Previous in Forum: Would You Sell a Car You Only Drove 600+ Miles?   Next in Forum: Underground GRE Fire Fighting Ring Joints Failure
Close
Close
Close
53 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1671

NERC Warns Energy Shortfalls Almost Inevitable This Summer

06/14/2021 5:39 PM

"The North American Electric Corp. (NERC) is warning that large swathes of the North American bulk power system (BPS) could face “elevated risks” of energy shortfalls this summer, especially if temperatures surge beyond normal peaks( you mean if it gets hot this Summer? haha). But in California, risks are even more pronounced, owing to its reliance on imports to offset falling solar PV output in the late afternoon.

In its May 26-issued 2021 Summer Reliability Assessment (SRA), the nation’s designated Electric Reliability Organization (ERO) cautions that “above-normal” heat events pose “elevated risks” for energy emergencies in Texas, New England, the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO), and parts of the West. While grid operators in these regions have resources to meet normal peak summer demand, during abnormally hot events, they could see soaring demand from temperature-dependent loads, such as air-conditioning and refrigeration, or a reduction to power supplies stemming from “lower-than-capacity resource output or increased outages,” the entity said.

But in California, which suffered rolling outages owing to extreme heatwaves last summer, NERC warns of more pronounced risks of energy emergencies, even during periods of normal peak summer demand. NERC’s risk scenario analysis suggests the area will face “high risk” if above-normal demand is widespread in the West."...

Shutting down power plants left and right and installing unreliable solar and wind as replacement, surprise surprise said nobody....Watch them try to spin this to blame "climate change" ...

https://www.powermag.com/nerc-warns-energy-shortfalls-almost-inevitable-this-summer/?oly_enc_id=1249D9862912F8V

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Re: NERC Warns Energy Shortfalls Almost Inevitable This Summer

06/14/2021 7:16 PM

Spin this...

U.S. energy consumption in April 2020 fell to its lowest level in more than 30 years

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=44556

v

Electricity per capita in the United States, 2013–2019
YearPopulation (Thousands)Per-capita consumption (kWh)

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/electricity-in-the-us-generation-capacity-and-sales.php

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 401
In reply to #1

06/14/2021 7:40 PM

Tanking the economy (COVID) is good for the environment.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

06/14/2021 7:48 PM

Yes and wrecked the economic recovery that would have assured Republican victory in 2020....Both goals of the Democratic party of the elite....2 birds with one stone....

Good Answers: 1659
In reply to #3

06/14/2021 8:25 PM

The ONLY goal of the cult of Putin/Trump that you call a Republican party, and seem to worship, is to stay in complete power and control of all the wealth, no matter how low they go.

If you support a Republican agenda, where is it? All you fools have done is deregulate and tear things down. Or throw paper towels at people like little Hitler did.

Will you be at the "Reinstatement" in August. Did you make it to the Jan. 6th insurrection?

Have fun in trumpland.

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #5

06/14/2021 10:15 PM

Yeah we'll see how you feel when they start shutting your power off in the middle of the summer heat....there's your global warming....no A/C

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 402
In reply to #6

06/14/2021 10:34 PM

Bird man will just blame it on Trump...

Guru

Good Answers: 233
In reply to #6

06/15/2021 11:03 PM

How does shutting off the power relate to Trump or no Trump? Our population continues to grow, I believe at a faster rate than new energy sources, so sooner or later, the energy requested exceeds the supply, and shut-offs are inevitable.

You are way better than I at verifying or debunking the above belief.

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 109
In reply to #10

06/15/2021 11:23 PM

And it doesn't help that we've swelled our population by over 900,000 new illegal inhabitants since the first of the year. And God knows how many more are coming.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #11

06/17/2021 12:04 PM

But don't forget that we are all descendants of immigrants if you go back a few hundred years. Immigrants are good--but maybe not floods of them. People willing to uproot their lives and start over in an unknown place have a lot of the incentive that built America. But I have to acknowledge that our population increase is out of control. Perhaps we need to aim for an average of 2 children per female.

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

In reply to #35

06/17/2021 12:20 PM

I'm all for legal limited and controlled immigration based on merit or extreme danger/oppression.

I'm a second generation American. My grandparents came here legally. I know what they gave up; the oppression and indignities of the Austria-Hungarian empire, not to mention perpetual hunger and illness as a result of being forced to support the lavish lifestyle of out of touch royalty. The root cause of the 1st World War was not a fluke. And I completely understand it.

My concern is unlimited, uncontrolled immigration and the cost to support it. We are not that rich. We should be helping people to fix their problems in their homelands.

