Previous in Forum: Software Defined Radio   Next in Forum: Did April 1st come early this year?
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Power-User

Location: 3rd rock from the sun,a small dust mote,in a small insignificant spiral galaxy referred to locally as the Milky Way
Good Answers: 3

Stalking?

03/15/2022 3:47 AM

If someone,or a group of unknown individuals were following you everywhere you went,recording everything you bought,everyone you talked to,that would be illegal,and considered stalking.

IMHO: Tracking on line is the same as stalking.Even if you request not to be tracked,the request is ignored.Why should tracking not be considered a crime,same as stalking?

The stalkers(trackers) branch out and share info with thousands of others and multiply exponentially,like viruses and bacteria,exchanging information.

There outta be a law,but I am afraid it will never happen:Too much $$$$$$$$$ to be made with the current lawless system;Too many piggies with their hand and snout in the till,above and below the table.

Someone once said that a good judge is one that stays bought.

Maybe true,maybe not.

A VPN cannot totally conceal the source of a message.

An onion router makes it difficult,but not impossible.

Abandon hope for privacy,all ye who enter here.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 816

Re: Stalking?

03/15/2022 4:20 AM

There is more information available on individuals today than ever there has been, and there ever was about the citizens of former East Germany by the Staasi. All of it has been contributed without the suspicion and coercion of those times, quite willingly.

It's called "Facebook".

Good Answers: 1722

03/15/2022 4:45 AM

I use an anti-tracker app....

Location: 3rd rock from the sun,a small dust mote,in a small insignificant spiral galaxy referred to locally as the Milky Way
In reply to #2

03/15/2022 7:07 AM

I do too,but I am still tracked.Which one do you use?

In reply to #3

03/15/2022 11:20 AM

Norton ....I know it takes time to get them all, I'm at 2300 so far...

03/16/2022 12:57 AM

Good Answers: 287

03/19/2022 6:21 AM

"IMHO: Tracking on line is the same as stalking.Even if you request not to be tracked,the request is ignored.Why should tracking not be considered a crime,same as stalking?"

Why does it bother you? When I was young I got used to the fact that when I walked into a pub, the barman/maid would pour my favourite pint before I got to the bar. I didn't get upset, I thought it was great. Online tracking just achieves the same sort of thing.

In reply to #6

03/19/2022 8:26 AM

If I walk into a bar,and they know me,and my usual drink,that is ok.I know the barmaid/man.But,I don't want him/her following me around town recording my every movement and purchase,following me home,logging all of my purchases and places I visit on the net,and all hours of the night..24/7.

Not only that,but he sells this information for a profit to millions of others,who will then also follow you everywhere.

A single tracking cookie can expand into millions of links overnight,and each of those likewise.

NO TRACK software is no good,because there are an infinite number of IP addresses to spoof,and IP4 just gives them more than every,with enough IP addresses to label every molecule in the universe with a unique IP address.

Information about the brand of bread you bought,when, where,as well as how long you were in the store and parking lot.Where you went from there,every stop you made.Even your clothing will have tracking devices in them,so it will be impossible to escape the hive.Going into the wilderness naked will do no good,because trackers can be included in your next injection or meal;Or in the uterus for new members of the hive.

So yes,it bothers me.,

If it does not bother you,that is alright with me,to each his own.

Some people are sheep,some are goats.

I am a goat.

In reply to #7

03/21/2022 5:56 AM

I may be a sheep but I'm not going to follow you in your paranoia of some computer knowing which brand of bread I eat.

You have given lots of example of the way that this tracking works (and some that don't yet), I could add to the list as easily as anyone else.

You haven't explained why it bothers you?

In reply to #8

03/21/2022 9:43 AM

Very simple:Everyone's business is no one's business.

I have a right to the pursuit of happiness,which includes privacy.

I am not anti-social,per se,but I value my personal time.

You would not mind of someone was following you,and that is ok with me,it is YOUR CHOICE.
Privacy is my choice,and I do not have to explain my rights to anyone.

If you do not understand that concept,more is the pity.

You have accepted the new norm.

03/22/2022 2:54 AM

You seem to be mixing personal information with non-personal, buying preferences of a computer address is hardly the same...they are tracking revenue...

"What is the criminal definition of stalking?

