Previous in Forum: VR Room Aids Medical and Defense Design   Next in Forum: Contact Recording Devices
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Organizer Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 32

A Cell Phone Ring Tone Only Kids Can Hear

06/13/2006 12:00 PM

Are your teenagers tuning into a cell phone ring tone that you can't hear? In places where cell phones are forbidden, crafty kids are avoiding detection by using a ring tone that is inaudible to grownups. Although most human communication takes place in a frequency range between 200 and 8,000 Hz, most adults' ability to hear frequencies higher than that begins to deteriorate in early middle age. Ironically, the popular ring tone is a modified version of an "ultrasonic teenage repellant" that was designed to keep loitering teens away from storefronts. Click here for more information. You can also try to listen to the ring tone.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
The Feature Creep

Hoax

06/13/2006 3:20 PM

This made the rounds not to long ago. While the technology is real, it's called Mosquito, the part about using it as a ring-tone is not true. The problem is that current cellphones can not produce the high pitched tones that make up the audible part of the youth deterrent.

Far from a Hoax

06/14/2006 8:14 AM

Calling it a hoax without doing some simple research is a very lazy statement. Lots of cell phones these days have speakers built into the side of the case. The quality is far from perfect but they have no problem generating high pitched frequencies. Out of curiosity I recorded a 10KHz to 20KHz sine sweep and played it back through my phone while checking it with a real time analyzer. My phone starts to roll off around 16.5KHz and is barely audible at 18KHz. The problem with the high frequency ring tone is if you are in a large group of people, it is very difficult to distinguish which phone is actually ringing.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #2

Re:Far from a Hoax

06/18/2006 6:44 PM

It's not a hoax. I can use it on a phone, and my parents, and others older than around lets say.. 25.. Cant hear it at all.. A phone can do it, it's already been proven. So looks like you need to do research first, because cant just decide a phone can't do that.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #3

11/17/2006 7:55 AM

I can hear it just fine and I'm 27.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster
In reply to #4

08/05/2007 11:09 PM

I also can hear it and I'm 54!

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

Re: A Cell Phone Ring Tone Only Kids Can Hear

12/07/2007 8:03 PM

where can you here te ringtone i heard it from a friend on the bus.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: VR Room Aids Medical and Defense Design   Next in Forum: Contact Recording Devices

Advertisement