Guru

In reply to #36

06/17/2021 2:30 PM

Florida joins Texas and Arizona to control the southern border announcement...

In reply to #37

06/17/2021 2:34 PM

Bravo. States' Rights need to be reasserted. ASAP.

Login to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #38

06/17/2021 2:52 PM

And that my liberal friends, is why we are not a democracy, but a Constitutional Republic.

Guru

In reply to #10

06/16/2021 2:17 AM

The population grows at a predictable rate of around 2 mil a year, there are no surprises here...and no mystery, you can't keep shutting down reliable energy sources and replacing them with unreliable sources, and expect everything to function normally...

""Three-Quarters of New US Generating Capacity in 2020 Will Be Renewable, EIA Says 2020 will be a record year for U.S. renewables construction as 6 gigawatts of coal capacity goes offline, according to new government figures.

JEFF ST. JOHN JANUARY 14, 2020

"The U.S. Energy Information Administration has confirmed what it and industry watchers predicted a year ago — that wind and solar power will expand on their already-large share of new U.S. generation capacity in 2020.

According to EIA data released Tuesday, wind and solar will make up 32 of the 42 gigawatts of new capacity additions expected to start commercial operation in 2020, respectively, dwarfing the 9.3 gigawatts of natural-gas-fired plants to come online this year.

EIA’s numbers also break records for both wind and solar in terms of annual capacity additions. The 18.5 gigawatts of wind power capacity set to come online in 2020 surpasses 2012’s record of 13.2 gigawatts and pushes total U.S. production well past the 100-gigawatt milestone set in the third quarter of 2019. Wood Mackenzie is expecting 15.2 gigawatts of new wind this year, with some projects delayed into 2021 amid a historic wind construction boom.

It's not rocket science, do the math....

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/eia-forecasts-wind-solar-will-break-records-for-new-u-s-generation-in-2020

Guru

In reply to #12

06/16/2021 11:39 AM

"The population grows at a predictable rate of around 2 mil a year"

Right, and that's a major problem. 50 years ago, I thought the world was overpopulated, Now I'm really convinced of it. There is LOTS of room for debate on what population the Earth can support, but there IS a limit. If the human race does not control its own population, then sooner or later, nature will, and that won't be pleasant! I can't help but wonder if Covid-19 is nature at work...

I can't do the math without a starting point... From https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/us-population/

The downward trend of that second graph is wonderful news! I estimate the 202 value to be about 0,7 %

Now regarding energy, again, a starting point is required. From EnergyInformationAdministration:

So the 42 GW of new generating capacity is roughly 0.9 % of the 4,500 GW of 2020 total capacity. Thankfully, I underestimated the new energy source, so I was wrong.

In reply to #18

06/16/2021 11:56 AM

Right, and that's a major problem. 50 years ago, I thought the world was overpopulated, Now I'm really convinced of it.

yes, and things changed,... 50 years ago, the threat was global cooling... and with the that said, the point I’m making is not to panic and do something rash.

Good Answers: 29
In reply to #18

06/16/2021 1:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UHecVNs__I

It seems that nature had nothing at all to with Rona 19.

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #18

06/16/2021 6:46 PM

You seem to be confusing installed capacity with actual utilization....which is around 35%....Installed capacity is what wind and solar are rated at with max output, max output does not equal 24/7 availability like other sources of generation...as you know solar only reaches peak generation when the Sun is directly overhead and the sky is clear, and wind only reaches its capacity when the wind is blowing just right...usually around 35% average of rated capacity...So it's a crap shoot when these sources will be available, and the odds of it being when you need it the most, are not good....deemed unreliable as a base load source by everybody, including those promoting the sales of these eyesores....So you can expect roughly one third of rated capacity output on average, but you never know when that will be...In any case you will still be charged for it....

In reply to #28

06/16/2021 8:18 PM

Very good point! So perhaps I wasn't wrong, thinking there has been inadequate new generation capability. Of course a very large culprit is the unreasonable closing of nuclear plants.

In reply to #29

06/16/2021 8:46 PM

..." U.S. nuclear electricity generation capacity peaked in 2012 at about 102,000 MW when there were 104 operating nuclear reactors. At the end of 2020, there were 94 operating reactors with a combined generation capacity of about 96,555 MW. From 2014 through 2018, annual nuclear generation capacity and electricity generation increased each year even as the number of operating reactors declined. Power plant uprates—modifications to increase capacity—at nuclear power plants have made it possible for the entire operating nuclear reactor fleet to maintain a relatively consistent total electricity generation capacity. These uprates, combined with high-capacity utilization rates (or capacity factors), helped nuclear power plants maintain a consistent share of about 20% of total annual U.S. electricity generation from 1990 through 2019. Some reactors also increased annual electricity generation by shortening the length of time reactors are offline for refueling."....

