Previous in Forum: Controlling magnetism with superconductors   Next in Forum: UK Weather
Close
Close
Close
18 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 297

The king isn't wearing any clothes/cordless power tools

07/17/2022 5:01 AM

Every time I try to buy a new power tool: I'm presented with hundreds of cordless ones but cannot find any corded ones.

I just can't understand the attraction, unless you're forced to work more than 25 yards from a power point: batteries always run out half way through the job; you have to have a power point handy to recharge them; the units are heavier, clumsier and more expensive.

Is this an inexorable trend? Or will tradesmen and DIYers demand a change of direction?

Or is it me who's out on a limb here?

I've got an Asaki AS106 drill/driver

which I bought for about $25 several years ago, and I wanted to buy one for a friend but can't find anything similar in the UK now.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Associate

Good Answers: 3

Re: The king isn't wearing any clothes! / cordless power tools.

07/17/2022 8:07 AM

No problem here in Canada ....

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940
In reply to #1

07/17/2022 8:50 AM

Corded drills are easy to find in the USA, too. With cordless tools still evolving I suspect the profit margin is higher for cordless tools.

Batteries wear out and the chemistry evolves so old chemistry (NiMH) batteries may no longer be available before the tool wears out. No need to implement planned obsolescence, but that's probably why Randall is looking for a corded tool.

In reply to #1

07/18/2022 4:12 AM

Sorry, corded drills are still easy to get here too: it's a drill/driver (with torque setting) I'm looking for. I know that Makita and Skil still make them, but they're outrageously expensive.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #5

07/18/2022 7:52 PM

I always wondered what the major hand power tools were in other country’s were…

here, you’d have Dewalt, makita, Bosch, Milwaukee.

I was working on a pizza manufacturing green field project, and some of the other contractors who were installing their equipment were Italians…

I thought they may have rented their power tools, I talked to them a little bit, but they didn’t speak much English, but they did say that they brought their own tools.

it was all Milwaukee, I thought that was interesting. The project was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin also. About 40 miles from the actual Milwaukee tool factory.

In reply to #8

07/20/2022 5:40 AM

Bosch, Dewalt, Black and Decker, Makita, MacAlister, Ryobi. Milwaukee is available but I don't have any knowledge. Because I'm a cheapskate I regularly go for "shop brands" like Erbauer and Titan at Scewfix, and Wickes branded stuff and Ferrex at Aldi.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #10

07/20/2022 7:25 AM

I would do that also, to a certain degree, but when you use it often, such as in a trade. You really notice the quality difference. That goes for other hand tools. But as a diy’er, with occasional use, price can trump quality,

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #10

07/20/2022 8:34 PM

About 2 years ago, I bought a battery powered, Ferrex brand 10' extendable chainsaw for pruning tree limbs at Aldi's. I bought it figuring the tool would be useable as long as the small lithium battery lasts. It was 1/2 the price of a Harbor Freight saw (obviously a close-out).

It's already paid for itself 3x over. I checked on Ebay and Amazon and the cost of a replacement battery is 80% of what I paid for the tool, so when the battery goes, I'll just buy another tool. My original 1976 battery powered drill NiCd battery lasted almost a decade, so I expect a decade out of this lithium battery.

For occasional use, occasional use tools do OK in my book.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

07/17/2022 8:29 AM

As long as you have the batteries charged, and is of decent capacity and strength, it’s my opinion, cordless is the way to go.

having a a fabrication shop and also a n avid DIY’r, on a number of projects. I’d prefer cordless.

I have bought a corded DeWalt skillsaw… but have since also bought a cordless Dewalt skillsaw, smaller saw blade. But when it comes to hand tools,… I do enjoy it.

an Asaki drill motor, I never heard of that brand. But then we’re on the other side of the pond.

Good Answers: 1751

07/17/2022 8:27 PM

There are plenty of corded drills available, but I don't think Asaki is sold in UK anymore, for whatever reason...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/230-V-Corded-Drills/184654/bn_9422107

...as a mechanic I went to cordless many years ago because they are faster to setup and the cord, being non-existent, doesn't get in the way and no danger of electrocution working in wet environments...You need 3 batteries, that way you can charge your batteries as they run low and maintain a constant supply, plus the batteries are interchangeable with other tools, like a sawzall, second drill or driver, lantern and others...

In reply to #4

07/18/2022 6:54 AM

I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, but, it still seems like a much more expensive way to go especially when you need at least two batteries per tool.

Is Aldi a thing in the US: they have a large selection of cheap tools with compatible batteries?

In reply to #6

07/18/2022 4:32 PM

In reply to #7

07/20/2022 5:30 AM

Maxwell's only available "up North"; Homebase is a bit "posh" the stores are well laid out and there are always plenty of staff to help, but, their own brand stuff is the worst cheaply made stuff I've come across. Hard to go wrong with B&Q, Wickes, Screwfix and Toolstation (part of Wickes). The Range has some reasonable very cheap stuff. Wilkinsons is worth a mention for good paint prices and incredibly "pick and mix" hardware: screws, washers, nuts, bolts, hooks etc. about $5 a kilogram. Oh and Poundland especially for glue.

07/20/2022 7:46 AM

Thanks to all who replied: I found this, and bought 2 ( for my friend and 1 for myself).

That's about $38 each.

They have arrived and appear to be very good quality. I will update if they fail, or, don't work as expected.

In reply to #12

07/21/2022 7:31 PM

I like my drills to have a hammer drill setting, a must for masonry....

In reply to #15

07/22/2022 4:27 AM

Yes: I've got a normal hammer drill and an SDS drill: it's the screwdriver functionality that I was after.

I bought one of the new drivers for myself just to keep in reserve for when the Asaki gives up the ghost.

But I notice that the new one has a huge advantage. When I'm joining wood I always drill pilot holes; I've found that measuring positions doesn't work very well, so, I always drill one end; put in a small screw; drill the other end and put in a small screw; drill the intermediate holes; put in the intermediate screws. and finally remove the small screws and fit the full sized ones. For a large job I always use a drill and a driver to avoid swapping between drill bit and driver bit. With the new tool I see that I can fit the drill bit in the chuck and easily swap between drilling and driving.

In reply to #16

07/22/2022 5:10 AM

That does sound like a good idea....interesting to see if it holds up...maybe it starts falling off after a while or something....

In reply to #16

07/22/2022 6:30 AM

I bought an SDS drill from Harbor freight over 20 years ago for $50 ish dollars…

still going strong, I liked that at the time I bought it, they included a spare set of brushes.

now they have a higher end sds drills.

for our friends across the pond, Harbor Freight is a ‘discount’ tool supplier.

Good Answers: 253

07/20/2022 8:54 AM

I have a golf cart I use for patrolling my property,and I use a 36 volt cordless recip. saw for trimming over growth on the trails.The golf cart is also 36 volt,and I have added an auxiliary plug to power the tools from the golf cart if needed on a long day instead of carrying extra batteries.I haven't run the golf cart batteries down so far.

I have even used the golf cart 36 volt on 24 volt tools,but only for short periods to prevent overheating,but man do they fly! Been doing that for over 5 years,and using common sense to prevent burnout,no heat related failures yet.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Carl_E (1); HiTekRedNek (1); phoenix911 (4); Randall (6); redfred (1); SolarEagle (4); Trees4Life (1)

Previous in Forum: Controlling magnetism with superconductors   Next in Forum: UK Weather

Advertisement