Previous in Forum: Innovative Covid 19 Spray CROWNase   Next in Forum: Direct Image of an Exoplanet
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 52

Prius Prime Replacement

07/31/2021 4:26 AM

On June 28th, we jumped on a plane and headed to Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. The flight out was a disaster! We arrived at LAX at around 2 pm for our 3:30 ish flight. Shoot, delayed for two hours. Okay, let's find something to eat! I'm hungry!!! Most places closed and the few that are open have long lines and poor service! CPK - terrible service - we left without ordering. A few other places were bad too. We wound up eating pre-made burgers sitting under a heat lamp ($16 a pop). We went to the gate and the board says 3:37! Yikes, we hurry to the shuttle bus, then to the gate and there's nobody there!!! I check the time and it's 3:15 or so. The board says Guadaljara or something like that. I walked to the info booth and the guy there says our flight has been cancelled and we should see the rep at gate 4,203,991 - not really, but it was all the way on the other side of the terminal, so off I go. When I get there, the gal has this blank stare as I ask her what we should do. She sent me back to the check in counter, so we walk to the shuttle, take the bus back to the main building, then the walk back to the counter. As we're waiting in line, an email pops up - instructions for a replacement flight. After going through the screens, we finally get a flight from LAX to McKarren, then from McKarren to Sky Harbor. The first leg is late - of course. We land in Vegas and we check the board. Next flight is late! We grab a bite (salty heat lamp food). Then we slowly trod back to the gate and finally board the plane. We arrive, find an Uber and arrive at the hotel after 12:30. OVER TWELVE HOURS from when we left home!

The rest of the trip was much, much better. We picked up our new car the next day. It was a couple mile walk, so we headed out on foot. The last mile, we took an Uber - it was getting hot (over 108). We purchased our new car and spent the week in Phoenix (and a short drive to Cottonwood), then drove home Friday night.

What did we get?

It's a 1993 Alfa Spider with 20K original miles (odo read 8K, but was replaced early in it's life). Original paint, interior all original, motor clean, everything is tight, all the features work, tires good (Michelin's), Nardi wheel (gorgeous steering wheel - our red car has one too) ... we love our new car, though it's not really a replacement for the Prius. For the last month, I've taken her to the office at least once a week. Fantastic on the side streets, freeway and even easy to drive in traffic!

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

Re: Prius Prime replacement

07/31/2021 4:51 AM

Another year, another Alfa....when will this madness end?

In reply to #1

Re: Prius Prime replacement

08/05/2021 12:23 AM

This is absolute madness! I actually squeezed three cars wide in the driveway!

Today, I saw a 1993 in white with 11K miles at the auction. I tried to get it, but the seller wants too much (reserve too high). Probably best for me, but I sure would like to have a white one!

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

Re: Prius Prime Replacement

07/31/2021 8:00 AM

Nice!

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #2

08/05/2021 12:24 AM

Thanks! She drives like a dream. Like a 28 year old time capsule!

Good Answers: 3

07/31/2021 8:20 AM

You have the time and the need to document all that trivia? LOL

And then we find out it's just another rave about the most boring looking car ever made?

BTW, if you want more people to read your monologues at least try learning how to use the enter key.

Login to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 399
In reply to #3

08/02/2021 2:58 PM
Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #3

08/05/2021 12:29 AM

Oh, come on! These are gorgeous cars. When you look closely, you'll see the beauty. This was the last car that Battista Farina designed.

I have parked next to many "normal" cars and they just look so ... not special.

Part of my post was a complaint against Frontier Airlines. The worst ... that is until I heard about the Spirit Airlines debacle! If an airline can't be honest and straight with their customers, then how do we know how well they're maintaining their planes? So, I'll keep away from those small cheap airlines, unless I really need to use them.

In reply to #3

08/05/2021 12:31 AM

FYI, I wrote in that style to illustrate the frustration we had on our flight. I think you got the message, which was my point.

Oh yeah, don't fly Frontier!

Good Answers: 28

08/01/2021 10:00 AM

That sounds typical of air transport in the USA. The client has no value, just the money is important. But the main question; does the car have the original Alfa smell. A very distinct smell is only found in the older Alfa's. If you own/ownded an Alfa you know what I am talking about.

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #4

08/05/2021 12:41 AM

This is the first time I've ever had this much trouble on a flight. For years, I flew from LAX to Sky Harbor, sometimes 2x in a week. Southwest was my go to. Flights every 1/2 hour until 10 pm or so. Easiest flight to take. Boo on Frontier!

Regarding the Alfa smell. No, this car doesn't have it. I own two Series 4 cars and neither has the smell. All my other Alfa's do and yes, I know the smell. Maybe from the plastics they use? I never gave it much thought, but there is a distinct smell to an older Alfa.

Kinda like how older Porsche's have a distinct smell. Many years ago, I owned a 1967 912 (boy do I miss that car) and a 1970 911 with a Sportomatic (I didn't like it). Both had the Porsche specific smell.

And Jaguar's have another type of smell too. I have some very fond memories of the Jaguar smell. The one I miss is my 1996 XJ6 Vanden Plas. What a fantastic car!

Oh, one more. Those old Volvo 240's not only had a unique smell, but also the sound of the door closing and of the car coming down the street. We owned a whole bunch of 240's. A 1978 242 DL coupe in Mustard Yellow with an overdrive 4 speed (car that wouldn't die), a 1979 265 GL wagon in Silver (POS PRV V-6 motor), a 1985 240 GL sedan in white (daughter got into three accidents in one year) and a 1987 245 DL wagon in blue with an overdrive 4 speed - another solid gem. I didn't matter if it's cloth or leather seats, Volvo 240's have that smell!

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Autobroker (5); Brave Sir Robin (1); IQ (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); Trees4Life (1)

Previous in Forum: Innovative Covid 19 Spray CROWNase   Next in Forum: Direct Image of an Exoplanet

Advertisement