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/nuclear/us-nuclear-industry.php

In reply to #10

06/16/2021 7:37 AM

How...

first I need to set up some ground work.

Coal power plants shut down because they could by power off the grid that was produced by NG cheaper then coal power plants could produce it.

by shutting down pipelines you basically cut oil production... by cutting oil production, for the most part, you cut its by-products which is NG.

Sure there are wells that produce NG, but not enough to make up for it.

now when NG becomes in short supply, the coal power plants can start up to take some of the load. At least that’s what short sighted people think, usually the politics in charge. But that doesn’t happen, why? Because these short sighted politicians also shut down the coal industry.

how do I know this, the company where I worked at, our by product was charcoal granular dust. Coal generator plants used to by the charcoal from us, until they shut down and instead bought power off the grid produce by NG power plants.

now, to answer your question of Trump or Now Trump. With a question

Question: who made us energy independent with oil and Gas? Answer: Trump did.

Question: who turned it around within days of taking office of being dependent upon other countries.? Answer: Biden (no Trump)

I like to,say it’ll just be a matter of time when we feel the pinch, but I can’t. We’re feeling it now.

In reply to #15

06/16/2021 11:53 AM

"Question: who made us energy independent with oil and Gas? Answer: Trump did."

Right. He did that by reducing limits on pollution of many kinds. That is a very short-sighted solution to a long-term problem,. It would clearly exacerbate whatever effects the human race has on the ability of the Earth to support life as we know it.

In reply to #19

06/16/2021 12:01 PM

Yes, there are trade offs and compromises, as amcounter point like creating ‘green energy’, that has a huge toxic footprint that is being ignored. Solar power is one... but so is wind power.

which both is an even shorter long term problems and more deadly (well actually ‘toxic’ is a more better word. Because dead is dead)

Guru

In reply to #19

06/17/2021 2:27 AM

Trump just halted even more stringent controls that were slated to go into effect, he didn't roll back any legislation that was already in effect...there are many that have had it with these constant demands driving prices up and really having no effect on pollution itself, this movement that started back in the 70's has run its course, now it's just become a burden to business and has a stifling effect on job creation....we can't all be tech workers that really just facilitate online activities and dehumanize life as we know it....What they are attacking is the foundation of society, the life facilitators...

The problems we need help with is online attacks and scams, high prices, biological attacks, affordable healthcare, affordable housing, less government bureaucracy and regulations, and compliance costs...We need to put an end to bipartisanship and political extremism, we need the government to stop telling people how to live their lives and how they should think and act, we need the government to stop brainwashing our children to hate America and its history...We need the Federal government to handle the big things and let state governments handle everything else...We need the press to be held accountable for telling lies, and that includes misleading by omission... corporate sponsors of news organizations should be barred from dictating content....printing the news has never been a get rich quick scheme...

In reply to #31

06/17/2021 6:37 AM

There are people that don’t want that,...

they want to be taken care of...

Have the government tell them what’s best for them...

When there’s trouble, to have the government give them what they need, waiting on their door step with the answer, when they want it...

because that’s the utopia promised to them, and that it’s all free...

free healthcare,...

free high education... so that they can continue making poor decisions on unsustainable degrees...

free money,... so they can continue making poor life’s choices...

yes,... pa Shan Gri La has been found,... I can’t wait.
I’d give a great big *sigh*, but they’re all sold out... so here’s an angry face emoticon...

In reply to #32

06/24/2021 9:13 PM

We have a place for those people....

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

06/14/2021 8:24 PM

One California company turns off their power whenever the wind blows too hard so that a fire won't start (as a result of lawsuits).

I've noticed that the Flatiron hydro-electric power plant in northern Colorado is putting up power poles in 2's and 3's to send their power somewhere. There are several new lines. That station is many decades old, so obviously there is a plan, but I've heard no news about it.

Guru

In reply to #4

06/14/2021 11:40 PM

Evidently they're moving an existing powerline out of the way of a new project...

"CHIMNEY HOLLOW — Sometime in the middle of next year, if Northern Water gets its way, the bulldozers will start piling earth and rock 25 stories high to plug this dry basin southwest of Loveland forever.

