Previous in Forum: high temperature termocouples   Next in Forum: Position of the handle of the isolaton valve of the pressure safety valve (PSV)
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Active Contributor

Leakage Detection of Undergruond fire line

02/14/2008 9:38 PM

Dear all,

How to detect a location of leakage of underground fire line without digging ?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Leakage Detection of Undergruond fire line

02/15/2008 6:03 AM

Perhaps there is water coming out, and mud in the vicinity at all times of year?

Good Answers: 37

02/15/2008 8:34 AM

Where are you located? We had a problem where we were unable to locate a leak in our fire line. Our building is about 2 million square feet over 147 acres. Fire lines were fed from 2 municipalities. We had a company come in with electronic listening devices and they located the leak within 2 feet. He also located several shut off valves with problems needing attention. The fire line is located under about 18 to 24 inches of blacktop and crushed stone. I was impressed with his results.

We are in the New York City area. If you contact me I can give you the name of the company if needed or you could probably locate someone within your area.

In reply to #2

02/17/2008 8:56 PM

Thank you very much. I m in Sri Lanka (Near To India). I think travelling will be a problem.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

02/20/2008 2:03 PM

i've put mercaptain (natural gas ordorizer) in lines then just follow the smell. Don't do this in an area where they is also natural gas with the same odor because people will think its a gas leak.

Hexafloural Shulphide is used as a tracer too.

They make a biodegradable bright green dye that will allow you to find leaks in araes always wet.

The ultrasonic noise detection is great.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); charsley99 (1); Priyan (1); PWSlack (1)

Previous in Forum: high temperature termocouples   Next in Forum: Position of the handle of the isolaton valve of the pressure safety valve (PSV)

Advertisement