Previous in Forum: It Has to be a Conspiracy if it Involves Bill Gates, Right?   Next in Forum: NASA Study Finds Increasing Solar Trend That Can Change Climate
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 1

Level 1 Charging Pedestal

06/05/2021 12:38 PM

I am part of a committee planning the implementation of EV charging systems at our HOA condo complex. We expect to include level 1, level 2 and fast chargers. However, this question relates only to level 1 charging systems (i.e. power only, to vehicles’ on-board chargers).

We envision a series of pedestals, each serving three adjacent parking spots. Each of the three individual 120V receptacles on the pedestal would have its own dedicated card-reader, or (preferably) a contactless payment device to interface with the user’s billing account.

My Google searches to date have been dead-ends. Any suggestions would be welcomed regarding which manufacturers currently offer such a product or would be capable of configuring said pedestal from existing components.

p.s. Yes, we will hire qualified consultants to ensure that all is to code, etc.

Login to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: EV Charger Level 1
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Guru

Good Answers: 133

Re: Level 1 Charging Pedestal

06/05/2021 2:30 PM

I would think that the customer service department at the headquarters of the electric car manufacturers would have a list of contacts. The success of their business is dependent upon the success of people like you.

The first person that answers the phone probably will not be able to help you but if you have a well rehearsed "I can't believe you invest billions in making the cars but can't help the people that want to make ownership a good experience" then they should transfer your call up the food chain until you get to someone who can help you.

Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #1

06/07/2021 4:02 PM

I also would think the electric utilities would have something on how to make the power charges--credit cards or whatever.

Off-topic this time: Are the electric utilities ready for the additional demand for their energy. Will they need additional generating & distribution capacity?

And again off-topic: I don't like giving Google free advertising, so I am using DuckDuckGo for my search engine.

Good Answers: 1665

06/05/2021 3:02 PM

No point in trying to reinvent the wheel....

https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/apartments-and-condos/

In reply to #2

06/05/2021 4:40 PM

While not meeting my 3 taps per pedestal spec, this link has a wealth of useful information. Of course, I'm aware of ChargePoint, but was focusing on just the hardware and not the whole program. Anyway, thanks for link, much of what they offer will be useful to our committee.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

06/06/2021 2:06 AM

These come in single and double pedestal configurations, so you could put them back to back, resulting in a 3 charger location....they also offer smart card restriction for private group use...

https://semaconnect.com/products/series6/

https://semaconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2018_Series_6_EV_Charging_Station.pdf

You could integrate this system for individual billing...

https://qmeters.com/us/solutions/ev-charging-station-metering/

In reply to #4

06/06/2021 12:20 PM

More helpful links. Thank you for providing them.

Login to Reply
Guru

06/06/2021 2:46 PM

In my opinion you really need to start from the ground up...for a comprehensive plan we would need to know a great deal more information....How many cars, is the parking assigned, any indoor or covered parking, how many....You need to calculate the final power requirement and address that first....level one charging may be ok for plug-in hybrids, but not really adequate for pure EV's...and fast chargers are mostly for visitors who are traveling....so eventually you would want all of your parking to be charging capable, and calculating the power requirements now will make the power upgrade a one time deal, instead of an ongoing struggle...so most of your parking would fall into the level two category, with maybe 3 out of a hundred, superchargers...and maybe 20% level one....The chargers requiring the most power would be located the closest to the source, so the superchargers would be as close to the meters as possible, and the level one chargers the furthest away....

https://www.evmeter.com/where-to-place-ev-charging-stations-in-a-parking-lot/

In reply to #6

06/06/2021 3:01 PM

In reply to #7

06/06/2021 4:28 PM

Hi SE,

We are in the very early stages, and much will depend on the results of a survey to all owners that will go out in the near future. It sounds like you're open to providing further input, so if that's the case, I will additional questions when we know more of what to ask. I have recorded your suggested considerations for the project to be incorporated (where applicable) into our planning. Some answers, for now:

1. Except for possibly a very limited number of HOA-owned vehicles, there are zero assigned parking spots.

2. Zero indoor or covered parking.

3. We have 309 condo units spread over nine 3-story buildings, stretching 3/8-mile from end-to-end.

4. Occupancy varies with seasons from ~20% to ~40%

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

06/06/2021 7:20 PM

What state are you in? We need to check for any government incentives available...

