Previous in Forum: Terminal Winding Resistances for a 3-phase Synchronous Motor   Next in Forum: Coupled 3 phase motor driving the same shaft
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Fires in EVs

03/28/2022 1:14 AM

What are the key reasons for a Lithium-ion Battery fire in EV's

> Thermal Runaway during discharging

> Thermal runaway during charging

> Thermal runaway at parking

> Cell Level Short circuit

> cell damage

> cell overvoltage / undervoltage

What are the latest developments for this protection.

any good lecture on this is available?

Google search has given me a mild result.

If some of you here has some good experience in this please do share.

In India, Summer has started and in last one week there were 8 EV fire incident , which has taken 2 lives.

any good level of discussion on this is appreciated

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1727

Re: Fires in EV Vehicle

03/28/2022 1:23 AM

What causes a lithium battery to catch fire?

Battery packs consist of thousands of cells packed together. During a thermal runaway, the heat generated by a failed cell can move to the next cell, causing it to become thermally unstable as well. This chain reaction can cause the entire pack to be destroyed within a few short seconds.

Nice blog that covers this topic ...

https://www.ionenergy.co/resources/blogs/battery-safety/

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031
In reply to #1

03/28/2022 7:50 AM

I'm thinking a tank of gasoline is much safer...

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #3

03/28/2022 1:44 PM

Safety of course is a matter of perspective depending on how one defines safety, but I guess the only thing I can offer is that a tank of gasoline is better understood.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

Re: Fires in EVs

03/28/2022 7:08 AM

What an excellent topic for a Google search.

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #2

04/07/2022 2:13 AM

Helpful!

Guru

In reply to #18

04/07/2022 11:25 AM

Is the cognitive dissonance deafening?

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796

03/28/2022 1:33 PM

People focus on EV fires, making it appear common, but how many gasoline car fires and explosions happen every day? The answer is that we rarely hear because it rarely gets reported (beyond the traffic reports when it causes a problem). A recent US govt report concluded that gasoline fires in cars are roughly 100x more common than EV fires, but that doesn’t make the news.

https://www.autoinsuranceez.com/gas-vs-electric-car-fires/

In reply to #4

03/28/2022 4:01 PM

I'm pretty sure that my car, with the battery shut off, is not going to burst into flames while parked in the garage and burn the house down while my family is sleeping....Electric car? not so much....

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #6

03/28/2022 11:10 PM

There have been a number of recalls for ICE-powered vehicles in the last couple of decades in which the recall notice warned the owner not to park the recalled vehicle in a garage attached to a house because there was a significant risk of the defective part starting a fire even when the car was shut down.

Guru

In reply to #8

03/29/2022 2:08 AM

That's why you have a battery disconnect...no chance of short to start a fire...not really possible in an EV which is probably on the charger all the time it's parked...

In reply to #11

03/30/2022 2:08 PM

Don't really care about the car as much as I do my family....the vehicle catching fire in traffic or along the road should not hurt anybody, and insurance should cover the damage....It's the starting on fire while parked, that's a concern for me...It's a sneak attack that can't be anticipated...

Good Answers: 86

03/28/2022 5:33 PM

Hey now, what's a tiny bit of local warming if you are spared the global one? You can't have it all now, can you?

Now that unprovoked local meltdown ehm.. warming seems to be happening only on individual compromised cells. The rest, that just follow a chain reaction are completely innocent and we shouldn't be pointing fingers.

Compromising cells now is done -unless from a manufacturing flaw which is rare- only if you ask a cell to go over its individual margin of safety one time more than you should. Too fast charging or discharging for the conditions or a charger-inverter circuit glitch, mechanical damage from shocking or vibration and shell deformation etc. Now where can this happen in a car is beyond me.

Now to get a bit serious, a cell by cell 24/7 parameter and health monitoring can be implemented and the posibility to isolate any single suspect cell get integrated in the system, plus a bit of local cooling and/or fire extinguishing if something gets out of hand is feasible technically. I also can't buy this compromice cannot be predicted on time by cell behavior history (capacity, esr, temps and unexpected changes on their charts.) It's of course a matter of priorities of the industry. S.M.

Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

03/28/2022 11:26 PM

If the EV is Autonomous, it could sense an overheating condition and drive itself to the fire station.

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #9

03/29/2022 12:00 AM

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #9

03/30/2022 5:08 AM

In reply to #9

03/30/2022 7:29 AM

...or towards a hostile military target, perhaps.

In reply to #13

03/30/2022 1:02 PM

. . . like at hostile targets in the Ukraine using stand-off deployment methods.

Anonymous Poster #1

04/04/2022 12:42 AM

https://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/two-wheelers/scooters-mopeds/heat-wave-on-ev-fires-raging-industry-in-a-huddle-shaken-not-stirred/90631751

https://www.deccanherald.com/business/what-s-causing-fire-in-electric-vehicles-1097381.html

Guru

In reply to #16

04/05/2022 12:41 AM

..."There have been at least thirty deaths involving incidents of Tesla car fires.[74 "...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_electric_vehicle_fire_incidents

How many must die before it's regarded as a serious problem?

04/07/2022 3:48 PM

If you would monitor the internal resistance and temperature of the battery pack, or preferably the batteries individually, then you could increase cooling on demand when needed...an isolation method for failing batteries would reduce the incidence of failure by thermal runaway even further...when a cell starts to overheat repeatedly or the internal resistance hits a certain point, it could be isolated from the pack, thus providing a safer and longer life for the pack, as well as providing for individual failed cell replacement....

..."The aged cells shown more probabilities of thermal runaway due to the increase of the internal resistance. However, it is possible to reduce the difference by increasing the cooling flow from 3 g/s to 50 g/s. "...

"Thermal runaway evaluation and thermal performance enhancement of a lithium-ion battery coupling cooling system and battery sub-models"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1359431121013089#!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Algeria (1); Anonymous Poster (2); Brave Sir Robin (3); JRaef (1); MNIce (2); PWSlack (3); Rixter (1); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (6)

Previous in Forum: Terminal Winding Resistances for a 3-phase Synchronous Motor   Next in Forum: Coupled 3 phase motor driving the same shaft

Advertisement