Previous in Forum: VPN Setup Problem   Next in Forum: Not Enough Rebar?
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 240

Drone Destroyed by Laser

06/25/2021 7:24 AM

https://twitter.com/ElbitSystemsLtd/status/1406989141959655436?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1406989141959655436%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Fvideo-plane-armed-with-laser-downs-drones-israeli-military-test-2021-6

Israel has shot down a drone with a laser carried by a small plane.

An enemy with common sense would simply coat all drones with a mirror-like reflector,or if a missile,spin it rapidly to prevent concentrating energy in one spot.

Or perhaps,as the tech develops,a smart reflector system that would reflect the laser back to it's source?

But I am sure the Israelis and it's enemies have considered this.

A particle beam would be more effective.

(Sure,they don't exist yet...RIGHT) ;an explosive-derived particle beam has been under development for many years by several countries,but not much is heard about it,and rightly so.

Comments?

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

Re: Drone destroyed by laser

06/25/2021 10:05 AM

You're right, a shiny metallic surface would be harder to burn through.

According to this, neutral particle beams are not being pursued.

The Pentagon Is Giving Up on Particle Beam Weapons (popularmechanics.com)

For knocking down drones, there's always "militarized silly string".

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

06/25/2021 10:50 AM

Sure it works great on small commercial drones,but how about militarized large ones with jet engines?

Of course the Pentagon would not let the public know everything they are working on.

All countries have an ace in the hole.

Russia is known to have been working on explosive-triggered particle beams in the '70's.They were ground based and used a small nuclear explosion to generate the beam,and powerful magnets to focus and concentrate the beams'(think CRT ).

The explosion was contained within a powerful magnetic field and special container.

I am sure we were doing to the same,and given the technology improvements since then,it is probably far advanced from that era.

I am sure the issues with Coulomb repulsion and the variable magnetic field of the Earth have been worked out by now.

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 399

06/25/2021 4:01 PM

Laser, schmazer. Let these ladies take care of those drones.

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 913

06/25/2021 4:17 PM

An explosive-derived particle beam sounds more like a shotgun.

Anyone for some skeet shooting?

In reply to #4

06/25/2021 10:53 PM

You must mean a implosion device that creates variations of deference in the energy spectrum,or a advanced variations frequency and photon emission systems

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

06/26/2021 7:13 AM

No.I mean a particle beam created by a small nuclear explosion.I remember reading about it,and the best I can recall,it had the explosion contained with a strong magnetic field,and the beam went to an accumulator,then focusing chamber with magnets,before exiting the weapon.This was from research done by Russia in the 1970's (approx). They had solved the problem of reducing Coulomb scattering apparently,and was capable of delivering Giga-watts of energy at 100 Km,sufficiently focused to destroy any incoming missile.

I don't remember reading how they accomplished the Coulomb scattering problem,but maybe they used 2 beams of opposite polarity to hold it together.

Imagine a small magnetic "funnel" located concentrically inside of a larger funnel,and you get the idea.Now imagine each focused to a certain distance.Like I said,I don't know if this is even possible,I am just speculating,(through my spectacles), from a HTRN perspective.Imagine more than two concentric funnels;an array instead.

It would give them,or us,an unpenetrable missile defense system.

There was a high risk of self destruction,and this was considered an acceptable risk at the time.

As I stated,I am sure they did not abandon the research back then,and I am sure we have some undisclosed projects underway that are off-budget,being funded by the Pentagon's very deep pockets.

Hold on a minute,there is a black helicopter landing on my roof..."Hey,let's see a warrant...you can't do th-----"

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #7

06/26/2021 3:04 PM

Heh, Heh; who says we can't!

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 47
In reply to #4

06/25/2021 11:29 PM

"Drone on" would be the cry not "pull"!

Still would make for fun with those pesky snooper drones.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); cummings r and d (1); HiTekRedNek (2); redfred (1); Rixter (1); Stef (1)

Previous in Forum: VPN Setup Problem   Next in Forum: Not Enough Rebar?

Advertisement