Previous in Forum: Urethane vs Latex   Next in Forum: Chemicals used to make PUF
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Associate

CTE of the epoxy

02/28/2008 9:34 PM

I got one question, I already did CTE measurement and the results show the changes of the specimen length (dL) value is negative. It is possible the samples shrink during the test operation or it might be caused by the rheology of the epoxy itself.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Active Contributor

Re: CTE of the epoxy

02/29/2008 8:36 AM

Your specimen may not have been fully cured before you tested it. Further cross linking will cause shrinkage. Try post curing your specimens before testing.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Commentator

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #1

02/29/2008 11:35 AM

Exactly! Usual ASTM time for post-curing plastics is >48 hours. Good show, thixotrope, and good science. There are a few negative CTE resins, but if you get something screwy it is just good practice to double check your experiment.

Good Answers: 109

03/01/2008 4:35 AM

Hi,

this problem is much more complicated!

As stated by others: curing may not be complete.

And: mixing may be not good enough causing uncured and incurable regions to slowly evaporate part of the mix.

And: mixing may be slightly deviating from ideal ratio: resulting in the same problem of evaporation and bleeding.

And: volatile content to be removed by post-cure is not totally removed (else the epoxi will show sign of beginning damage)

And: water content is in an equilibrium (longterm) with your environment or lab, slowly diffusing out or in depending on outside and inside conditions. Rising water content will expand the specimen.

This problem caused some delay in the Hubble Space Telescope as the fabrication of the bars that fix the distance between primary and secondary mirror/camera had to be corrected. At fabrication the carbon-fiber-epoxi contained water as usual, at measurement a different amount in use all diffusing out! So an outgassing procedure (mostly water going out but some other too) was designed and a shielding of the outgassed bars to prevent water going in again.

There are a lot of data compiled by NASA and ESA "Outgassing data for spacecraft materials" that show how different the amount of volatile material can be.

So coming back to your problem:

I would do the test with different post-curing time/temperature data, with very thorough mixing of very precise ratio of the two epoxi parts,

if this is still not ok then I would deviate slightly from the recommended mixing ratio to see if this has an influence.

I would measure the weight loss at post curing as an indicator of material diffusing out and I would measure in a controlled humidity after minimum 24hours of accommodation in this atmosphere (if the strip is 1 mm thick).

RHABE

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

03/18/2008 7:30 AM

hye all..thanks for the comment.. a lot of appreciate..and that comment is usefull for me..thanks again for your help

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Ben Bonsens (1); RHABE (1); thixotrope (1)

Previous in Forum: Urethane vs Latex   Next in Forum: Chemicals used to make PUF

Advertisement