Four miles to the south, they’ll build another dam to keep their newly-made bathtub from leaking out the back toward Lyons. Drill crews will bore a massive pipeline through the hogback making up the east edge of the bathtub, in order to feed Carter Lake a few hundred yards to the east.

They’ll move a power line. Help build a surrounding open space park. Upgrade a sewage plant in Fraser. Four years later, they’ll close dam gates reinforced to hold back 29 billion gallons of life-giving water.

Then the hard part begins."....

https://coloradosun.com/2021/03/15/northern-water-plans-for-new-colorado-dams/

In reply to #8

06/15/2021 8:46 AM

The water commission in Southern California is as corrupt as they come... Stewart Resnick which had the Franklin Mint and then used it to buy land and raise almonds... the water commission is in his building and to raise almonds, you need a lot of water.

In reply to #9

06/16/2021 6:11 AM

A water baron in the desert...

..."Growing water-intensive nut tree crops in the Central Valley (a single almond requires 1.1 US gallons [4.2 l] of water[43]) has drawn criticism during California's ongoing drought. According to Forbes Magazine Wonderful Company uses "at least 120 billion gallons [450 million m3] a year, two-thirds on nuts, enough to supply San Francisco's 852,000 residents for a decade."[44] In addition the Resnicks own a majority stake in the Kern Water Bank, "one of California's largest underground water storage facilities. It is capable of storing 500 billion gallons [1.9 billion m3] of water. The acquisition, continuing private ownership, and water sales profit from this taxpayer-developed resource infrastructure while California suffers under drought is controversial.[8][45]"...

In reply to #13

06/16/2021 7:44 AM

I glad you took the effort that bring that up and post that... which even though some will dispute, that we can count on from you,

On top of that, they tried to correct the water shortages in Southern California so they filled aquifers which is in your post, that would supply supposable potable water. Problem is, it’s not really potable. And the supply of water that comes out of the faucet is not only colored, it isn’t potable especially in the outplaying areas of LA.

Now this is the link to a large metropolitan City in Southern California, Los Angelos.

it worse in the rural areas where migrant workers live.

In reply to #9

06/16/2021 6:56 AM

Is there any country that is not corrupt that anyone knows of?

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #14

06/16/2021 10:43 AM

Career politicians is what breeds corruption.

In reply to #17

06/16/2021 12:56 PM

All politicians should come with an expiry date. One shouldn't be a public servant for over 47 years and never had to work a real job. That kind of person would be totally out of touch.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #22

06/16/2021 1:09 PM

Dictators normal do have an expiration date that’s delivered by a high powered rifle.

In reply to #17

06/16/2021 1:03 PM

OH, OK. I really used to believe the bull as a kid, 'Hard work and Honesty makes one a better man'. I seriously wish my parents had taught me to be bad arsed, thieving, murderous and conniving and taken me to a good dentist to have a great smile.

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #23

06/16/2021 1:13 PM

No you don’t wish that.

Hard work and honesty does make a better man, you just need to realize and what your parents didn’t teach you is there are people they will use you for that, and when they’re done with you, they leave you in such a bad shape along with burdening you with the bs they created.

that’s not cynical, that is what happens.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

In reply to #8

06/16/2021 3:28 PM

Thanks for that news source. I now have it bookmarked. If they would just pile up the red tape they wouldn't need much dirt or rocks.

Good Answers: 115

06/17/2021 10:02 AM

All,

Does anyone have reliable data comparing the power availability for solar compared to wind? I have read that their peaks are "usually" or "frequently" at different times of the day or the week.

Add to the general discussion on this topic--with Lake Mead water levels now lower than 37% of capacity, I suspect the normally reliable hydro electric power from that source to be lower than normal. This will put a greater stress on the grids to the west, where the present heat waves are worse.

Hydro is probably the best peaking source of power because its output can be changed in less than a few seconds, to meet load fluctuation. Compared to this, steam-powered plants take many hours to go from a cold start to full production and are much slower to respond to significant changes in load while they are operating. The only other commonly-used source that responds quickly is NG powered combined cycle plants.

Long-distance DC interties are a good and reliable method for balancing supply and demand, and have been used for decades to tie the hydro output from the Columbia river to southern California. AC interties are a very troublesome connection because they fail when a sudden load shift causes the lock-step frequency to fall more than a few degrees from synchronization. Witness what happened a few decades ago resulting in the NYC blackout. When those events happen, it can take hours and even days to re-establish the synchronization of separate plants and grids. With DC interties, there is no need to maintain synchronization, so sudden shifts in load will only cause a sag in voltage.

