Previous in Forum: What Passive Mechanism is Used in Ergonomic Exoskeletons?   Next in Forum: Possible Dark Matter Alternative
Close
Close
Close
59 comments
Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51

VR Headset to Replace Eyeglasses

12/19/2020 10:35 PM

I wear very thick glasses (-7.5) and developed presbyopia starting at age 35 (I'm 59 now). A few years ago, I got another pair of glasses that I use for computer work (don't like bifocals and progressives are too expensive for me). It's gotten more difficult these days because my eyes seem to be changing constantly, some days I can hardly read the screen and some days, it's fine. I needed something that I could adjust as needed.

I saw an advert on FB about Dial Vision, an adjustable pair of eyeglass but the reviews aren't very good.

One day I was taking a picture with my phone and marveled that the thing could focus near and far objects fairly clearly. Then, I saw an ad for a VR headset and both of them just clicked.

Could I use a VR headset in combination with a phone and use it like a self-adjusting eyeglass? I'd be using it only for computer work so I won't be walking around with a VR headset while shopping or taking the bus.

What do you guys think? (",)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1750

Re: VR Headset to Replace Eyeglasses

12/19/2020 10:47 PM

The screen would be in focus, but your eyes still not....the lenses in your glasses amend the focal length to match the distortion of your eye, thus bringing the object into focus...the phone sees clearly but your eyes still distort the image....

You might try using night light setting on your computer screen, I've found that helps....and blue blocker glasses...If you're using windows click on the little square at the lower right hand of the task bar next to the time and date and look for the "night light" setting....and facial exercises sometimes helps as well....

In reply to #1

12/19/2020 11:29 PM
Guru

In reply to #2

12/20/2020 12:00 AM

This company makes corrective lenses and blue blocker for insert in VR headsets...

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

If you have a vr headset, here is a video I made showcasing some rough opals from my collection...

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

In reply to #3

12/20/2020 6:18 AM

That works! I folded a piece of paper and used it to separate the vision from each eye and watched your video without my glasses. It was clear and I had no problems focusing.

Thanks a lot!

My next problem is finding a VR app that uses the camera instead of just showing a video. I found one on the Play Store but it shows adverts on the screen, which I think would be irritating. However, for testing purposes, I think it would work.

GA for you! (",)

Good Answers: 144
In reply to #3

12/20/2020 9:30 AM

You're holding out!

Somebody just ordered an heirloom quality opal for someone in a nice setting. It should be arriving somewhere soon?

Seriously though, You have quite a collection. Liked and subscribed

In reply to #8

12/20/2020 11:58 AM

Thanks, yes the good ones are hard to find...I think opals are some of the most beautiful gemstones out there...post a video of the one you got if you can...

In reply to #12

12/21/2020 7:14 AM

Agreed! They have major depth and beauty in a tiny package. I'll do something.

In reply to #12

12/21/2020 7:38 AM

I found about these over the summer, but have not brought a portable black light (UV) to the beach at night to check.. I know I'm a long way from the shores of superior, but why not? We have great rock of infinite variety.

I'm going to pick up a light for a buddy that heads up there to canoe / kayak camp a couple time a year.

I'll send some your way If successful.

aaand.. The opal at the end!

In reply to #29

12/22/2020 2:59 PM

Yes black opals are really beautiful, that one is a stunner...but also ridiculously expensive...I have an Australian opal stashed away that I got a good deal on, pretty good size about an inch long ...

In reply to #1

12/20/2020 6:07 AM

"The screen would be in focus, but your eyes still not"

Actually, if I remove my glasses and look at the phone's screen, it's very clear. That's why I was thinking of this technique of getting clear vision. I'm near-sighted. (",)

In reply to #4

12/20/2020 7:20 AM

I thought presbyopia caused farsightedness, perhaps your eyes are changing, that happens over time....anyway I'm glad it worked out...

In reply to #6

12/20/2020 7:14 PM

In a way, yes, presbyopia causes farsightedness. The doc who explained it said that the eye's lens automatically adjusts so that objects are in focus. When presbyopia sets in, that focusing ability degrades (until it doesn't anymore). The lens basically hardens.

Eyeglasses fixed my distance vision but my lenses actually helped keep my near vision clear. When the lenses started to harden, that focusing ability slowly degraded and my near vision went south as well. My distance vision actually worsened as well. So, no, presbyopia doesn't cause farsightedness but the effect to near vision makes it seem so. (",)

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1049
In reply to #4

12/20/2020 8:14 AM

If your problem is the inability to focus at different distances, a problem most of us have as we age and the lens becomes inflexible, corrective lenses to focus on the constant distance to the screen inside the VR goggles should work.

