Previous in Forum: Radial Vibration   Next in Forum: Oscilloscope to Test Car Engines?
Close
Close
Close
6 comments

Lvdt Connector Looseness?

04/23/2020 1:29 PM

A moog control actuator suddenly closed. Attached is male connector of LVDT. Are there sign of looseness or sparking between male and female connector in the attached picture?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 32

Re: Lvdt connector looseness?

04/23/2020 2:11 PM

From this picture it's hard to tell but there does appear to be some dark discoloration at the base of one of the pins.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 417
In reply to #1

04/23/2020 4:53 PM

But it could be jelled oil of the type seen on the exterior of the actuator as well. That connector is of the MIL-C-5015 type and is very tolerant of looseness. Those threaded collars that secure the plug to the receptacle tend to be vibration resistant and usually a real pain in the butt to mate and de-mate because of the number of turns you have to make with the threaded collar.

Those connectors have long engagement pins and sockets so the cable plug would have to be literally falling off the receptacle before you lose electrical contact.

Also, LVDT's are low power, low voltage devices and would be very unlikely to result in arcing even if the plug was falling off the receptacle.

There's a reason the military uses this style connector. It's been around 'forever' and will continue to be popular well into the future.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1036

04/23/2020 5:58 PM

I don't see any evidence of arcing. It's a pretty rugged connector if it's screwed together.

If the LVDT is the cause of the problem, I would think it more likely to be due to an intermittent connection (broken wire) within the female connector. You might try flexing the wire to see if the problem repeats.

Just a guess.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 58

04/23/2020 10:40 PM

Depending on the pin and socket plating it could be good old corrosion or oxidisation.

Silver plating will turn black and cause a higher resistance connection especially in the presence of sulphides or nitrides.

For LVDT we always used gold contacts not silver for the small voltage changes need to be correctly transferred to the control system.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 417
In reply to #4

04/24/2020 2:20 PM

Looks like gold to me.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

04/24/2020 5:47 AM

Looking just at the threads on the connector. They are too "dirty" to have been "tight". Whatever is coating the connector is getting inside. Same with the pins. I'd clean both male and female connector with brake cleaner first. You didn't show the male side so I'm guessing that the seal is getting "old" and leaking. It's just as easy to take it apart to make sure everything inside is clean and all the wires are landed.

I've found lots of wires just barely touching in these. You can take off the female side and should be able to pull it out far enough to check the wire on it if necessary.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (2); Gmar (1); not so smart (1); Rixter (1); Stef (1)

Previous in Forum: Radial Vibration   Next in Forum: Oscilloscope to Test Car Engines?

Advertisement