So, DC interties across the USA would help to balance supply and demand, which could help balance loads across climate zones, hours of the day, and available solar or wind (subject to local weather or time). However, they will be met with complaints of construction cost, apparent loss of independence (think of TX with their problems this last winter), and multi-year construction times.

All in all, we just need to use less, to give up our demand for more, bigger, etc. Try selling that!

--JMM

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #33

06/23/2021 1:53 PM

We don't need to use less, we need to build more capacity, like we have been doing for the last 100 years...

In reply to #49

06/23/2021 2:09 PM

France is doing just dandy on 70% nukes to generate their electrical demand and is building more.

I'm more than willing to pay whatever I need to satisfy my power needs. In the most technologically advanced nation on this planet why should we even start to think about limiting what we want?

For those who want to go back to pre-industrial days, I say have at it. Just don't force (or shame) me into following. If you try I'm willing to fight.

Hooker

Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 27

06/17/2021 11:46 AM

Thinking farther ahead than this summer, I have wondered about the forecast heavy use of electric vehicles. That is, are the electric utilities preparing for this increase in demand? I have heard little about this aspect of electric vehicles, but also have not searched for it.

In reply to #34

06/17/2021 2:55 PM

We usually like to learn these lesson the hard way. If you try to say anything in advance of the disaster, you'll be called a reactionary doomsayer who hates progress, fresh air, green fields, and milk and honey.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

06/17/2021 2:57 PM

The buzz about EV's is, and it is clear, there is insufficient capacity on anyone's grid to deal with EV's and charging them up. The upside is that people will charge their cars at home, go to the office and supply their charge back into the grid.

This is being done in Holland with bicycles and the charged battery from cycling is discharged into the bicycle lock up busbar in the street and it supplies to the local offices and houses in the street.

https://popupcity.net/observations/is-amsterdams-power-in-the-bikes/

To get all the charging stations installed, much excavation work needs to be done to provide cabling for ll the charging stations they need in towns. Charging at home is in my opinion valueless as the battery will only charge to approximately 80% on a full days charge, so you loose 20% each time it is charged. To fully charge an EV's battery will take days on a home charger and about 36 hrs + on a 3 phase charging system.

So that is the way they are looking at powering up the grid and this will make it most unstable and pretty much inefficient with people plugging in and out of the grid system. Fine if there is a blackout, as it will run some items for a few hours, perhaps, but not for long and then how do you drive your flat battery car home. No doubt we will re-invent an emergency bicycle that gives you power when you get home.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #41

06/17/2021 3:28 PM

Hypocrisy appears where the progressives of this country is going...

it won’t be long until you see a electric car being charge by a gas or diesel powered generator.

That is if they still can get Petrol.

In reply to #41

06/17/2021 4:09 PM

"...people will charge their cars at home, go to the office and supply their charge back into the grid."

Then please tell us how the people will get home with a discharged battery.

In reply to #44

06/17/2021 4:14 PM

And taking life out of the battery with additional charge/discharge cycles.

Everyone understands that every battery has a limited lifetime that is based on the number of 'cycles", right?

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #45

06/17/2021 5:00 PM

In reply to #46

06/17/2021 5:43 PM

Login to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #44

06/17/2021 5:35 PM
Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #34

06/17/2021 3:05 PM

They keep saying they have plenty of generating capacity, but then they turn around and say they can't meet peak demand now...so I suspect there's politically motivated slight of hand...they seem to me to be building a trap, in which they build all this wind and solar structure, then claim it's unreliable because it lacks storage capability, so now we need to spend many many times as much on thousands of square miles of battery banks, which we've already spent who knows how much on these unreliable sources already, to make them somewhat reliable...and we'll end up with the most expensive somewhat unreliable grid, which will turn out to be an exercise in futility that creates a sea of toxic waste, that will leach into the environment for hundreds of years....So then we will have to pay even more, to clean it up...

In reply to #42

06/25/2021 3:53 PM

" . . . politically motivated slight of hand . . . " ?? More like a 2-by-4 upside the head.

Too many people now have their preferred party in power and have put their brains into stand-by so they have no idea of what's happening to them. And the media is not going to point it out either.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #52

06/28/2021 4:38 AM

Green bullying....hey I coined a new phrase

Don't worry eventually he will calm down and return to normal....

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (5); dkwarner (4); Hooker (4); IQ (6); jmueller (1); Lehman57 (2); lyn (1); phoenix911 (13); SolarEagle (14); StandardsGuy (3)

Previous in Forum: Would You Sell a Car You Only Drove 600+ Miles?   Next in Forum: Underground GRE Fire Fighting Ring Joints Failure

Advertisement