Making it look stylish might be a harder problem...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

12/20/2020 9:33 AM

Might have to go with the glasses as a remote viewer setup...

..." The V1 is not simply a pretty face: it contains a 2,400 by 1,200 resolution display with a 105-degree field of view, and Dlodlo's engineers explain that they have developed an algorithm designed to work in the background to counteract visual latency and distortion when wearing the glasses.

However, although the Dlodlo V1 does look much closer to a pair of consumer sunglasses than the majority of VR headsets, sadly the new V1 does not have its svelte profile because of advances in display, processor and graphics technology: the device does not contain the necessary control module to power the displays, nor the necessary cage to mount a smartphone or phablet to drive the electronics. Instead, this is a tethered VR headset, which must be connected to either a computer or a dedicated control module. Dlodlo's Chief Executive Officer, Li Gang, stated that the company are "committed to getting more people to enjoy the ultimate virtual reality experience any time at anywhere," which presumably means that the V1 control module is relatively small and discrete. He continue to explain that the company is intent on building a complete VR ecosystem called Dlodlo World, where the business has integrated the platform, hardware, software, application and community."...

4 cameras, 2 in the front and 2 in the back, so you could have 360° vision...

In reply to #9

12/20/2020 9:47 AM

This seems to have an adjustment for diopter...

https://www.vopmart.com/huawei-vr-glass.html

Good Answers: 30
In reply to #1

01/09/2021 11:15 AM

The labelling of your top two panels is the wrong way round. It is relaxation of the ciliary muscle which allows the lens to flatten, in order to focus on distant objects.

The internal optics of the VR headset are designed to allow viewing of the screen as if it were a distant object. Short-sighted persons will still need to wear corrective spectacles inside the headset, but as the image is at a single distance a single focus lens should be entirely adequate.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #57

01/09/2021 1:52 PM

Yes quite so....nice catch...

12/20/2020 10:20 AM

Ahaaa! found it....but a, not quite ready for prime time yet....

..."Researchers at Stanford University have created glasses that track your eyes and automatically focus on whatever you're looking at. ... Their glasses take a cue from how eye lenses work; the autofocal lenses are filled with fluid that expand and contract as your field of vision shifts."...Jul 2, 2019

..."The authors note that, over time, our ability to refocus at near distances worsens as the lenses in our eyes stiffen. The condition, called presbyopia, typically kicks in at around age 45 and it affects more than a billion people. It's a key factor as to why many of us need to start wearing reading glasses, progressive lenses or monovision glasses in middle age.

But those types of lenses aren't ideal. For one thing, they might require you to carry out unnatural head movements, such as to crane your neck to look at side mirrors while driving, because progressive lenses might not offer effective enough peripheral focus. The researchers, who said that people who wear those lenses are also at higher risk of injury from falls, suggest their autofocals might prove a better answer."...

Link...

Here's another one...

https://eye-see-mag.com/en/high-tech/autofocus-eyewear-by-laclaree/

In reply to #11

12/20/2020 7:21 PM

Yeah!

This is exactly what I want to achieve with this idea. Instead of that contraption (which might me feel like I am Borg ) I'd have something that makes me look like I'm just playing or watching something when, in fact, I'm working.
Yes, having a VR headset on me while going about my daily things will look unusual but, hey, if it makes me function, I'll take it. (",)

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 113

12/20/2020 10:34 PM

Note: I did not read all the entries in this topic, so I apologize if anything I write is a repeat.

I am nearsighted in one eye and farsighted in the other, as well as astigmatism in both. I had laser surgery in 1999 to correct nearsightedness but one eye has since reverted for some unknown reason.

That said, when I use a computer there's a very narrow sweet spot distance from the monitor that is comfortable for me to read without reading glasses.

I own a Rift S VR headset and I often use one of many desktop apps offered for the Rift S. It's amazing to me that my above description of my reading discomfort does not apply when using the Rift. I don't pretend to know the technical reasons why that may be but I quite enjoy it except for the fact that the headset gets annoyingly heavy after a while and I go back to the flat screen (ugh).

YMMV, Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

12/21/2020 1:57 AM

Laser surgery only lasts 5 years I'm told. After that, you'll need to go through it again. I haven't gone for laser yet (maybe never but never say never, as they say) so glasses are my only choice.

Darn, I already ordered a VR headset (not the Oculus Rift S, unfortunately). What software are you talking about? It might work for other brands. Can you provide a link or a name?

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

In reply to #19

12/21/2020 8:15 AM

My laser surgery served me well for over 15 years before I noticed any degradation and then that was only one eye. The other eye is still as great as it was right after surgery. And I didn't have the surgery until shortly before my 50th birthday. At 72 I have noticed the requisite slowness in refocusing sometimes but I still do all of my outdoor activities, including driving, without corrective lenses. And that carries over into the VR world. I think the brain is fooled into thinking you're in a far view situation like being outside. But of course I have no data to back that up.

