Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 253

A double shaft double clutch brake motor drive

11/09/2022 2:36 AM

I am looking for a double shafted motor,with output shaft on each end,and each output with a clutch/brake that can be energized electrically independently without stopping the motor.

Anyone know of a source?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1744

Re: A double shaft double clutch brake motor drive

11/09/2022 2:58 AM

Good Answers: 293

11/09/2022 4:53 AM

Can the "double shaft" be a single shaft running right through the motor?

Good Answers: 253
In reply to #2

11/09/2022 5:16 AM

Yes,that is what I want,but I did not explain it very clearly.

Good Answers: 293

11/09/2022 6:12 AM

https://www.globalspec.com/SpecSearch/SearchForm/motion_controls/motors/ac_motors

Or choose other than AC_motors

Together with SE's suggestion.

Good Answers: 74

11/10/2022 1:08 AM

Baldor lists both shaft mounted clutch/brakes and motors, so they might be best to special order (most likely) a motor with full rated Opposite Drive End shaft extension dimensioned to couple a clutch brake, where the driven shaft is braked once the driver end is unclutched. Standard motor brakes stop the motor shaft when power is removed from the motor.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 59

11/10/2022 3:34 AM

This made me think of a grinder motor with the two shaft ends. Put an electric clutch on each end. A likely source is the blade drive for a ride on mower or even the automobile AC compressor drive clutch. Both can be scavenged from many sources.

Of course you did not say how big the motor is but then you could use a single output shaft motor to drive a lay shaft through belts, chains, etc!

Good Answers: 74
In reply to #6

11/10/2022 10:29 AM

Good McGyver clutch sources, but you would need two on each drive shaft to provide the brake function, I think.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 59
In reply to #9

11/11/2022 4:12 AM

Considering I have bought ride on mowers from the local dump shop for $25 to $30 dollars then spares are really cheap plus all the extra goodies like 6 speed gearboxes with included differential, now there is a thought, hook a motor up to the input shaft.

You get 6 speeds and you only need 2 electric clutches or even centrifugal clutches.

Ah McGyver you've done it again! McGyver was the favourite of my kids and I even bought them the box set of DVDs to inspire them in my machine/work shop.

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #6

11/15/2022 11:01 PM

There are at least two kinds of engineers. You sound like the first kind. My favorite kind.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

11/10/2022 4:46 AM

?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

11/10/2022 7:19 AM
Anonymous Poster #1

11/14/2022 12:36 AM

No, you’re not. You’re asking subscribers here to do it for you. Don’t be so lazy.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 122

11/16/2022 8:45 PM

For off-the-shelf items, you probably can use a double-shafted motor (output shafts on both ends), with which I am sure your a familiar. Clutch/brake modules are frequently made for C-Face mounting onto a C-face motor, but I have never seen a double-shafted double C-Face motor.

So, start with the standard double-shafted motor and couple a separate foot-mounted clutch/brake module onto each of the output shafts. This will give you a motor that can run continuously but has each end with separate control of when the motor is driving either connected load. This approach will work. The only problem will be ensuring proper alignment of the separately mounted motor and clutch/brake modules.

You might be able to have Baldor or a similar manufacturer direct you to an existing double C-face motor design, or create one for you without too much difficulty.

--JMM

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); HiTekRedNek (1); jmueller (1); PWSlack (2); Randall (2); rwilliams (2); SolarEagle (1); Stef (2); Waylan (1)

Previous in Forum: Terra preta   Next in Forum: Awesome skills

Advertisement