Previous in Forum: Earth Bonding in Low Voltage Bonding   Next in Forum: What is the meaning of this symbol on a 11kV CB Panel
Close
Close
Close
10 comments

Smart Inverters

10/22/2021 9:43 AM

It is great to know there is under development a sort of inverters adequately designed to smartly interact with the grid, considering the behaviour of the grid and their own behaviour, to optimize and augment the necessary and already late usage of renewable energy sources.
Congratulations to the creating heads!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1701

Re: Mr.

10/22/2021 9:57 AM
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 407
In reply to #1

10/22/2021 6:34 PM

I could see a day where the utility owns the grid-tie inverter and the control of it, much like the meter and you lease it from the utility so you can connect to the grid. The utility cannot afford to have equipment outside of its direct control. At least in any reliable grid. When the power goes out in Hawaii, few people are going to freeze to death.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

10/23/2021 2:07 AM

Well this is sort of the bottom up approach, the top down approach we already have is little relay boxes next to non-critical but major appliances that can shed load without any pain, this will give greater load management capabilities for grid operators...

https://www.fpl.com/save/programs/on-call.html

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 407
In reply to #3

10/25/2021 7:49 PM

Yes, for the princely sum of $10 per month credit on my electric bill, I allow Baltimore Gas & Electric (BGE) the option to cycle off my air conditioner on those really hot days when demand is high. I'm not sure they cycled my A/C this past summer. I don't believe we had any of those "Energy Savings" days. People may not be using as much energy or maybe it just didn't get hot enough.

Register to Reply

In reply to #3

10/26/2021 6:24 AM

I understand the reasoning. A question: who would pay for the relay boxes?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

10/26/2021 8:07 AM

The customers that don't have the boxes I guess, anyway they don't charge for it...they pay you a certain amount each month for allowing them control certain appliances... This then allows them to cut off certain appliances up to 4 hrs a day...the pool pump and the water heater are 2 you probably never would notice, electric dryer, not a problem unless you're in the middle of wash day ...A/C and electric heat, that would be quite noticeable at certain times of the year...

https://www.fpl.com/save/programs/on-call.html

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1012
In reply to #1

10/24/2021 11:46 AM

I'm wondering how much problem lack of rotational inertia is and whether smart inverters solve this.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

10/24/2021 2:12 PM

What is grid forming inverter?

"Grid-forming inverters are an emerging technology that allows solar and other inverter-based energy sources to restart the grid independently. ... As the rapid deployment of renewable technologies transforms the electric power system, it is critical to maintain the grid's reliability and stability."Jan 4, 2021

https://www.energy.gov/eere/solar/articles/powering-grid-forming-inverters

https://www.nrel.gov/grid/grid-forming-inverter-controls.html

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1012

Re: Smart Inverters

10/25/2021 9:44 PM

Here is an example of a "smart inverter". A phase-lock-loop matches phase and frequency of the inverter to the bus, and droop characteristics manage active and reactive power sharing.

"Abstract—Microgrids are small-scale electricity supply networks that have local power generation. This paper considers a control strategy for inverter-based microsources within a microgrid. The general control philosophy within a microgrid is that sources must rely only on local information, yet must cooperate with other sources. To accomplish that goal, the proposed controller uses droop characteristics for active-power/frequency and reactive-power/voltage. The proposed control strategy is based on the use of a phase locked loop to measure the microgrid frequency at the inverter terminals, and to facilitate regulation of the inverter phase relative to the microgrid. This control strategy allows microgrids to seamlessly transition between grid-connected and autonomous operation, and vice versa. The controller has been implemented in an actual microgrid that incorporated multiple sources. The paper provides simulation results and documents the performance of the hardware implementation."

https://web.eecs.umich.edu/~hiskens/publications/PID1925443.pdf

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #7

Re: Smart Inverters

10/25/2021 10:42 PM

It seems to me you need phase and frequency matching equipment that won't connect until the phase and frequency matches from either side...that way if one side is up and running they will be the controlling factor....so you have these phase and frequency matching switches that can isolate a section of the grid on either side and send a signal to the inverters to match parameters of their generation supply...then if one side or the other is lacking, then the switch is open and the grid section meeting parameters is isolated, when the voltage is adequate then the phase and frequency can be made to match from the lessor of the two sides...then you have the inverter control that can add to the grid on demand or switch off when the supply isn't needed...that way any section that has a problem can be isolated until the generation capacity to maintain voltage can be met...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (2); Rixter (2); Saulo (1); SolarEagle (5)

Previous in Forum: Earth Bonding in Low Voltage Bonding   Next in Forum: What is the meaning of this symbol on a 11kV CB Panel

Advertisement