Previous in Forum: Power Quality Meter CT 180 Degree Phase Shift   Next in Forum: Electric Shock
Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

IGBT

12/04/2020 3:00 PM

I am working on a project which has both ac and dc input. The IGBT are acting as power switches. What does the "bipolar" mean in IGBT? Does it refer to non-polarizing? What does back - to -back IGBTs symbol look like for a schematic?

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

Re: IGBT

12/04/2020 3:16 PM

Silicon semiconductor materials are doped with other elements. These elements have either 5 electrons in the outer shell (n type) or 3 electrons in the outer shell (p type), whereas silicon has 4 electrons in its outer shell. The n type elements furnish extra electrons to the silicon lattice and the p type create vacancies. Either extra electrons or vacancies contribute to conduction.

Bipolar semiconductor devices utilize both p type and n type semiconductors.

Power-User

Good Answers: 4

12/04/2020 4:19 PM

"bipolar" refers to the transistor type. There are several. An IGBT is a special type of transistor. It's a bipolar transistor with an insulated gate. Transistors can be simple and easy to work with a few rules, but the study of such can be most trying. The data sheet is your guide. It has testing and application circuits for study. And a lot of parameters are graphed for you.

Anonymous Poster #1

12/04/2020 4:21 PM

Is there any good example showing how the IGBT is used for AC circuit switching. I read this has to be back to back IGBTs. Is there a built in back to back IGBT by manufacturers (part #?). Is the same back to back IGBT could be used to switch a DC circuit?

Guru

In reply to #3

12/04/2020 5:15 PM

The IGBT only switches DC. If you want to use it to switch AC, you have to use diodes to steer the current in one direction through the IGBT. Here are two examples of how it is done:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/121964/bidirectional-ac-switch-with-igbts

Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #5

12/04/2020 5:55 PM

could this configuration be used for DC as well? or this is only for AC circuit

thanks,

Guru

In reply to #6

12/04/2020 7:25 PM

could this configuration be used for DC as well? or this is only for AC circuit

Yes, these circuits are "full-wave", so they would work for AC or DC of either polarity.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #5

01/18/2021 11:29 AM

As specified on your reply, In the below IGBT back to back circuit I want to switch AC or DC circuits using the PWM of Arduino Uno, with gate driver. can I jumper the two gates to use one Arduino output and one gate driver to pulse the gates in one shot. or the pulses has to alternate in this circuit.

Guru

In reply to #3

12/04/2020 7:54 PM

I read this has to be back to back IGBTs. Is there a built in back to back IGBT by manufacturers (part #?).

Mouser has about anything:

https://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Transistors/IGBT-Modules/_/N-ax1sd?P=1z0xz4p

Look at the datasheet to see how it is internally wired.

Power-User

Good Answers: 4

12/04/2020 4:45 PM

It depends on exactly what you are trying to do. Try "ac switching using igbt circuits" on google. Anything over 50 volts is dangerous for the in-experienced and un-knowledgeable.
Some applications can use simple rules of thumb.......others require gate tuning or precision timing. Some require a controlling feedback. Thousands of possibilities.
I mostly search out and look up proven circuits, steal them and then modify if necessary. The object of my education was not design, it was trouble shooting and integrating previous design.

Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 79

12/05/2020 11:01 AM

You can buy solid state relays for DC and AC at most electronic or control components distributors.

They come complete with insulation for currents ranging from a 100mA to 30-60A. All you need to drive them is a few volt signal to their LED terminals which is isolated from the power side.

Very convenient.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #9

12/07/2020 1:06 PM

I checked Omron solid state relays, but the ratings are in milliAmps. I need a contact rating at least 10A. do you have any part number

Guru
Canada - Member - Specialized in power electronics

Good Answers: 79
In reply to #10

12/07/2020 10:06 PM

Crydom, Crouzet...

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #9

01/18/2021 11:51 AM

do you recommend any manufactured? specially if you have specific part number to handle 30A load with the gate drive of 5VDC.

thanks

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #9

02/21/2021 10:12 PM

do you have a part#, please post a link

Reply to Forum Thread 14 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (6); Haymaker (2); marcot (2); Rixter (4)

Previous in Forum: Power Quality Meter CT 180 Degree Phase Shift   Next in Forum: Electric Shock

Advertisement