Previous in Forum: When Historically Correct is Historically Stupid   Next in Forum: Burning Hydrogen
Close
Close
Close
35 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 242

Do We Have to Breathe to Live?

10/19/2021 4:32 AM

Here is an interesting link that may be the first baby steps to a totally integrated mammal/plant organism that make it's own oxygen and absorbs it's own CO2,powered only by light.

I know may be far into the future,but I imagine the one of the first steps would be a transparent skull cap with artificial light for power source,or micro-sized led implants in organs or the brain.

"Dim Witted" would then actually have a literal meaning.

https://scitechdaily.com/not-science-fiction-german-scientists-harness-the-power-of-photosynthesis-for-new-way-to-breathe/

You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 275

Re: Do we have to breathe to live?

10/19/2021 5:21 AM

Interesting bit of serendipity: I just watched an article on the news about scientists making progress with curing brain diseases with infrared light (the subjects wear a helmet with infrared lights and exhibit improvements in memory and motor skills). It works because infrared penetrates the brain by about 1½ to 2 inches and has lots of beneficial effects. I see that there is also now also progress with

Substantial near-infrared radiation-driven photosynthesis of chlorophyll f-containing cyanobacteria in a natural habitat

Perhaps combining these three things could eventually be beneficial.

In reply to #1

10/19/2021 7:51 AM

Perhaps the little green men of the future will be us.

Think about it..no one hungry in the world,with our bodies making our food and oxygen,using our carbon dioxide for the photosynthesis portion and generating oxygen for metabolism.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #3

10/20/2021 12:02 AM

'..no one hungry in the world..'. Plants require food from outside (water, nutrients), so organisms with photosynthesis will be hungry if nutrients are scarce (natural/artificial). May be when light is so important for energy production internally, people may be hungry for light.

Login to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 811

Re: Do We Have to Breathe to Live?

10/19/2021 5:58 AM

Undefined: <...We...>.

In reply to #2

10/19/2021 8:04 AM

Definition of we

(Entry 1 of 2)

1 : I and the rest of a group that includes me : you and I : you and I and another or others : I and another or others not including you —used as pronoun of the first person plural We live here.We would like to order now.We had a party at school. — compare i, our, ours, us 2 : i entry 1 —used by sovereigns —used by writers to keep an impersonal character 3 : you sense 1 —used coaxingly We don't want to wake our guests, do we? , encouragingly We are looking much better this morning. , or in sarcasm A little snippy, are we? Sorry about your truncated VI

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #4

10/19/2021 8:55 AM

<...others...>

What does the term <...We...> exclude (rhetorical question - NNTR)?

Is subscription to the <...We...> in question a matter of personal choice (rhetorical question - NNTR)? If not, then by what authority and under what process approved by whom does the appointed judge make that determination (rhetorical question - NNTR)? Is there a societal implication to being either side of that boundary and what would it be (rhetorical question - NNTR)? What are the implications of such a determination (rhetorical question - NNTR)?

It's the lack of concise definition to the word <...We...> that makes the oft-asked question "are we alone?" in particular totally useless and meaningless. If, for example, <...We...> means "all life in the universe", then the answer is unequivocally "yes" and needs no additional evidential proof on this date - the question itself is superfluous; if it doesn't, then someone, somewhere, is making a judgement and it is the mechanism by which that appointment has been made that is open to question and interpretation. Some might call that a philosophy or an ideology.

Of course there is life that exists without having to <...Breathe to Live...>. It is therefore a matter of judgement (by whom and under what authority (rhetorical question - NNTR)?) as to whether the <...We...> in question is determined a part of that particular set of things or outside of that set.

No subscriber to CR4 has ever been appointed as a groupthink co-ordinator for all its other subscribers regardless of any ambition expressed anywhere otherwise; that's not the way this forum works.

Hence the objectionable nature of an undefined <...We...>, the absence of which definition makes the original question meaningless, and to this username in particular, nonsensical.

The meaning of the word "I", on the other hand, is much easier to determine, and therefore carries more validity and substance; the source is identifiable and traceable.

"Include me out" - Samuel Goldwyn, Film Producer, c1940.

<unsubscribes>

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 920
In reply to #5

10/19/2021 9:09 AM

I've always found the question "Are we alone?" a paradoxical question. The answer must be "no" because "we" is a plural pronoun.

In reply to #4

10/19/2021 10:53 PM

Personally I always thought that 'we' referred to the 3 of us i.e. Me , myself and I ..but then I have been called an egoist. LOL

Login to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

10/19/2021 9:03 AM

The tadpoles used are transparent. Light reaches deep into their bodies. I doubt these tadpoles will be able to use their internal algae for oxygen after they become frogs with opaque skin. Tadpoles are small and have a fairly high surface area to volume ratio, too. I question if this can be scaled up to the size of a person with transparent skin.

This is an interesting report but it seems to be far from practical. Don't get me wrong. This might lead to something that leads to something else that one day allows something else to be practical after some unknown iterations of interesting reports. We are not there, yet.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1006

10/19/2021 9:04 AM

Interesting idea. One obstacle is that warm blooded creatures (e.g., humans) need a lot more oxygen than cold blood creatures such as tadpoles, a problem which has stymied the development of artificial gills.

