Previous in Forum: Old classic bike seat broken!   Next in Forum: Cleanliness,packing &rust prevention
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 7

Another eco vehicle discussion, but with a twist.

05/11/2008 2:28 PM

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/multimedia/2008/05/gallery_alt_fuel_motorcycles

Yes we can all laugh at the pictures and roflmbo at the comparisons they make in the headlines of these articles but there are some serious questions. If you don't buy this, and I know I have not, where does the money come from for these puny little non sensical useless non performing monstrosities to develop into what we really want and will use?

These little darlings must have already cost a fortune to have become what they are here but it cannot stop here so who foots that bill? Is it fair to let private investors to do this and run the risk while all governments jump on the band waggons and "make" us do all sorts of energy saving things by punishment of tax if we don't.

I am sure some of you have something useful to say about this debate so lets have it.

p.s. I generalised grotesquely when I stated all were ugly and useless, that is not true of course and personally I really like the leaning three wheeler form the Netherlands for instance.

p.p.s to be bad ass your bike needs to make a loud noise

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 114

Re: Another eco vehicle discussion, but with a twist.

05/12/2008 2:28 AM

The leaner is interesting.

Contrary to popular belief loud pipes just piss off the neighbors.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #1

05/12/2008 3:10 AM

loud pipes also make aware the other drivers on the road

a friend of mine use to say 'loud pipes save lives'

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Engineering Fields - Transportation Engineering - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Technical Fields - Procurement - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Engineering Fields - Architectural Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Marketing/Advertising - New Member Engineering Fields - Food Process Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

05/12/2008 4:58 AM

Only if the drivers are behind you!

Loud pipes decrease the acceptability of motorcycles by the general public & lead to more & more restrictive laws. Your freedom ends where my ears begin

Register to Reply
Commentator
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #3

05/12/2008 8:24 AM

Bull! I have had my loud pipes cause people who were not paying attention to snap their head back in my direction before they were about to cut me off (hence they were in front of me and still heard my pipes). I idle the bike in when coming home late and nobody complains.

In reply to #3

05/12/2008 11:56 AM

Personally I find a high pitched screeching noise of some 2 stroke moped much more offensive to the ears than any normal motorbike at normal use. In any of the instances you will have idiots that abuse their freedom and take the piss when it comes to noise.

Ergo you will find crotch rockets, Harleys and car drivers that piss their neighbours off with their loud exhausts.

My pipes are low noise for normal use but are able to bark when I need them to. I am convinced that it has made some people aware of my presence when otherwise they would not have been and potentially would have moved without even looking.

I have marked this off topic as I would like to also see peoples ideas about these new "trendy" vehicles. Has anyone seen one on the road or not?

I know I started it myself, sorry for the noise remark but the point I was trying to make is that I heard numerous reports of people getting nearly run over by an electric bus as they could not hear it coming.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #5

05/12/2008 5:08 PM

No problem dude,

I knew I would receive abuse for daring to find loud pipes objectionable. I suppose there would be shit storm if I advocated helmet use. I cringe everytime I see a kid blow by in flip flops, tee shirt, shorts & a beanie. I never mentioned any particular style or brand, to each his own. The overly loud minority, makes it rough for the rest of us both on & off road. Paying attention & wearing bright colors will prevent far more accidents than loud pipes.

I've seen a couple of these running around http://spyder.brp.com/

No fuel cells or electrics yet.

Guru

In reply to #6

05/13/2008 8:25 AM

No problems with steel capped safety flip flops, is there?

That spyder looks cool. Never seen any myself except for the Dutch three wheeler leaning vehicle. I want one of those really badly

Guru

Good Answers: 2

05/15/2008 6:03 AM

BSA (if my ailing memory serves) tried atriculated trike idea in the late '60s or early '70s didn't they.

Didn't catch on then and I have my doubts about it doing so now. Personally I can't quite see the logic behind a trike. It takes up the same space on the road as a 4-wheeled vehicle. Having said that I see that mass might be spared.

The Dutch effort has also got it wrong, imho, by having the single wheel at the front (unless impact from behind is the major issue, which might be the case if it goes drearily slowly!)

In reply to #8

05/15/2008 1:04 PM

It does in fact not go slowly and is heaps of fun. I have not driven it but seen video's of it and heard and read reports. The idea is to give you the outlook of the bike experience, hence the single wheel up front, but the stability of a car, combined with the incredible lean angle it can have. It actually has a warning led scale and it ends with a buzzer tot ell you your are having fun

Personally I like trikes but for other reasons than I like the bikes. Yes you have a similar width, although not necessarily so, but you are still out in the wind. If my legs gave up I would not have any problem with triking it the rest of my riding days.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #9

05/22/2008 6:24 AM

I have no doubt powerfull trikes are fun and give some of the motorcycle feel, but from a fun perspective I'll take the motorcycle any time. Chaqu'un à son goût.

I was musing over such an architecture more from the ecological standpoint, as a mainstream commuter vehicle say.

05/21/2008 9:34 PM

I saw the trike on an episode of future car. Looked like a blast. It might bring a few more to the motorcycle ranks. An advantage that I can think of would be stability on wet pavement. The canopy would be nice in cooler weather too. As for the loud pipes. Yes, you can get attention but I know from experience that it does not always work. I have a rebuilt foot to prove it. T-boned by a pick up coming from a stop sign. I had right of way. Truck won. I was on a sportster with drag pipes and no baffles. How friggin loud do they have to be? By the way, his windows were down.

The Mechanic

Register to Reply
Associate

05/24/2008 10:12 AM

im familiar with some of those bikes.familiar might be too much to say but a couple were here for the auto expo in delhi and others i checked online.i might be wrong but i dont think they'r 'eco-friendly' or alt-fuel bikes at all.just crazy concepts.

they can get the research and funds only because thy tryout new material and steering concepts.

feel free to shoot me down if they actually turn out to be alt-fuel tho im pretty sure thats not the point to any of these bikes.i guess the big-shot auto people have to do their share for the environment so they couple their other research with these lame eco fuel crap.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); case491 (3); Garthh (3); Hellcat (1); JimR79 (1); shanky1367 (1); Wrenched (2)

Previous in Forum: Old classic bike seat broken!   Next in Forum: Cleanliness,packing &rust prevention
You might be interested in: Fuel Cells, Fuel Testers, Fuel Dispensing Equipment

Advertisement