Good Answers: 80

06/07/2021 10:22 AM

Depending on your location the local Utility provider will have everything you need. If not, then you will have to deal directly with a charger company like Charge Point.

Otherwise you can wing it like so many do. This is not rocket science.

First thing to understand is most all electric cars have their chargers on board. Most are capable of common use up to level 2 through the J1772 standard. Its the DC fast charging thats difficult to set up and is auto specific.

Level 1 - Any 15 to 20 amp normal grounded outlet. Yep electric cars have more places to charge than there are gas pumps in the world. LoL Usually around 3 miles per hour on the charger.

Level 2 - Usually needs only a 240 volt 60 amp supply per vehicle. Usually 8 to 12 miles per hour on charger depending on supply limits and car capability.

Anything beyond this and you get into vehicle specific stuff.

My advice to HOA's is install them for free use, the cost to your utility bill is negligable. (good PR advertising too) Our Model 3 charges in the garage from a standard NEMA14/50 plug through the supplied cord. Did not notice the increase. took six months of charging to average it out as 13cents a day. Doubt you will break the HOA bank by providing them for free.

If you need to have a for pay set up then contract with your local utility or a charger provider and let them have all the headaches of site work, pulling permits, constuction, billing, repair, etc.

Good Luck and welcome to the revolution!

In reply to #10

06/07/2021 11:26 AM

Ha ha that's hilarious....but not appropriate...there's no such thing as 'free' electric....

In reply to #12

06/07/2021 12:50 PM

..." a 2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus, rated at 24 kWh/100 miles "...

At the average per kwh cost of $.13 that would be $3.12 per hundred miles, and at an average 10k miles per year that would be $312...now times that by 200 cars = $62,400 dollars per year...add to that the cost of installation maybe $5 to 600,000 dollars plus maintenance costs depreciation and management costs ...

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/the-true-cost-of-powering-an-electric-car.html

Location: Houston the Emerald City that would be Oz, TX serving art collectors and patrons worldwide
Good Answers: 8

06/07/2021 11:06 AM

FYI: Just like MACs and PCs back-in-the-day the various charger/ vehicle combinations don't always play well together. Tesla's don't work with anyone else, some chargers (using interface blackboxes or plugs) will work with with some vehicles not in their specified design scheme with a downgrading of efficacy, and some (again with interfaces) will work just fine with nonspecified vehicles.

Bluntly: there is no universal standardization, however there are multiple-headed chargers available. Whether they cover all the available vehicles, Tesla is the most problematic, I don't know.

06/07/2021 3:17 PM

To SolarEagle,

We're in California and will definitely check into incentives, etc. Also, PG&E can likely provide assistance and advice. And, our Tier1 cost is $.259/KWh.

To rashavarek,

Probably won't provide free power as a perk, but that will be evaluated against costs and manpower to manage payment system(s).

To Stephen Archer,

Had given some thought to applying for a Tesla-funded Supercharger installation, but since all Teslas (AFAIK) can use DC fast chargers, it's probably not worth the hassle.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #14

06/07/2021 3:38 PM

The thing is Tesla uses a propietary connection. All Teslas come with a J1772 adapter standard so they can easily use other chargers. The draw with the Tesla box is it can put out slightly more current because the charger in the car can handle it. So it charges slightly faster. Not faster enough IMO than the 14/50 to justify the 500.00 expense when the 14/50 outlet and included cord works just a well. 8mph vs. 12mph at best.

For Hotels its a sales incentive. We intentionally look for places with Tesla destination chargers. For your installation I would stick with the mainstream charge providers as those will cover more cars and any Teslas can use them as well.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BruceFlorida (1); Lehman57 (1); rashavarek (2); RSquirrel (4); SolarEagle (7); Stephen Archer (1)

Previous in Forum: It Has to be a Conspiracy if it Involves Bill Gates, Right?   Next in Forum: NASA Study Finds Increasing Solar Trend That Can Change Climate

Advertisement