Previous in Forum: IONOOSPHERIC DISTURBANCE   Next in Forum: Combined Speed And Direction Meter For Space Ship.
Close
Close
Close
10 comments

Hangar Door Details

12/12/2007 5:04 AM

Hi

I am looking for some good autocad details of airplane hangar doors that roll on a bottom track.

Do you know where I might find any?

thank you

davidaar@comcast.net

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Interested in everything- see my Profile please APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Hobbies - Musician - Autoharp and Harmonica Hobbies - Hunting - Member Hobbies - Fishing - Member

Location: Christchurch, (The Garden City), South Island, New Zealand
Good Answers: 229

Re: Hangar Door Details

12/12/2007 7:56 AM

Hello davidaar,

Do you realize that most hangar doors roll on a track above the door, for avery practical reason?

A floor installed track is going to fill up with windblown/other rubbish, and needs to be cleaned out by vacuum cleaner, several times each day, to comply with strict aircraft repair requirements/Regulations.

For that reason, most Airport Authorities, Local Bodies, and Aeronautical firms do not allow use of the floor rail system.

Remember, in most jurisdictions that hangar is going to be regularly inspected and certified as safe.

Advise further please, with location, and other useful details such as door height, track length, door material/weight, and so on.

Thanks for your reply.....

In reply to #1

12/12/2007 11:19 AM

Thank You

We are in Little Rock, AR. Right now I am trying to put together some details for a local company and all they have presented to me are doors on bottom tracks with an upper guide track.

I am just trying to find some autocad details to get started with. I have a few but the more the better

thanks again

david a

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

12/13/2007 5:47 AM

What do you mean Acad details?

In reply to #3

12/13/2007 6:13 AM

AutoCad Drafting - AutoCad is a computer based electronic drafting and design program

I hope this helps

thanks

david a

Commentator
Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 4

12/13/2007 7:13 AM

Actually, as I read this thread, you should be looking at a product first and then detail it. start by looking at www.arcat.com and if you can't find aircraft hanger doors, you might go look at the sweets catalog site (don't know it off hand). The manufacturers of the doors should give you advice about detailing if they don't have the details already generated.

and... the bottom track isn't the support track... it's the guide track. support would be at the top. usually these doors are so heavy, they are not self supporting. which also means that you'll need something substantial (structural steel) at the head detail for mounting.

In reply to #5

12/13/2007 7:30 AM

thank you

I will go to the website and I did find a few details at sweets but I must not know how to use their site or it is overloaded and slow - it locks up quite often when I am trying to open a dwg

http://www.construction.com/ProductCenter/default.asp

or

www.Sweets.com

thanks again

david a

Guru

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #6

12/13/2007 9:36 AM

There are a variety of door types used, depending on the size of the opening. How large is the door you're looking for?

Instead of Sweets, find the door manufacturer's themselves and see what they have available.

Depending on structural requirements, some rolling doors will have a bottom roller/guideway to keep the door in alignment. The extra mantenance is part of the price of reduced structure cost.

12/13/2007 4:02 PM

By the way, We have quite a few hanger doors here at a air force installation in CA and all the doors are supported from the ground track. The tops are only guide channels. Some are are driven and some are electric but all work just fine and have been for many years. Ferguson Door and Rolling Door Company are a couple we have but both are out of business I think.

In reply to #8

12/13/2007 6:37 PM

Thanks for all of the comments from everyone. I have found a few details and I will keep looking.

Thanks for posting the URLs too - I will be searcing those too

thanks again

david a

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #9

06/11/2008 2:47 AM

Iam looking for structural specs of air craft hanger door fabrication. Like frame details, and for anynstandards on this subject and drawings if any on jobs executed by present manufacturers of air crfat hanger doors

Reply to Forum Thread 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (3); Architect3451 (1); davidaar (4); Ried (1); Sparkstation (1)

Previous in Forum: IONOOSPHERIC DISTURBANCE   Next in Forum: Combined Speed And Direction Meter For Space Ship.
You might be interested in: Interior Doors, Exterior Doors, Industrial Doors

Advertisement