As far as desktop software in the Rift environment I mostly use the one included in the Rift app. I have tried several others as they are mostly free, but the included desktop app suits my purposes.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

12/20/2020 10:55 PM

2 round screens...

autofocus miniature camera...

12/21/2020 12:56 AM

In reply to #17

12/21/2020 2:00 AM

Saved to Watch Later (",)

Thanks!

12/21/2020 1:10 AM

12/21/2020 2:47 AM

12/21/2020 3:53 AM

12/21/2020 4:48 AM

I think it would be a lot simpler and more effective to go for progressive lenses, possibly cheaper as well. There is such a thing as overtechnologicity.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

12/21/2020 7:07 AM

I think this would work with an Oculus Quest 2 set of VR glasses and this virtual desktop app for around $300.....My last prescription cost $750...

Oculus Quest 2

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

In reply to #24

12/21/2020 7:40 AM

Uh ho, problem, you need a facebook account to use the oculus...maybe some more research needed....I don't trust any company that demands your personal information...

In reply to #30

12/21/2020 8:07 AM

Fortunately I've been a Rift and Rift S user since before the Facebook login in requirement. So far we've not been required to use a facebook account to use these HMD's, though we have been given the option. I've avoided any thoughts of logging in with Facebook for obvious reasons.

I don't know if new users of the Rift S are required to have a Facebook account but in any case I would avoid the Quest's as they don't have the performance capabilities of the S. I use my S for some high end app's like X-Plane. The Quest line, even with the Link cable, cannot handle that app.

Lastly I've had several apps for the S abandoned by the developer in favor of the Quest's which apparently has a larger appeal to the mass marker who prefer the cable-less environment.

One must do a lot of research into these things before investing hard earned money. My next VR upgrade probably won't be an Oculus product due to the Facebook requirement and shenanigans.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

12/21/2020 8:51 AM

Can you use your Rifts with virtual desktop? and does it work well for correcting vision?

In reply to #37

12/21/2020 10:01 AM

The virtual desktop is an app that is run in the virtual Rift home environment. There's a dashboard that hangs in the air in the home room you have (which, by the way, you can decorate much like a home). On the dashboard are a number of windows and buttons you can select to run apps or control your environment.

One of those buttons runs a "virtual desktop" app. When you select it you are presented with an option to display which monitor, assuming you have a multiple monitor setup, you wish to display. That display is like a big curved monitor hanging in space in your virtual room. You can also bring up multiple monitors and even any running applications like an email client or web browser in a pane separate from the monitor pane. And bring up a virtual full sized keyboard on demand.

All these panes can be approached (or not) as you wish. Even walk around or behind so your positioning is much like a desktop at home except there is no desk. The Touch controller operates much like a mouse on these panes.

I haven't explored all the options and some of the other virtual desktops have much more flexible features that I don't need. The only thing I don't have yet is full finger control over something like a keyboard. Right now it's pretty much point and click with a Touch controller to type. I do understand, though, that they are working on full finger hand recognition which is becoming available on Quest and, hopefully, soon for Rift. It will be a wondrous day when I can control the virtual desktop and even type with my actual fingers.

Forgot to mention. I, personally, have no need for corrective lenses in the Rift environment. The nearsightedness in my left eye is not a factor, nor my astigmatism.

Hooker

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

12/21/2020 8:48 AM

It sounds as if it would be cheaper to fly to the UK to have your glasses prescribed.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

12/21/2020 9:06 AM

Nope, the VR headset costs Php1,250 ($26) while the progressive glasses will set me back Php15,000 ($312). It's VERY much cheaper.

I'm not doing this because I like overkill. It's really a cheaper, and possibly better, alternative because my phone can autofocus while progressives can't do that. (",)

In reply to #38

12/21/2020 9:33 AM

I just make the screen bigger pressing Ctrl and +

In reply to #40

12/21/2020 6:46 PM

Yeah, I do that too sometimes. But when I need to see something that's in another part of the screen (like two tiled windows), it's too much of a bother to scroll especially if you do it constantly.

12/21/2020 7:08 AM

Ahhhemm..

Although it can't be reversed, it is easy to correct. The simplest way is to wear reading glasses. Laser treatment and surgery have hardly any advantages, but are associated with a lot of risks. Presbyopia usually becomes noticeable in your mid-forties, and at first is often only a problem when reading.Jun 4, 2020

-informedhealth.org

I think a visit to the reading glasses rack at the local marketplace is in order.

