Previous in Forum: Vishay Opto Isolator Model 4N35   Next in Forum: Arduino Mega 2560 Pinout Diagram
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

Power Cable for Signal

03/02/2021 4:32 PM

Hello all, Currently some of our field instruments signal's are done wirelessly. Over the years we seem to have various instances when the signal drops out. There are power cables in place from the instruments to our power rooms.

Is it possible to use these power cables to carry the instrument signal as well. I have seen these in domestic installation , not sure if they are available for industrial purposes.

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

Re: Power cable for signal

03/02/2021 4:51 PM
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

Re: Power Cable for Signal

03/03/2021 7:03 AM

<...Is it possible...?...>

Yes. Anything is possible.

Good Answers: 26

03/03/2021 9:23 AM

I would be surprised if Carrier Current Transmission is not available for your purpose. The technology has been around for decades. I think it was originally used by electrical utilities to remotely turn domestic hot water tanks on and off - to shed loads during peak usage times. Then a group of Scottish engineers patented devices for in-home use - the signal remained local - it could not cross over the street transformer. It was marketed under the X-10 brand, but was not well known, even in the electrical trade. Thirty years ago, electricians were still digging trenches out to garages to install a switch line - when an off-the-shelf X-10 switch/transmitter installed in the house, and a matching switch/receiver in the garage would accomplish the task for about $50. total for the two devices, and with no trenching needed - the signal was carried over existing power lines.

When the X-10 patents expired, Leviton starting to manufacture a wide variety of devices - both simple and sophisticated - that utilized carrier current transmission - the beginning of smart home technology. In the 90's I combined some components from Leviton and others for remote phone control of vacation home heating systems. It is commonplace now, but people were amazed at the time. That was thirty years ago. Almost certainly there have been huge advances since then, for both domestic and industrial use, and I would wager that if ye seek, ye shall find.

03/03/2021 11:27 AM

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #4

03/03/2021 11:50 AM

Beside my panel there is still an old utilities remote control for my hot water tank. I actually had to bypass it a couple of months ago because it became stuck in the off position. I should check about the rebate you mention. Apparently they operate at a much higher frequency than local area network devices such as X-10, Leviton, and others - this enables the signal to drive through the street transformers. A Leviton device, for example, can control devices in other buildings, provided all buildings are fed from the same transformer. All devices have a programmable letter/number code to avoid unwanted operation of any similar devices in a neighbour's house fed from the same street transformer.

In reply to #5

03/03/2021 1:40 PM
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

canadianslidewinder (2); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (3)

Previous in Forum: Vishay Opto Isolator Model 4N35   Next in Forum: Arduino Mega 2560 Pinout Diagram

Advertisement