Previous in Forum: Lube Oil Contamination in Compressors   Next in Forum: Hydraulic Cylinder Control
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Anonymous Poster

Material Specification for Gate Valve

05/31/2006 8:25 AM

jalel dhaouadi writes:
For gate valves 6'' API 6D design WE asked for a body A216WCB and solid wedge disc A182 F6.
We received an offer body A216WCB and disc flexible wedge WCB+13%Cr.
Could anyone help to explain the difference between the two disc specs and if the offered is acceptable from material equivalence point of view?
NB for the stem the offer was as asked A182F6.

Pathfinder Tags: discs gate valves materials valves
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Active Contributor

Gate Valve Spec

06/01/2006 10:16 AM

Spoke to an engineer on our staff who handles these items and he replies: Hi Ken, Body specification is offered as the same (i.e. A216WCB, the original specification for the flexible wedge is ASTM A182 F6, and what was offered is WCB+13% Cr. If I look at the specification in detail for ASTM A182 F6 the actual material is a 13% Chromium Alloy steel, so in other words I believe they are getting what they asked for. Cr13, 410ss, or F6 ASTM A182-F6a This is the most common trim material for carbon steel valves. C Mn P S Si Cr Mo Ni ASTM A182-F6a 0.15 max 1.00 max 0.04 0.03 1.00 max 11.5 to 13.5 ... 0.50 max Carbon Manganese Phosphorus Sulpher Silicon Chromium Molybdenum Nickel This reference information may be used as a guide only. Before specifying any material for a given application all factors must be taken into consideration and the proper ASTM, API, ANSI, ASME, MSS, or other related specifications must be consulted. Tony

Participant

In reply to #1

Re:Gate Valve Spec

07/12/2006 2:03 AM

I think there is no harm in using WCB+13%Cr. This is now common spec every body fllows to reduce cost of forging and flexible wedge gives better life in high teperatures as compared to solid wedge.And size is not small it is 6" and with offered spec I think you are paying less compared to specs.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #1

Re: Gate Valve Spec

06/14/2007 8:32 AM

Can we use Stellite 6 insted on 13% cr

Anonymous Poster

Re: Material Specification for Gate Valve

06/14/2007 8:34 AM

No please explain me

Reply to Forum Thread 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); Ken (1); Raj100 (1)

Previous in Forum: Lube Oil Contamination in Compressors   Next in Forum: Hydraulic Cylinder Control
You might be interested in: Gate Valves, Gate Drive Transformers, Gate Drivers

Advertisement