The crime of stalking can be simply described as the unwanted pursuit of another person. Examples of this type of behavior includes following a person, appearing at a person's home or place of business, making harassing phone calls, leaving written messages or objects, or vandalizing a person's property." Feb 14, 2019

https://www.findlaw.com/criminal/criminal-charges/stalking.html

In reply to #10

03/22/2022 7:22 AM

It is not only the purchases that are tracked.Much personal information can be derived from the cookies.Relational data bases can combine seemingly unrelated information to determine ,where you live,when you are home,when your home is not occupied,when it is convenient to plan an illegal entry to your home.Sure,not all people would do that,but there are plenty of nefarious actors that will;likewise,governments that harvest and compile data on individuals.Of course, no one or government can watch everyone in real time,so there are "nets" that filter for key words in conversations or purchases.,but the entire conversation is archived for future use,if needed.

With terabyte RAID arrays and huge warehouses constructed like a giant jukebox,filled with CD's,and a pick/place system that can retrieve data at any time it is possible to record every transaction/conversation on the net.

The government has storage technologies that are at least 10 years ahead of civilian release,like perhaps multi-color encoding of optical discs or cubes.

Imagine a cube,or sphere of merely 25 MM with "dots" placed at certain coordinates,placed and read by lasers.Imagine these dots with a spacing of 1 micron,or less.Now imagine a system that allows you to assign an IP address to all dots in this system.Dots can be placed with the combined power of at least 3 lasers,and read with the same.No need to encode zero's they will simply be the absence of a dot.

A single word from many years ago, that is currently considered politically incorrect can end a career.

Even this conversation is recorded and will be used to develop a character profile.

Governments change hands over time,and who knows what may become of the information that we so naively put on line.

Just because I dump in the woods and don't use Charmin does not mean I am a bear.

Sometimes I start a controversial conversation just for the entertainment value.

In reply to #11

03/22/2022 9:19 PM

If this were the case, there would be no unsolved crimes, no missing people, no need to file income tax, (you would just get a bill), no identity theft etc etc

In reply to #12

03/23/2022 11:17 AM

There are always loopholes to be exploited by organized crime,such as ship and aircraft tracking systems turned off,as just one example.

If a man can program it,another man can hack it.

If you are willing to pay for it,just about any information can be obtained.

Where do telemarketers get your personal information to call you?

How can realtors show a picture of your house when it is not even for sale?

Call blockers and pop up blockers are always playing catch-up,and there are an infinite number of spoofed emails and phone numbers.

Even super-secure entangled-bit communication will be hacked,as well as quantum computers,which are predicted to be un-hackable,will eventually be hacked.

Just follow the $$$$$.

We have found the enemy,and it is us...Pogo

In reply to #13

03/23/2022 1:17 PM

This is why we have insurance...

In reply to #14

03/23/2022 2:08 PM

Some things are not replaceable.Like a life,for instance.

I will not argue with you anymore,it is futile.

In reply to #15

03/25/2022 7:35 AM

"I will not argue with you anymore,it is futile."

Ohhww c'mon

"Sometimes I start a controversial conversation just for the entertainment value."

But now you're talking it's not the tracking which bothers you it's the potential misuse of the data, and, there I agree with you. I can't see why the penalties for misuse shouldn't be so high that people will not do it. Of course there will still be a few, but, the resources to deal with them will be very high.

In reply to #16

03/25/2022 8:40 AM

If the information is there,it will be abused.Like horses and horse dung,you cannot have one with out the other.

One way to discourage it is to mix the cookies placed on your computer with others all over the world,making the tracking useless.Set up an exchange,using a VPN,or Torr to scramble the data and replace it with invalid information,such as a link to freezers to a user in Siberia.

Jus' thinkin"

Good Answers: 248
In reply to #16

03/26/2022 1:08 PM

error

exit 0

In reply to #15

03/26/2022 1:48 PM

So let me get this straight, you feel your life is in danger from the cookie monster?!?

In reply to #19

03/26/2022 2:30 PM

Nope! He eats cookies.We need more cookie monsters!

I think everyone ought to have one on their computer/phone.

I still think everyone should exchange cookies.

Run them through a "Cookie Blender"

That would make them useless.

Imagine a highway sign printed in Russian on an American highway,with no translation.You get the idea...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

HiTekRedNek (1); hitekrednek2 (8); PWSlack (1); Randall (3); SolarEagle (7)

Previous in Forum: Software Defined Radio   Next in Forum: Did April 1st come early this year?

Advertisement