Previous in Forum: Auxiliary Consumption and Limits   Next in Forum: Electrostatic Charges in Pneumatic Flour
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 10

VFD Amps Line and Load Side

03/16/2021 2:51 AM

I have noticed that we have CT's on the line side of some of our VFD's, When the motor is set to 25Hz the line side amps is half the motor amps, I did say to operations team that these amps are wrong and does not indicate the actual motor amps. They are not convinced.

Is there a simple explanation that I can use to back myself ?

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

Re: VFD amps line and load side

03/16/2021 3:45 AM

Yes, of course. Power factor. Motors are inductive loads.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

Re: VFD amps line and load side

03/16/2021 4:10 AM

The <...operations team ...> is correct.

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

Re: VFD Amps Line and Load Side

03/16/2021 9:24 AM

The power input to the VFD is approximately the same as the power output. Vinput x Iinput = Voutput x Ioutput.

The motor is an inductive load, so the current is proportional to frequency. To limit motor current, the VFD output voltage is proportional to frequency up to 60 hz.

https://controltrends.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/VFFundamentals.pdf

Since the output voltage of the VFD is lower than the input voltage, the output current will be higher than the input current. VFD power out = VFD power in.

http://www.vfds.org/vfd-current-input-side-vs-output-side-911332.html

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #3

03/16/2021 5:58 PM

Thank you

Login to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 12

03/17/2021 2:06 AM

The VFD converts the line-side voltage to DC which it then turns into a pulse-width modulated signal to simulate the 3-phase AC voltage to the motor. The inductance of the motor and any inductors between the motor and drive give you an AC current waveform at the frequency of the speed the drive is running at. The conversion to DC is the reason you can wire the line-side of the VFD on single-phase and then run a 3-phase motor; with the appropriate derating, of course.

Login to Reply
Login to Reply 5 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

eltech (1); PWSlack (2); R_i_c_h (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Auxiliary Consumption and Limits   Next in Forum: Electrostatic Charges in Pneumatic Flour

Advertisement