Previous in Forum: Power for LED backlight   Next in Forum: HV cable vs overhead power line
Close
Close
Close
5 comments

Backup fuse for SPD

03/05/2022 2:47 PM

Hi everyone ,

should there be a backup fuse for Q0.1-SPD and what size? Schematic is attached.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

Re: Backup fuse for SPD

03/05/2022 5:19 PM

There is no electric power to a surge protection device to my knowledge...If you are talking about a secondary surge device, I guess you can have as many as you want, maybe one on the incoming side and one on the load side, but that seems to be overkill, better to test often if you are that concerned...

https://www.ecmweb.com/power-quality-reliability/article/20900951/understanding-surge-protective-device-ratings

https://professional-electrician.com/technical/surge-protection-devices-can-you-check-them-using-a-mft-metrel/

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

03/06/2022 8:44 AM

Given that circuit breakers and fuses are there to protect the downstream wiring, the answer is yes, and it needs to be compatible with the downstream wiring to the <...SPD...>.

In the UK, BS7671 gives full protocols for this. The same is probably true for national electrical standards in use elsewhere.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #2

03/07/2022 4:05 PM

...and if it isn't, then it's a significant opportunity for improvement.

Anonymous Poster #1

03/09/2022 3:28 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

03/17/2022 1:39 PM

I see many people do it this way and have been told that it’s because the SPD is not a “load”, ergo the circuit is not a “branch”. I have always disagreed, but have not pursued proving it further because of the following:

I would never have an SPD that is not able to be disconnected from the line to be replaced. SPDs often sacrifice themselves in the line of duty, so need replacement periodically. In the scenario shown, the only way to replace them would be to disconnect the main incoming power, shutting down everything. So I always insist on a disconnect ahead of the SPD, and the cost of adding fuses or making that a circuit breaker is not worth arguing about. In addition, sometimes when an SPD dispatches a surge, it does do “with extreme prejudice” as they say in movies, meaning the act involves a minor explosive event, which can lead to causing a flashover that could then end up causing the Main protective device to open, shutting everything down. Having a separate Short Circuit Protective Device ahead of the SPD can help isolate the fault.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); JRaef (1); PWSlack (2); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Power for LED backlight   Next in Forum: HV cable vs overhead power line

Advertisement