Previous in Forum: New hypothesis on the Universe.   Next in Forum: Are we ready for colonisation of other Planets
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Anonymous Poster

Can water from other planets compensate for our water footprints?

03/31/2008 12:46 PM

Hello All,

Reading about the news of finding water on one of planet Saturn's moon, made me to think, weather we would be able to get supply from other planets, as we are running out of our water supplies on Earth very fast with every city population growing by a million every week!!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Re: Can water from other planets compensate for our water footprints?

03/31/2008 12:56 PM

It's an interesting idea, but not very likely. The expense, time frames involved and the lack of a scalable hauling option make it a non-starter.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

03/31/2008 12:57 PM

I don't think we would go through that much trouble. Desalination is orders of magnitude cheaper than harvesting water from other planets and moons. After all, remember what happened to Spock after drinking Scalosian water!

Also, every cities' populations are not expanding at a rate of one million per week, unless you are talking about the sewer rats.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Anonymous Poster

03/31/2008 1:30 PM

And how to get it back to Earth? Laying a pipe would cost us a fortune in plumber fees! I suppose we could develop a sort of water-bottle machine gun which could fire an endless string of convenient 1 liter bottles back toward Earth. But then the water gets warm during atmospheric entry and all the bottles constantly falling from the sky makes it no fun to be outdoors.

Guru

Good Answers: 87

03/31/2008 2:15 PM

These sorts of comments drive me crazy.

There is no shortage of water on our planet... We have plenty of water. In fact reading Roger's recent posts, it seems all the ice is going and we we have more than plenty.

The engineering problem is getting clean drinkable water to the places that need it.

That is much easier solved by moving it around the earth rather bringing it in from space. As has been mentioned, desalinization is one solution.

If you were going to import something from Saturn I would suggest it would make more sense to import H2 than H2O.... but either is going to be pretty expensive...

Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Anonymous Poster

03/31/2008 3:18 PM

Contrary to some "greenist" theories, the H2O on this planet stays on this planet. It never leaves our atmosphere and continuously cycles. In fact, once we humans "use" it, it isn't used at all. The word "used" would imply that it is forever lost and can never be returned - not so at all - it stays with us.

Now about that pipeline from Mars...

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #5

03/31/2008 5:16 PM

I agree with the last two post, that is craziest idea of them all, water processing is the problem not sources. if yall don't remember, let me remind you 70% of the earth is covered in this stuff, and it even has it's own purification system, i.e. rain. So for all the outlandish responses from the people that are not engineers, Keep It Simple Stupid, and you can remove a lot of the problems that you people create, like ethanol!

Commentator

Good Answers: 5

04/01/2008 1:24 PM

My children all knew and understood the water cycle by the time they completed their third year of schooling. I wish more adults understood it.

No, trucking water from far away planets is not necesary, or wise.

Reply to Forum Thread 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Anonymous Poster (3); Chris Leonard (1); Fierce Allegiance (1); Steve S. (1)

Previous in Forum: New hypothesis on the Universe.   Next in Forum: Are we ready for colonisation of other Planets

Advertisement