Thin plastic lenses with 1.75X magnification works great for me, I know others with the same condition and 2X and greater is quite common.

I buy them by the handful at the dollar store and hang up new pairs in the pantry, shop etc.

I have some better pairs that I rarely use and those were still no more than $10 each.

5 star rated -

they also have tinted for sunny days

In reply to #25

12/21/2020 7:19 AM

Those might work if both eyes are the same, generally one eye is weaker than the other...and no help for distance clarity....

In reply to #27

12/21/2020 7:34 AM

the lenses pop in an out easily and securely. so you can mix them up and make custom pairs.

I forgot to mention that.

I keep a couple pairs of 2X plus for when I need super vision for macro work.

In reply to #28

12/21/2020 7:50 AM

Do they have concave as well as convex lenses....?

In reply to #31

12/21/2020 7:57 AM

...as well as the occasional Fresnel lens over by the craft supplies.

In reply to #32

12/21/2020 8:00 AM

In reply to #25

12/21/2020 9:14 AM

My reading glasses are -6.00. There are cheap plastic glasses here but none at the grade that I need. I can't use them.

My presbyopia started to be noticeable when I was around 35. My optician was shocked when I told her. "You're too young to have that," was what she said.

I really need to see an optometrist or ophthalmologist but I can't afford it just yet. (".)

12/21/2020 10:59 AM

There is a low-tech solution. Depth of focus on a camera lens increases as the lens is stopped down. If you look through a pinhole, the same will be true for your eyes. The downside is that the brightness is decreased so it works best in brightly lit areas such as outside on a sunny day.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/eyeglasses/pinhole-glasses/

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

12/21/2020 12:06 PM

Larger pinhole glasses....

In reply to #42

12/21/2020 6:48 PM

I tried that. It's not really good for reading because I find myself twisting or turning my head to get one of those holes to line up with the particular text I want to see.

In reply to #45

12/21/2020 8:52 PM

Make a single small hole in a piece of cardboard. Put it as close to your eye as possible. (Cover the other eye.) The smaller the hole, the closer your eye approaches an ideal pinhole camera, which has an infinite depth of field.

Maybe not practical, but interesting to experiment with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhole_camera

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

12/23/2020 5:13 AM

Maybe you could get the pin hole to move with the eyes...? Eye tracking pinhole...seems like this would encourage tunnel vision though....very annoying I have heard....

In reply to #48

12/23/2020 8:29 AM
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #49

12/23/2020 9:28 AM

1.66 mm hole size at eyeball surface, what would that equal at 1" ? about 3 - 4 mm?

I don't see any reviews....I would be afraid of losing my peripheral vision...I wonder what the field of vision is?....20° maybe....interesting though that these are available....

In reply to #50

12/23/2020 11:19 AM

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/eyescal.html

Here's a stab at it using geometric optics:

Theta = 2*atan(1.66/2*2.794) = 27.46 degrees

1.66 mm hole size at eyeball surface, what would that equal at 1" ?

Measured from the lens, at 1":

(1.66/2.794) * 25.4 = 15.1 mm

Measured from the eyeball:

(1.66/2.794)*(25.4+2.794)=16.75 mm

You can't get any closer to the lens plane...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #51

12/24/2020 1:08 PM

It seems more probable that the EM field of the pinhole material is responsible for producing a lens effect, so that a larger hole would not work...1.66mm might be the limit for a naturally occurring field, it does beg the question could the field be enhanced and what would be the practical limit...perhaps a grating of super thin sheets, though that might create a a repeat of the image for each opening...The lowering of the light intensity certainly plays a roll by relaxing the pupil...Electric field lensing eyeglasses?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_lens

In reply to #50

12/27/2020 8:44 PM

I experienced tunnel vision once. This pinhole contact lens will probably have a similar, if not the same, effect. I'd have to test it out before purchasing, assuming I can afford it. (",)

12/27/2020 7:56 AM

01/09/2021 6:57 AM

OK this seems to be what we are looking for....

In reply to #55

01/09/2021 8:19 AM

Thanks for that vid.

Looks like an awesome app and something I would jump on to enhance my VR system (especially since the price is right - FREE) if I could.

Unfortunately, for Oculus users, the app is currently only available for Quest. I have a Rift S so I'm left out in the cold. The faq on the developer's website does say they are working on adding other VR hardware so I have hope. I just hope Rift S doesn't come behind other headsets.

Register to Reply
Guru

01/10/2021 4:34 PM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Hooker (5); JE in Chicago (6); phph001 (3); Rixter (5); SolarEagle (29); Vulcan (11)

Previous in Forum: What Passive Mechanism is Used in Ergonomic Exoskeletons?   Next in Forum: Possible Dark Matter Alternative

Advertisement