Previous in Forum: Overvoltage Protection   Next in Forum: Door Earthing - Low voltage (LV) Panel
Close
Close
Close
13 comments

Lighting DB

07/07/2021 9:41 AM

Hi Everybody,
I am designing a Lighting DB (Single Line Diagram).
I am stuck at Bus Bar Rating and Main MCCB Rating.
Can anybody please guide how to set Bus Bar Ampere Rating and Short Circuit Current Rating and as well as MCCB Rating.

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

Re: Lighting DB

07/07/2021 9:43 AM

<...anybody please guide ...>

Yes. A local, qualified Electrical Engineer can do that.

In reply to #1

07/07/2021 9:47 AM

Well, Currently i am looking for that qualified Electrical Engineer :)

Login to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808
In reply to #2

07/08/2021 10:27 AM

OK. So what is wanted from this forum?

Good Answers: 1665

07/07/2021 3:18 PM
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

07/07/2021 3:46 PM

What electrical standards are you building to that you need to comply with (they vary from country to country, and can even vary from application to application)?

What's the application exactly?

Are you qualified to do so or are you getting someone else who is to check and sign off on your work?

Guide documents and electrical standards are available online to guide you through the process (but you really need to make sure they are applicable to the standards you need to comply with, as these do vary).

Good Answers: 67

07/08/2021 1:51 AM

The bus bar rating is set by your load. The main breaker protects the bus bars in the panel for overcurrent. The short circuit rating is set by the upstream power system capacity to deliver short circuit current.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Associate

Location: Newtongrange (10 miles from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK (1,000,000 miles from the real world)

07/08/2021 6:18 AM

If you are designing a distribution board, you should be looking to your company's design protocols and take advice from senior technical personnel.

If you are specifying a DB to be procured and used within your organisation then you need to engage a professional electrical engineer to design the distribution system and the board will be one product of that design process.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 249

07/08/2021 7:28 AM

If you are "designing" this item, then surely you know the current capacity of the wiring and other devices that you are working to protect that are within your side of the design.

That becomes the foundation of the protections required, since the protection is for the elements downstream of that protection device.

From the question asked, there seem to be some other fundamentals that could also lead to failure. You need to seek relevant local support for all of this.

Good Answers: 272

07/09/2021 5:32 AM

As others have said your local regulations should be followed, but if I was doing it I'd do this.

Add up all the loads = L

Bus bar rating =2 x L

MCCB rating = 1.2 x L

Good Answers: 240

07/10/2021 7:31 AM

If you do not know how to calculate this,why are you designing it?

You are obviously not qualified or licensed to perform such work.

What type of company would hire such an unqualified person to do such work?

Not only are you not qualified,you do not know where to get the relevant information,which is further testimony to your incompetence.

You do not even know what you do not know.

You are a danger to everyone .STOP! Get a qualified electrical engineer or qualified electrical contractor of the appropriate level to do it.

My words are harsh,but this is not the time to be diplomatic and beating around the bush.Lives are at stake.Can you live with your mistakes?

In reply to #10

07/10/2021 1:15 PM

Dear HiTekRedNek,
I believe you are elder and way more qualified than me.
I have nothing much to write in reply to your Reply.
But, i'll just write few words,
I believe that the way I am learning at this stage of my life you must have learned the same way.
Have a Nice Day:)

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 240
In reply to #11

07/11/2021 5:57 AM

I learned by working 7 years with a licensed contractor,running conduit,pulling wires,threading conduit,installing panels,controllers,crawling under buildings,climbing poles,underground vaults,hazardous and explosive areas, 13,200 volt primaries,7200volt,4160 volt,600volt,440 volt,208/120Y,24 volt controls,DC motor drives with mercury tube rectifiers,later replaced by solid state digital drives,PLC's pick and place systems,automated processes of all types,communication circuits,Ethernet,Cat 6 Fiber,Wire guided vehicles,etc.

I then went to college to get a B.S.E.E degree and subsequently obtained my unlimited electrical contracting license by passing a lengthy examination and a review board.

I have been retired since 2011 due to health issues.

So now you understand why I object to unqualified people endangering other people's lives.

If you sit in the pilot's seat you should be able to fly the plane.

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 24

07/11/2021 7:53 AM

"I am designing a Lighting DB (Single Line Diagram).

I am stuck at Bus Bar Rating and Main MCCB Rating.

Can anybody please guide how to set Bus Bar Ampere Rating and Short Circuit Current Rating and as well as MCCB Rating."

You may get a more appropriate response IF you did not claim that you are "designing"? It seems you are just trying to learn how to design?? There is a big difference in meaning with your choice of words..

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

David H (1); HiTekRedNek (2); jack of all trades (1); Just an Engineer (1); Muhammad Abdullah (2); PWSlack (2); Randall (1); rwilliams (1); SolarEagle (1); vsar (1)

Previous in Forum: Overvoltage Protection   Next in Forum: Door Earthing - Low voltage (LV) Panel

Advertisement