I've seen estimates that it takes about 8 trees worth of chlorophyll to produce enough oxygen for a human, probably more than you could get in your body and illuminate with LEDs.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1683
In reply to #7

10/19/2021 4:12 PM

Much of that oxygen is needed for the body, if we were to replace the body with an electrically powered doppelganger, then we would only need enough oxygen for the brain....

In reply to #10

10/19/2021 6:09 PM

Only if that brain will be used.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1006
In reply to #10

10/19/2021 8:27 PM

The brain uses about 20% of the body's oxygen.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

10/19/2021 9:55 PM

I can only think clearly, when I'm in full Sun....

Anonymous Poster #1

10/19/2021 3:11 PM

Mammal/plant organisms? What's new about that? Seen mammal/plant organisms voted to office. Gimme a brake.

Login to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 405
In reply to #9

10/19/2021 10:39 PM

Login to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #14

10/20/2021 1:02 AM

In reply to #9

10/20/2021 7:48 AM

Of course they exist.

Coral is one such organism that lives in symbiosis with algae.

I think the first experiments should be on thin skinned,super sensitive people,and there are plenty of them everywhere.

Good Answers: 13

10/20/2021 3:19 AM

Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow by Yuval Noah Harari

A Brief History of Tomorrow examines what might happen to the world when old myths are coupled with new godlike technologies, such as artificial intelligence and genetic engineering.

Humans conquered the world thanks to their unique ability to believe in collective myths about gods, money, equality and freedom – as described in Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. In Homo Deus, Prof. Harari looks to the future and explores how global power might shift, as the principal force of evolution – natural selection – is replaced by intelligent design.

Sapiens showed us where we came from. In uncertain times, Homo Deus shows us where we're going.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 29

10/20/2021 4:26 AM

Now why on earth would a brain that has been transferred into a computer and implanted into a robot need to breath or need photosynthesis?

If we use bacteria and lab produced foods, we don't even need sunshine as those who will live in space, mars, the moon, will never see sunshine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35786771

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

10/20/2021 7:44 AM

And of course,there will be a huge market for Moonshine!

In reply to #20

10/20/2021 10:02 AM

Will that be 3D printed or stir fried cooked with a laser?

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #23

10/20/2021 10:26 AM

Good corn liquor is hard to find,with family recipes going back many generations.

I have had some good bootleg corn liquor,and it is as smooth as warm cream,and a beautiful corn flavor that can often be imitated,but never be duplicated,and it will sneak up on you with a hammer in both hands if you are not careful.The smoothness will lull you into forgetting about it's potency. In the future I am sure it will be made in the lab,and to the uneducated palate,it will be good,but not to an old timer that has tasted the real McCoy.

In reply to #19

10/20/2021 10:34 AM

I think many trips to other planets will be taken by a holo-deck type device with 100% feedback,simulating reality.The events stored will be compiled by robotic explorers,and the info sent back for sale to customers on Earth.Not necessary to take a years or decades long trip.

The 3Dd devices are getting better and better,and alternate realities are becoming more real every day.I predict it will one day be more addictive than drugs.

In reply to #26

10/20/2021 10:40 AM

One day? Have you ever tried taking a smartphone away from a teenager?

In reply to #26

10/20/2021 11:19 AM

No, No, you have been sucked into the web of deceit and your brain has been taken over by brain worms.

How can "an alternate reality becoming more real every day?"

All hope is lost! Come back from the brink of the netherworld. Take the blue pill.

Guru

In reply to #28

10/21/2021 12:22 PM

Correction:Substitute the word "real" with the word "Realistic"

All other statements shall remain unaltered,unless forbidden by federal,state or local law.The right to modify these conditions shall remain with the originator of the thread and may be modified without notice at the discretion of the original poster.

Signed,

Dewy Cheatum and Howe,Esq ,LLP.

Good Answers: 279

10/20/2021 9:58 AM

Many different types of animals have already been discovered that have incorporated photosynthetic processes and put these to advantageous use. These include sea slugs, pea aphids, a type of wasp, and even the spotted salamander.

As oxygen is readily available in many environments, while food typically requires more energy to obtain, these animals seem to be utilizing photosynthesis to cut down on need for food rather than venture into anoxic environments.

In reply to #22

10/20/2021 10:19 AM

Not so sure that statement is 100% correct. Many creatures live around hydro-thermal vents that spew out noxious gases and no oxygen, They also live at the bottom of the sea in darker than dark places and thrive without photosynthesis and low/no oxygen content.

https://tailandfur.com/strange-creatures-and-animals-that-live-near-hydro-thermal-vents/

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 279
In reply to #24

10/20/2021 2:45 PM

which statement of mine seems less than correct?

10/21/2021 11:21 AM

This thread warrants reporting to the Royal Apostropher.

In reply to #30

10/21/2021 11:25 AM

10/21/2021 12:24 PM

I have found the answer to my own question.

The answer is "yes".

I have tried not breathing,and it does not work for very long.

In reply to #33

10/21/2021 4:04 PM

It can also be No. One just needs to decide how long you want to live.

Guru

In reply to #34

10/21/2021 5:14 PM

I realize you are a contrarian but that is illogical.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); g srikanth (1); HiTekRedNek (8); IQ (5); krishnan.ng (1); pfridays (1); PWSlack (3); Randall (1); redfred (5); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (4); truth is not a compromise (2)

Previous in Forum: When Historically Correct is Historically Stupid   Next in Forum: Burning Hydrogen

Advertisement