Previous in Forum: Lvdt Connector Looseness?   Next in Forum: Does Equipment Exist to Measure X,Y,Z Coordinates For Objects Relative To a Single Fixed Point
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Oscilloscope to Test Car Engines?

05/16/2020 9:21 AM

Someone recommended it to me, the oscilloscope testing equipment on this website (https://www.instrumentsmeter.com/category-1204/). Because there are so many types, I do n’t know how to choose. Can someone help me?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: oscilloscope
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

Re: I am looking for an oscilloscope that can test car engines.

05/16/2020 10:28 AM

With newer engines almost everything is software controlled. An OBD2 scanner is a good investment.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 63

05/16/2020 12:04 PM

If you don't know which model oscilloscope to pick, how can you possibly setup an oscilloscope can then interpret the waveforms displayed? And for what purose? CAN logic? coil triggering? MAP sensor output?

If you can interpret CAN logic waveforms (without a logic analyzer), you've got the skill set where you don't need a forum's help to pick an oscilloscope.

This is trolling question planted by the web site to encourage traffic.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

05/16/2020 2:01 PM

<...I am looking for an oscilloscope that can test car engines...>

Not true on two counts:

1. That's not what an <...oscilloscope...> does. All it does is present information that can be used for part of a test.
  2. That's not what is happening by posting here. What is happening is that the original poster is inviting others to do that instead of doing the legwork. That suggests laziness.

<..,Can someone help...?...>

Yes: a qualified local Vehicle Mechanic can do that. This is an Engineering forum, though, so it might be better or quicker to go and find someone like that somewhere else.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936

05/16/2020 3:49 PM

The real question is what do you wish to read on a car engine with an oscilloscope and what kind of car engine is it? If you wish to read the voltage across the points of a 50's era car engine to get an idea what the HV ignition coil should be doing then the simplest oscilloscope will likely do. If instead you want to read the serial communication going into and out of the on board computer of a modern car engine then an oscilloscope may not be enough.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 58

05/17/2020 1:00 AM

Looks more like clickbait than a question.

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 57

05/17/2020 3:25 AM

Get an OBDC, on board diagnostic, reader, forget the CRO you will likely Ark it!

Good Answers: 287

Re: Oscilloscope to Test Car Engines?

05/17/2020 11:09 AM

Picoscope design scopes specifically for autos.

Good Answers: 10

Re: Oscilloscope to Test Car Engines?

05/18/2020 3:59 PM

On a modern car, an oscilloscope is used to check small signals, much like troubleshooting an audio amplifier. I've used an HP 60MHz 2 channel scope to look at the trigger signals sent to the coil packs. You can then deduce if it is in fact the ECM, the coil pack, or the son in-law's lack of attention to detail when plugging said trigger wires into the coils in the right sequence.

I've seen the pico scope set up and I would get one if I didn't already have two retired scopes from electronics labs. You can get these cheap, $25-$50 will get an older unit.

The OBDII unit I use: iCarSoft Pro

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Carl_E (1); MikeMack747 (1); PWSlack (1); Randall (1); redfred (1); Rixter (1); Stef (1); The Prof (1)

Previous in Forum: Lvdt Connector Looseness?   Next in Forum: Does Equipment Exist to Measure X,Y,Z Coordinates For Objects Relative To a Single Fixed Point

Advertisement