recently read that patients that have recovered from the virus are being screened for antibodies in order to develop a vaccine.

Their blood is drawn,antibodies extracted,and returned to their bodies.

This was the first method of vaccine development,before DNA was discovered.

It still holds promise as a valid method of rapid vaccine development.

I hope they succeed.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/15/doctors-want-to-treat-coronavirus-with-blood-from-recovered-patients/

In reply to #188

04/03/2020 3:07 PM

I heard on the radio that California’s infected and death rate is way down. And that locked down California was only 2 days after New York. It didn’t really make sense. California should be higher.

there was some speculation that California may have had the virus before and it was unknown, and they had already went through it and didn’t know it, and built up some immunity to it...

It’ll be interesting... as thing start to unfold if that’s true or not...

In reply to #196

04/03/2020 6:42 PM

Victor David Hanson with the Hoover Inst. has an article that discusses this subject @ https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-california-herd-immunity/ in which he discusses how California had a seemingly early outbreak of the flu in Oct-Dec of 2019 and because of so many direct flights between China and San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Jose that the state may have been infected earlier and people have developed the "herd immunity" being discussed.

Guru

In reply to #202

04/04/2020 9:54 AM

Thanks,... I’ll have to read that

on one of the posts or threads. There was a question that was brought out for testing people that had CORVID-19 and recovered, I mentioned in a tongue in cheek, for finding patient zero.

but the antibodies may already exists

In reply to #202

04/08/2020 5:41 AM

You guys may be right about this. Late last year, we had a lot of people catch a pretty nasty flu. This was up and down the state. People getting sick for weeks on end. My better half was sick for many weeks too. And I caught a quick flu from her - mine lasted a day and I think I didn't get hit hard, because I did Vitamin C saturation as soon as I felt it coming on. Though for about a month, I had an irritated throat - way in the back.

So, maybe we did have CV already. It would be interesting to get a test to see if I have the antibody.

In reply to #255

04/08/2020 11:07 AM

There’s only so much vitamin c that the body can absorb they rest passes through.

In reply to #257

04/10/2020 1:32 AM

Yes. The idea is to saturate with vitamin C. Not 1000 mg, but with a heaping teaspoon of 100% vitamin C. I buy bags of the stuff and keep it in the cupboard - for when either of us starts to feel sick.

They say you're suppose to find your body's threshold for saturation. Take 1000 mg per hour and see if you have messy #2. When you do, you're body has reached vitamin C saturation. All fine and dandy, but that's when your body is healthy and doesn't need the extra vitamin C. When your body if fighting off something, you need extra vitamin C. So, I do the heaping teaspoon, which has always been enough. My plan is, if I don't have messy #2, then I take more until I do.

It's not perfect, but I believe it helps a lot. And worst case scenario, it doesn't help at all, but I feel better - like I'm doing something.

In reply to #188

04/08/2020 5:34 AM

I heard this yesterday. Exciting news!

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Autobroker (85); Brave Sir Robin (2); dhayanandhan.s (1); dkwarner (51); Dr. Harry (1); gutmonarch (4); HiTekRedNek (35); horace40 (1); JE in Chicago (16); jhowdy (1); jonahembry (1); Jpfalt (5); Just an Engineer (2); lyn (2); neilinboise (1); phoenix911 (34); R_i_c_h (8); Randall (11); rashavarek (12); Rixter (1); roy hammy (2); Sapling (7); SolarEagle (132); sqyuma (3); StandardsGuy (7); TheBlackCherokee (7); TommeyReed (6); Zayn (3)

Previous in Forum: Aquaponics   Next in Forum: Disinfection Protocol for Coronavirus

Advertisement