Previous in Forum: How to test contact vibration sensors.   Next in Forum: Function of fuel vapor recycling [?] fitting for small gasoline engine
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 8

New high speed engine?

12/18/2021 12:20 AM

There is a new engine development under way that I saw years ago as an issued patent.

I have my doubts. What are the engine experts on here thinking of that?

Who Wants The Most Revolutionary Engine In The World? 160 HP. 25K RPM Redline. Only 35lbs - AAH 583, named Omega 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LkkjYParp4

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

Re: New high speed engine?

12/18/2021 2:36 AM

I can sum this up....no working model...we hear big claims all the time about new engine designs that never come to fruition because in reality they don't work, show me a working model that can be tested, otherwise you're just wasting my time....and making a presentation based on his own observations and opinions without a working model, smells like a scam...Let's face it if he had something that worked he would be driving around in a vehicle powered by this device...No this looks like a classic scam to me, promise everything, deliver nothing, get paid for doing it...

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936
In reply to #1

12/18/2021 10:45 AM

You nailed it SolarEagle, GA. Without a working model, this is at best pure speculation if not an outright scam.

There is one aspect you overlooked that reinforces our shared opinion that this sounds like a research funding scam. This looks like a very simple design to implement into a first-order prototype. Two initially identical gears mesh, and rotate in a custom manifold. Custom machining of the sidewalls and on one area of the toothed surface location for each gear and a part to mount on one gear will be needed. Why is there no prototype with identified areas (seals, rotational balance) with verifiable data that need improvement?

A first-order prototype need not be fabricated in hardened steel or even any flame-resistant material. 3-D printed plastic parts with timed compressed air blown into the reaction chamber (location?) can cheaply show if this is plausible for investment funding.

Without proof that these dreamers know how to properly test their dream, they are just following in Elizabeth Holmes's footsteps.

In reply to #1

12/18/2021 11:31 AM

Thank you Solar Eagle.

It was presented by Autoline, John McElroy, that supposed to be reputable.

I only posted it as the statement was made that a prototype existed, and a lot of enthusiasm was presented. However, the data: rpm 25,000, HP 160, and weight 35 lbs seem to be calculated, not measured values. The statement of a working prototype is made at min 13:45.

I don't remember the patent number of years ago. At the time I discarded the design as useless as well.

They say that no valves exist, yes not conventional ones, but the top ring has the only purpose to function as a valve for the lower ring. The ratio of surface area to combustion chamber volume at combustion is way worse than that of the Wankel rotary design that had very poor efficiency due to a very unfavorable ratio of volume to surface area of the combustion chamber. The Wankel rotary equivalent stroke-to-bore ratio is near 0.32 in the Mazda RX8 design, lower than that of the older F1 engines of 0.4, now higher. Yet, in above presentation high efficiency is claimed that can only spring from enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is a deadly attribute in any new invention.

The had mention a radius of the chamber of near 4.5" (115 mm). w= 25000 *pi/30 * 0.115 m rad = 300 m/sec piston velocity. Divide that by 6 = 50 m/s, which is still high, we get 160 hp/6= 27 hp, which is likely all they will ever get. They have spend over 1 million, so far.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 936
In reply to #3

12/18/2021 2:52 PM

Forget about the claimed combustion chamber dimension. The critical dimension is the amount of money consumed by this idea. You did not specify the monetary denomination but even a million Turkish Lira in investment (about $61,000 USD today) should produce some actual tangible prototype for demonstration and testing. The fact that they did not present such a tangible prototype (or at least some pictures of one) says everything.

In reply to #4

12/18/2021 9:17 PM

Hi Redfred,

These are US guys. Are you living in the USA? If so, (I expected this) I would have assumed that you are aware of "Autoline" and their master John McElroy. It supposed to be a reputable news outlet about cars.

The amount was 1 million USD that was spent so far. You can check that, starting at min 13:45.

I agree, the lack of a picture is not helping their credibility. I am pretty sure that the data provided are all pie-in-the-sky calculated numbers, not measured data.

Regards

12/19/2021 4:55 PM

I wish them the best and I hope it works but with statements on their website like (does not require rotor seals at all. Tight tolerances and high RPMs solve that problem, not enough time for the air to leak when running!), I think I'll keep my checkbook in my pocket for a while longer.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #6

12/19/2021 8:37 PM

Tight tolerances stay tight at 4,000 to 5,000 RPM for the first 3-4 minutes of run time. At 25K? Anyone's guess whether the wear-rate curve is 2nd order or higher, but I'd give those tolerances 20 seconds or less at a power output of 1/2 HP/CI. At the stated rate of nearly 5 HP/CI, I'd give them 2 seconds without seals. My take, my opinion. Yours may (will?) vary!

In reply to #7

12/19/2021 9:19 PM

Agreed...They MAY get away with it on the cooler intake side but on the hot combustion side with various expansion rates?????

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #8

12/19/2021 9:35 PM

Bingo! A HUGE nope, from me.

Good Answers: 4

12/23/2021 4:44 PM

I wonder if the engine itself, will resist certain external accelerations.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Floram (2); Haymaker (1); micahd02 (2); pfridays (2); redfred (2); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: How to test contact vibration sensors.   Next in Forum: Function of fuel vapor recycling [?] fitting for small gasoline engine

Advertisement